F:NV Fallout New Vegas thoughts

Fallout: New Vegas
I'm not sure about the perk-every-two-levels thing, either. I suppose it helps balance the game, but it makes character progression slower and a bit "worse". Combine it with the greater emphasis on your auxiliary skills (Survival, Speech, Repair, possibly Barter), and it means your character can really suffer at the start.

This is how it should be, and how FO3 should have been imo. Getting a perk every single level in FO3 was ridiculous.

You were granted a perk only once every three levels in FO 1&2

This is how it should be, and how FO3 should have been imo. Getting a perk every single level in FO3 was ridiculous.

I'd have it every three levels if I could have my way. I'd also get rid of the Intense Training perk that allows you to raise your SPECIAL stats. I'd like to see how it was in F2 where at about level 10 (I can't remember exactly) you could raise each of your stats by one, so there's a perk to raise Strength that you can take once, ect.

I'm not sure about the perk-every-two-levels thing, either. I suppose it helps balance the game, but it makes character progression slower and a bit "worse". Combine it with the greater emphasis on your auxiliary skills (Survival, Speech, Repair, possibly Barter), and it means your character can really suffer at the start.

Personally I like slow character progression. If I played on the PC the first mod I would look for is a level slow mod. I think things should be hard at the start.

Personally I like slow character progression. If I played on the PC the first mod I would look for is a level slow mod. I think things should be hard at the start.
But that is a good thing, amirite?
Of course, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I just think the beginning is a bit annoying because of all the skill-based speech checks and the long, drawn-out process.

Indeed. It's really helped balance the game and it's still a bit challenging on whatever difficulty I'm on (Easy, I think), especially with those annoying Cazador things.

I think my next character will be Speech/Survival and something else, possibly Repair. They're so important in NV, and it'd be a challenge to base a character around them.

My canon game (first) was survival, speech and melee. he was a charming outdoorsman who had a strong dislike of technology. based very loosely on the character Mike Havel from "Dies the Fire" by S. M. Stirling.

Anyhow … he did very well. I totally skipped guns and the like (I had Boone after all) and went heavy on melee. He finished the game using the Knock-Knock fire ax. I never used the implants but did take a few perks for SPECIAL.

I found speech super useful and fun. Survival was not as useful but still enjoyed it and the cooking came in handy for one quest in New Vegas at a certain hotel. Also I tried to avoid med packs and the like so some of the survival perks and skills were useful. I loved the melee combat though. I suck at FPS and with guns I kept hitting allies.

I also had a fairly high sneak … but found it a little less useful with companions. Repair was super useful … almost to much so as I almost felt it was mandatory as a skill which I feel no skill in a game should ever be "required". Still I got buy without getting it over 45.

I see what you mean about repair, WGD. From making ammo to passing speech checks, it's quite a prevalent skill, and if you get it to 90 for Junk Monkey (I think that's the name) then it becomes even better.

Edit: I'm stopping all my skills at 90. If I need to go above I just need to use a skill magazine or similar, plus having 100 is so rarely needed I didn't see the point.

I see what you mean about repair, WGD. From making ammo to passing speech checks, it's quite a prevalent skill, and if you get it to 90 for Junk Monkey (I think that's the name) then it becomes even better.

Edit: I'm stopping all my skills at 90. If I need to go above I just need to use a skill magazine or similar, plus having 100 is so rarely needed I didn't see the point.

Having 100 speech does give you a special option that can make a big difference. Course only if you want to role play that way. I had 100 speech and didn't make that choice for RP reasons. Course, as you said, the max skill options don't come up to much. Anyhow don't want to spoil anything :)

EDIT: On a side note besides the bonus to the skill, charisma can affect (or is that effect) companions. It also can increase general friendliness of the NPC's. I noticed this as my first character had 9 to start and I maxed him to 10. My second character, who is still young, has a 5 and people react a little differently. Although I think those things are not very common.

Yeah, I think Charisma counts towards your "Nerve" (Something new, I think) which affects your companions and their abilities.

Loading screen tips FTW, eh? ;)

My poor poor deformed character with a Charisma of 1.

Doomed to be shunned all his life ....

I'm sort of stuck on New Vegas. I've gotten to the Wild Cards section of the game (i.e. I'm in the Strip) and I just don't know what to do. I don't think any decision has taxed me this much! I better just investigate stuff and see what happens.

. . . I'm stopping all my skills at 90. If I need to go above I just need to use a skill magazine or similar, plus having 100 is so rarely needed I didn't see the point.

I stopped at 80. The occasional skill book or skill magazine would up me when I needed the boost. I was in the 80s with a whole bunch of skills.

I agree I lean more to the FO 1/2 system then the more modern. Just goes to show that, IMO, CRPG's are catering more to twitch gamers and instant gratification gamers. As unless you can max out you char the first 10 hrs of playing you see posting how the game 'sux'. It's sad really these kids are so loud and so the developers cater to that.

I have started it but wonder if three points can be customized. I already disabled the quests marker through the game ini I hope the game is informative enough to allow it.

But there's three other points I would like customize:
  • I have to constantly scroll the dialogs to see all choices, I wonder if there's a way to show much more lines?
  • The local map is almost pointless, the global map is more informative, but it's strange anyway can the local map be improved?
  • I noticed that the turn based fight need be constantly reactivated. I can understand the game isn't designed to have it auto activated, but is there a way to have it activated until end of fight state once you activate it?

Nobody can help? Are those forums and this site that award FNV the GOTY for both editors choice and users choice? :biggrin:

I haven't find much, but one mod helping a little by increasing the area of dialogs choices and showing more choices, but it's still weird with an amazing space lost because of a huge space between each line. Also it brings a problem in the graphical options that I can't see all now. Anyway it seems worthy, it's MTUI:
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34902

I still have the questions from previous post, if someone can help.

And now I have another one. I'm almost sure that in previous session one week ago I could hold or not a weapon/fist but I can't find anymore how.

Sorry, but I just played the plain vanilla version, no fixes at all other than the pataches. Still, other than the constant crashes, I had no graphic problems except when I first started the game. I had the screen resolution set incorrectly for my monitor and some of the text was not visible on the screen. After I reset the screen resolution everything appeared on the screen fine. FOV was two games ago for me but I don't remember the Pip boy maps being much of a help at all, but for that game it didn't bother me.

Sorry, but I just played the plain vanilla version, no fixes at all other than the pataches. Still, other than the constant crashes, I had no graphic problems except when I first started the game. I had the screen resolution set incorrectly for my monitor and some of the text was not visible on the screen. After I reset the screen resolution everything appeared on the screen fine. FOV was two games ago for me but I don't remember the Pip boy maps being much of a help at all, but for that game it didn't bother me.

Thanks to try help, I'll try check the resolution, perhaps it's the problem and not the mod, but really it's not a problem that bother me as I had already setup those graphical options.

I don't use the compass pointer so the maps and locations on maps are totally required, I'll hate the game if I have to use such compass cursor so better try something else for me.

Still wish a way to answer the questions I posted above, also I wonder it's not possible to wear on/off weapons or have the character in attack mode on/off? When in pipboy I unselected all weapons I end with fists on. I'm almost sure I could have weapon off but so weird I can't find how now.

also I wonder it's not possible to wear on/off weapons or have the character in attack mode on/off?
Iirc, you have to hold "R" (or whatever key you have assigned for reload) for a second or so.

Iirc, you have to hold "R" (or whatever key you have assigned for reload) for a second or so.
Rhaa thanks I'll try, so in fact I succeed achieve it in past sessions only by luck!

I still have the other questions waiting but at least with this and the fairly good ui mod i could come back play it. I think I could get used to use again constantly the turn based mode, it is made just for shooting so the point is probably to get used to not use it at all, or use it when you want shoot.

Regarding seeing more choices on the screen, I'll pimp DarnUI [bethsoft.com] because it is the best UI conversion I've used that makes the game more PC like. He is a little slow to finish but does quality work.

I wrote the Font Converter (for Oblivion) that he uses to get smaller fonts which allow more data on a screen and give more PC-like experience so I'm probably a little biased. Its only user interface changes so generally safe for most games. FNV does have some annoying things regarding the INI file this time around that you need to be careful about when using but its in the post.

Back
Top Bottom