The Witcher Netflix series begins production.

This still looks like utter crap to me.

Really? You are hard man to please :)

I started off thinking it will be crap but I was really impressed by the trailers :) Obviously the show can still be crap!

Well, I'm mostly about the characters in these things.

Based on what I've seen, the most important characters feel all wrong to me.

I have nothing against Cavill - but he's absolutely not Geralt in those trailers. He looks slightly like him, but his performance lacks the subdued intensity that I have in mind for that character. He doesn't seem to have sarcasm down, either.

Overall, it just smacks of generic fantasy to me. Utter crap is probably too harsh. More like utterly mediocre.

I could be wrong, though :)

Well, if you are wrong, it will only be briefly. No worries! :D

I was kind of hoping they would start this series with him just arriving in a hamlet in the rain for a small job at the local temple and keeping the whole thing low key at least at first, do some character development etc and avoid doing a big epic good vs evil thing. Can't say I have high hopes but I'll certainly watch it.

Based on what I've seen, the most important characters feel all wrong to me.

I have nothing against Cavill - but he's absolutely not Geralt in those trailers. He looks slightly like him, but his performance lacks the subdued intensity that I have in mind for that character. He doesn't seem to have sarcasm down, either.

I thought i'd jump in here for my monthly reminder to everyone that this series is based on the books and not the games (and the games themselves took quite a few liberties over the books). Which most may know already, but meh. Since Andrzej Sapkowski is on the creative consulting team, it's very possible that any variations from his works he's said "hmm I like that change, and gives it something fresh".

As long as they don't do something absolutely tragic like in the Ender's Game movie where every single thing that made the book unique was thrown away.

Anything based on The Witcher is going to say "based on the book series" because that's the origin of the characters.

I highly doubt they're being specific to the point where they're claiming it's based on the books but not the games. They weren't *that* different.

I highly doubt they're being specific to the point where they're claiming it's based on the books but not the games. They weren't *that* different.

Excellent! So some variations should be fine! What are we complaining about?

But there's a glitch in the Matrix. We've had this discussion already.

I watched both trailers. The good things are Cavill has potential, he is just finding his footing playing the character I think, eventually he will get better and better in the role. I do think "Yennefer" is a great casting pick, because she looks like what I would have imagined the character to look like in real life. A dark beauty with an edge and even an "alluring danger" to her.

So the casting of that actress as the character is brilliant. (keep in mind I never read the books so don't have any possible pre conceived notions from the books in my head)

Here is a big problem - as others noted in previous comments - Cavill looks too young. They should have "aged" Cavill and made him older with grey hair. I don't find a young Geralt that appealing, I want an older, grizzled Witcher instead,

All they had to do was copy this trailer and put it to live action and it would have been a blockbuster trailer. The script and camera shots and scenario are all already there, brilliantly done, and this would have blown those two other trailers away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0i88t0Kacs

A shame they didn't just copy this trailer to a real life one!

Anyway, I think the tv show/netflix series it has potential, and I do believe that some are being overly negative about it overall.

Excellent! So some variations should be fine! What are we complaining about?

But there's a glitch in the Matrix. We've had this discussion already.

Sure, "some" variations are fine, but if they are perceived as major variations to people, I can completely understand why they might have a problem with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0i88t0Kacs

A shame they didn't just copy this trailer to a real life one!

It's too bad they couldn't do an entire series with CGI like that. I'm guessing it would probably cost more than the live-action show.

It's too bad they couldn't do an entire series with CGI like that. I'm guessing it would probably cost more than the live-action show.

it would im sure.. just rendering that video probably took months.

Sure, "some" variations are fine, but if they are perceived as major variations to people, I can completely understand why they might have a problem with them.

Translation: Watchers have no idea how to properly spend their anger points, but at least it makes them feel busy.

Quit being so angry, Caddy.

:lol:

DefiantRingedEasternglasslizard-size_restricted.gif

Rather: I want this show to be good, but I secretly suspect it probably won’t be, so people who don’t need to believe in Santa, like me, just suck.

In other news, Netflix already renewed it for another season, so at least they have some confidence in its success.

I need to believe in Santa. Reading other people's negative comments makes me less enthousiastic about the show unfortunately.

Here is a big problem - as others noted in previous comments - Cavill looks too young. They should have "aged" Cavill and made him older with grey hair. I don't find a young Geralt that appealing, I want an older, grizzled Witcher instead,
I like to see a 'younger'Geralt and see how he developed into the character we know from the game (a well-networked, grumpy hero / outcast). To see meet him old friends for the first time, why he got to meet Ciri, etc. Of course, I'm not really up to date with the life-span of a Witcher. Maybe a young witcher is still more than 70 years old with grey hair.

Back
Top Bottom