The Bard's Tale IV - Now on Kickstarter

I'm pretty sure the majority would disagree with you there, but you also seem to claim that about every game. ;)

She is absolutely right though.

And here is why (all MMX stuff)
The game is extremely unbalanced. And if you know about it, and use it to your advantage it also is extremely easy. Like the skill which let's you attack twice…or the enchantment which lets you attack twice. Once you got access to that stuff, which is about when you leave the first area, the game basically becomes expontentially easier until in the end it's just a joke.
That's also the reason why I didn't even bother with the DLC. I basically already played a group of gods. No need for just a sight seeing tour. It was a nice game nevertheless…but the balancing was horrible and a few other mechanics like no xp when being stunned, having a tank class but no tank mechanic and ranged class without working ranged combat were horrible as well.

Edit: If you'd like to check, see a video here, where I fight some stuff in the very last area. And here at the position the link points, you can also see all the stuff I had at the end of the game and what route I went. The most overpowered character was the blade dancer. Having two attacks with two daggers, which both attack twice and proc multiple times on ALL enemies (not just the target), everything with a ~50% crit chance was just insane. And one of the weapons also drained mana, which then could be used to attack all enemies at once every now and then…
On on top of that the same character could attack again if she killed one enemy in that turn…a pure killing machine.
At the same time I used a weapon with the barb through the whole game and which he wasn't trained in, just because it had double attack and was still more powerful than a up to date weapon in the trained category.
Oh, and I played without having deaths to make it more interesting…

Last edited:
Not sure what that's supposed to prove. Almost any game can be made easy if you're determined to min-max everything and build your party in the very best way possible.

Thing is, there's no way of knowing how to do that without already having played the game at least once or using a strategy guide to plan it ahead of time. That's assuming the player even wants to.

Not really. And that was really not min maxed. ^^
In my group of 4 characters happens to be one character of the strongest of 12 classes.
And of course I take the strongest enchantment when I found it. Why wouldn't I...
Sure, I didn't take a different dagger just because it had the nicer icon. But that's hardly minmaxing.

Against Bards Tale 2 MMX is a walk in the park.

I don't share the sentiment. To me staying in combat in 1st person view only because the old Bard Tales were like that is not a valid reason. Changing combat to a tactical map opens up a whole new dimension in tactics. Positioning, flanking, area of control, etc. It works great for games like Heroes of Might & Magic and King's Bounty, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity Original Sin. Losing so many possibilities only because 'the old bard tales were 1st person combat' is a wasted opportunity, it doesn't add anything to the gameplay.
It is not just because the old Bard Tales were first person. It is really a different experience and though it is true that you're losing on the tactical side you gain in immersion and focus. And yet there are plenty of opportunities for tactical features.

Don't get me wrong I also like 3rd person turn based combat, though I admit to be biased to first person views when it comes to rpgs. However Heroes of Might and Magic is probably my favorite game ever (well, at least the old ones), but there are many games with that type of combat and a really shortage of first person party based combat games.

I'm pretty sure the majority would disagree with you there, but you also seem to claim that about every game. ;)
For me M&MX went really downhill after a certain point in the third act on warrior difficulty, and I'm not one who always find games easy. The only challenge left were those fucking thugs who always replied to my attacks, sturdy, good damage and high hitting chance. In fact I had to leave the DLC just because of that... without plenty of potions on my side It was really frustrating to beat those guys.

Calling MMX easy is silly. Most games are easy once you've mastered them, it's not rocket science.

MMX required a certain level of understanding - and you had to spend time adapting to mechanics and such.

That said, I found a powerful combination relatively quickly - and the game wasn't hard after that. Well, at least not for the dozens of hours I played it.

It may be a conceit, but I'm pretty sure I'm what you might consider an experienced gamer with a talent for tactics and strategy.

But I don't have to call a game easy just because I've mastered it. That's for people with too much ego, really.

I did not say that about dark souls :D

Maybe I should have said the game is so unbalanced that it makes it easy if you happen to pick the right classes on your first play-through, it can probably also be hard if you pick the wrong classes. However I did not read any strategy guide or restart the game even once, might be I was just lucky with my party.

I don't share the sentiment. To me staying in combat in 1st person view only because the old Bard Tales were like that is not a valid reason. Changing combat to a tactical map opens up a whole new dimension in tactics. Positioning, flanking, area of control, etc. It works great for games like Heroes of Might & Magic and King's Bounty, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity Original Sin. Losing so many possibilities only because 'the old bard tales were 1st person combat' is a wasted opportunity, it doesn't add anything to the gameplay.

When they say zoomed out, they don't necessarily and probably don't mean zoomed out to an isometric or overhead view. Sure that works in some games, but if you are going to do that it makes sense to have the whole game in isometric view, because complete mode changes are disorienting.

I think they haven't actually decided exactly what they are going to do, but the problem with first person blobbers, such as the recent Grimrock, has been that you can't differentiate your characters in first person view, so it can feel a bit like you are just controlling a single character. So maybe what they have in mind is the camera shifting backwards along a slight upward curve, showing your entire party. Then when you select a particular character it could show the battlefield from that character's perspective.

So maybe what they have in mind is the camera shifting backwards along a slight upward curve, showing your entire party. Then when you select a particular character it could show the battlefield from that character's perspective.

That's the impression i got as well. I don't think they mean to switch to a real top-down battlefield where characters and mosters move around.
I think they will keep standard blobber combat, just zoom the camera a bit out to let you see the characters do stuff. Think Disciples for example.

They just put out an in engine video. It shows what they plan to do with combat as well.

I just hope there presentation then isn't similar like in JRPGs, where everyone is standing at one side, picks an action, runs to the enemy, hits him, and then runs back to his spot.
Or that party member just hit the air, and a monter on the other side of the room takes damage.

They just put out an in engine video. It shows what they plan to do with combat as well.

Don't think it does!? in the related update:

"We are still debating the best ways to present combat as that is ultimately dictated by the final budget, but rest assured it will be party and turn/phase based."

@Kordanor - don't reckon they could get away with that, whatever budget they finally get :).

If there is no any added value in the form of tactic possibilities, it would be really stupid to make 3rd person combat actually.

Back
Top Bottom