Overfall - Review @ Vox Ludicus

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Vox Ludicus has reviewed Overfall:

Review: Overfall

Overfall is one of those games: it takes a bundle of genres and puts them together, each with varying depth and intricacy. It’s a game of role-playing, as you create your initial party, recruit followers and do quests for multiple factions; of strategy, as you’ll have to balance managing your supplies and food alongside the grid, turn-based combat; and roguelike, as each procedurally generated run will have different routes and permanent death, should both of your original party members perish. As is often the cases with these types of games, the question to be asked is whether these different genres coalesce into something meaningful or just fall into a convoluted, identity-lacking heap.

[...]

Overfall wears its simplicity on the sleeve, with each of its inspiring genres never being explored too profoundly, and that is both its bane and boon. I found that for short, independent sessions the simplicity of its mechanics meant I could jump in and out without much thought, but chaining multiple runs quickly led to repeated dialogues, events and actions, and, considering that I unexpectedly found the quests and dialogue to be one of the highlights of the game, this meant that the incentive to play it again lowered with each new playthrough.
For those who enjoy the combat sequences and trying out different classes and weapons, the large amount of classes and companions to unlock will give you reason to return.
More information.

I just realized i expected something different from Overfall, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom