50 Oh. My. God. Moments @ Edge Online

Some of my Oh. My. God. moments:

- The last replicant death scene of Blade Runner. yes, it was reminiscent of the movie's "tears in rain" death scene, but it was still extremely touching.

- Whole Half-Life 2 was one big O.M.G. moment for me. I've never played a game which executed the narrative so successful and made use of abstract themes as the main experience instead of gameplay. Highlights of the game was: When you received the crowbar and an electronic song was played. The journey into the citadel. The scene in Dr. Breen's office in the citadel, when I realised that the narrative was quite Hollywood-like, but relatively to the rest of the games industry, something of that standard was actually a revolution/great.
Going to Ravenholm was great too. Well not the Ravenholm level but the part where you walk alone from the attacked rebel base to Ravenholm.
Walking out into the ruined City 17 from the underground and seeing/hearing Kleiner on the hijacked Propaganda screens of the old totalitarian system in Episode 1.

- The giant standing in the room where you defeat Dagoth Ur in Morrowind, and the first scene in the game where you stand in the prisoner ship with no visual and you can hear your inmate talking to you. Vivec was an O.M.G. for me too.

- The Witcher provided several of those moments for me. Shani's Party, Beauty and the Beast (Carmen and Vincent love story), mingling with the elite of Vizima and most importantly the Noonwraith quest line.

- Call of Cthulhu: DCotE. Going from the police car up to the first house and descending into the caves beneath the house. Arriving at Innsmouth with the bus and learning that something is very wrong. This complete feel of isolation in unknown/dangerous territory.

- The Oceanside Hotel in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines was extremely great. And the taxi scenes in the last part of the game was likewise.

- Standing on top of the RetoMoto highrise in Tokyo whilst Jesper Kyd's track "Kane's Family Portrait" is being played in Kane and Lynch: Dead Men and afterwards rappelling down from it.

- The Hong Kong street levels in Deus Ex -> The ambience.

- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was a very strong atmospheric experience for me. So was Blade Runner btw.

I'm sure there's more to be said.

Last edited:
- Deus Ex, when you found out where you really were after you were captured...

- The Fallout 1 intro (best intro ever, IMHO)

- Deus Ex, when you found out where you really were after you were captured...

Good one.

- The Fallout 1 intro (best intro ever, IMHO)

Another good one.

Speaking of, I just watched the Planescape: Torment teaser (from the Baldur's Gate CD's.) That has got to be *the* most awesome teaser video ever.

Unforgetable:

- the first Thargoid fight in Elite

- the Death of Dupre in Ultima VII

- my first perfect race through the complete Test Drive 2

- my first complete run through Wizardry 6,7,8 one party - without changing classes
and getting special dialog at the end of Wizardry 8

- winning against Deidranna in JA 2

- clearing the ship 4 times in a row in Paradroid

- getting through Uridium 1 & 2

- finishing Daggerfall after some month of playing time

- getting trough the crypt in Bards Tale 2

- fleeing from monsters in Dungeon Master 1 (poisoned and mortally wounded)

- beating Civilization 1 for the first time (playing 40 hours in a row)

- conquer a big city in Pirates! with only 10 swashbucklers

- the Titan's Stronghold in MM7

- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. endgame fight

Last edited:
I had one in Hero's Quest I, thought not sure it would qualify for most people. My best friend was over while our parents went out to dinner so we started playing it.

Being adventurous, we decided to venture outside of town at night. Low and behold, this thing that looked like a jaguar centaur (jaguar head and claws, man torso, horse-sized jaguar body) comes running out of the bush at us. We both yelled "HOLY SHIT!" ..... just as our parents walked in the door.

Grounded for a week for that one.

Speaking of, I just watched the Planescape: Torment teaser (from the Baldur's Gate CD's.) That has got to be *the* most awesome teaser video ever.

Was that the one with only cutscenes that weren't in the final game?

I can only find this one on Youtube.

My list is short.

-all the neat shit that happened in Hero's Quest (Quest for Glory) and 2. Especially when the genie actually let you make a wish in trial by fire.

-all the shit you could do in the Leisure Suite games

-I really liked the Umpani training and all the extra shit in Wizardry 7

-Some of the scripted events in darklands were neat

-All the detail in RoA.

-it sounds sad, but the reflective floors in Wiz8 always impress me when I play for some reason. I think Wiz8 has really sharp graphics. I also think wow has the best graphics out of all the mmorpgs. I think my mind registerd graphics and graphic quality different than everyone else. I remember picking up the boxes to Wolfenstein 3d and doom at a game store when I was a kid and thinking they looked stupid. Same with Ultima Underworld and all those types of games.

-mostly for the last 8 years I've been saying, "Wow!!! i can't believe I paid $50 for this piece of shit1!!!!! emticon, emoticon, emoticon. Or "Everyone that reviewed this game is retarded and owes me my money for their lies!!!!!11 emticon!!!

Was that the one with only cutscenes that weren't in the final game?

I can only find this one on Youtube.

I'll have to watch it again to be certain, but I don't think it was *quite* the same -- I think it was all rendered cutscenes, without the gameplay video in the one on YouTube. And better for it IMO.

Does anyone else get the impression that "shit" is one of roqua's favorite words?

I was thinking that he just hat scatological tendencies ... but that isn't news ;)

Oh man, the titan stronghold in MM7 (mentioned by HiddenX).
I don't think I ever actually killed my way through that place - I had to rely on invisibility, trying to squeeze past the Titans guarding the various hallways. The place was so huge there were several places in the stronghold where you had a "green light" (indicating you could rest, re-cast invisibility, etc), and finding those places were the key to constantly keeping up invisibility. The other option, actually fighting the titans, wasn't really an option unless you had an extremely powerful party. Can't say I've had many experiences where I've actually held my breath as I tried to do something in a game, but trying to sneak past titans caused such moments.

Yep, to most of the above few posts!! :)

Spy vs Spy (Atari 800XL) - (split screen) oh my god, faster, faster, oh my god, almost done, almost , oh my god, just one more trap, oh my god!! YEEESSS!!

OMG! I just remembered playing this on Commodore 64, what, how long ago? Must be well over 20 years.

Descent - OMG where is up, where is down, where am I?

This one came to me as well, for the same reasons. Also, OMG! Look at the dynamic lighting as I fire this rocket!! :D

One final one... Dune 2! OMG, not ANOTHER sand worm eating my units!!

Most twists in games are kinda lame and unsurprising. Usually someone you thought were a friend turn on you and becomes your enemy. I tried to think about games that actually managed to fool me. The following post is pretty much spoilerfree.

The twist in Knights of the Old Republic is the best I have ever seen in a computer game and one up there with the best movietwists (like in The Usual Suspects). That experience was unforgetable. When my cohabit played the game I had to stay strong to not reveal the secret and I got a noteable reaction from her when she did. She was just as floored as I was.

The ending of System Shock 2 gave me the same reaction. It left me with a gutwrenching feeling.

A similar strong twist was finding out the truth in Silent Hill 2. That left me hollow and depressed for a few days... but in a good way.

Talking about Silent Hill. The cat and the fridge.

Many have mentioned Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion, but the most memorable twist for me was when you did quests for the Fighters Guild and found out not only the truth about Blackwood Company, but also what they had made you do. I was REALLY pissed at that one. Another real surprise was the quest that sounded like your traditional "please clean out the rats in my cellar"... that one had a strong and hillarious twist to it. I also liked the Orc who wanted you to to rescue his captured daughter...

Who ever havn't played Portal should, regardless of their opinion on FPS games and Half-Life. The cake is a lie.

The twist in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (completing the 2nd "secret" main quest) was also great. Many people missed out of that one because they ran up to the reactor to early.

When you finally get to hear Xardas master plan in Gothic 3. To be honest, I hadn't expected that, but it came out as a massive protest against the real world.

The ending of Monkey Island II was really weird... and it never really got explained either.

There are a couple of great surprises in Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. One of them was the real ending but it was so extremely difficult to get that I confess that it was better to just see it on youtube. However, I remember a place towards the end in which you open a wooden door and get a great surprise. I wont spoil that one, but if you played it you probably know what door I mean.

The most brutal scare I ever encountered in a horror game was taking a photo of a guy in a locker in Condemned: Criminal Origins. That's outright evil. Even if you know what's coming it gets you... Talking about condemned, I also hate the warping mannequins... That was really creepy.

I agree that the nuclear blast in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was an extra ordinary and unforgetable event.

Being infested in Cold Fear. EWWWww! EWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Bicycle stage in No One Lives Forever 2. That was hillarious.

The creepiest part of Doom 3 for me was the bits in which you hear children.

There are two places I remember in Prey, what happens to the bar in the beginning of the game. That cutscene was absolutely great. But even better was the schoolbus. That was just awesome.

The dream stage in Max Payne was just great, but also the bit after you get injected with drugs and start to feel you were in a comic or computergame.

Then there's that place in F.E.A.R., involving a ladder, in which you aren't just surprised once but twice. Another ladder was involved in F.E.A.R. Extraction Point which was also as effective.

Ending of Final Fantasy VIII. It's really one of the most rewarding endings I have seen in a game.

The last stage of Halo. I really disliked that game in general, I found it very repetitive and annoying, but the last stage was simply genious. Or so I thought at the time.

The Metal Gear series in general is simply filled with "wow" events, but one of the most memorable for me was with Lady Luck in Metal Gear Solid 2. That was one of many cutscenes that brought me into tears.

Going Strogg in Quake 4. That was really painful to watch. I could barely keep my eyes on the screen.

The basement or the 2nd dream scene in Scratches.

When I finally reached the ending of Syberia 2 I was brought to tears... the whole game was a beautiful tale and that was a great climax and a great ending of the whole thing.

Chasing rats in The Bard's Tale. I hadn't expected that. :D

When things turned really bad in Unreal 2. :( I was angry at the developers for that one.

Meeting "the king" in Zak Mc Kracken. Hillarious.

Back
Top Bottom