Graywalkers - Early Impressions

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
SplatterCatGaming checked out the Early Access version of Graywalkers Purgatory:

Graywalkers Purgatory - Post Apocalyptic Hellish Strategy CRPG

Graywalkers Purgatory Gameplay with Splattercat! Let's Play Graywalkers Purgatory and render our impressions on a strategy RPG that pits players against a world of hellish demons!
More information.

Any written impressions? No? Then I'll simply play for half an hour myself instead...

The review was really funny but he didn't get too far to show more of the game unfortunately. Hopefully he does a more in depth one in the near future.

Like the look of it a lot

DIdn't care much for the reviewer so my comment on the review is it is not very good; and hardly a review. The game - no clue haven't played the EA.

Same ... got my Steam key this week but haven’t done anything with it yet, tend to not be big on playing Early Access games anyway - so hoped for some actual impressions :(

Ditto here, have the key but I don't touch EA's so for now I'm just waiting to see what develops. Based on the updates that I've read over the past few years, I do have extremely high hopes for this product.

I'm going to finish my current game (Rebel Galaxy) then I intend to try Graywalkers out. I'm not interested in beta testing so I'll only fire it up for an hour or so to get some impressions.

Why are you calling this a review? It's a preview/first impressions video.

I tried it for a few minutes...definitely needs some UI tweaks....I wasn't really sure what I was doing, granted I was rushing through to try and get to the gameplay too see it.

I also tried out maybe 30 minutes of the intro story of the nun character. Clunky interface and very unpolished. Might become fun some day and maybe after playing it properly for a few hours and learning the systems.

Unfortunately for me, there's no way to turn off music at the moment (except turning off the speakers/headphones), and I really dislike the music. Just not my style and also too few tracks, which means I dislike the style and it is repetitive.

I might try it again after they implement options to turn off the music, but until then I'll play other games.

We apologize with the lack of controls for the music. We've gotten a lot of feedback regarding this and have included it in the top list of things to fix in the game. We will let you know once that feature is up and running.

I havne't played the game yet because of lack of key (i was not on the kickstarter and won't play for a while as i am quite busy) but i wanted to make a small suggestion based on others feedback.
--

IMHO the number one thing you need to address is the interface. A good game with a bad interface will always turn off a large number of people. A bad game with a good interface (not hindered by the controls) might be played by many people because they are not constantly fighting the interface.
-
Clunky interfaces make it difficult for people to be willing to dive into a game and learn all the intricate features/behavior; i.e, find the good parts.

We apologize with the lack of controls for the music. We've gotten a lot of feedback regarding this and have included it in the top list of things to fix in the game. We will let you know once that feature is up and running.

What I saw with the interface is it had to bring up a window to do most things and you had to accept that choice....so if you were firing at a enemy it would pop up a window and you would accept it then it would fire....some things don't need to be accepted like that....if you know you want to fire at an enemy it should allow you one click.

If I recall correctly it wasn't just if you were firing but just about anything including reloading.

We totally agree. Right now all we want to do is improve the game based on people's feedback. The more people buy the game and play it and we get feedback, then the better for us to know what people really like (or at least the majority of them).

What I saw with the interface is it had to bring up a window to do most things and you had to accept that choice....so if you were firing at a enemy it would pop up a window and you would accept it then it would fire....some things don't need to be accepted like that....if you know you want to fire at an enemy it should allow you one click.

If I recall correctly it wasn't just if you were firing but just about anything including reloading.
Well, this is one of the areas we are studying. Based on our testing before with the old demos, people ended up having mistakes here since "fire" is not just fire. You actually have options what kind of "fire" attack you will make such as burst fire, single fire, aimed shot, etc. So no verification means whatever ability was last used or accidentally pressed would be the attack made without a chance to verify the attack if it just one click. We realize though that adding that approval layer does make it less efficient. For reload its the same thing, you have choices of what kind of ammo to load so again, without verification, you might end up using and reloading the last silver bullet you have against a demon instead of saving it for a werewolf.

Well, this is one of the areas we are studying. Based on our testing before with the old demos, people ended up having mistakes here since "fire" is not just fire. You actually have options what kind of "fire" attack you will make such as burst fire, single fire, aimed shot, etc. So no verification means whatever ability was last used or accidentally pressed would be the attack made without a chance to verify the attack if it just one click. We realize though that adding that approval layer does make it less efficient. For reload its the same thing, you have choices of what kind of ammo to load so again, without verification, you might end up using and reloading the last silver bullet you have against a demon instead of saving it for a werewolf.

Fair enough. But I think it's worth to consider whether players should be able to switch off the confirmation window in the game options.

Which reminds me to ask: is there an option to switch off or speed up animations in the game options? In some turn based games this is a fairly important thing. Especially if there are many, rather long-ish fights it may be nice to speed up the moves a bit.

Fair enough. But I think it's worth to consider whether players should be able to switch off the confirmation window in the game options.

Which reminds me to ask: is there an option to switch off or speed up animations in the game options? In some turn based games this is a fairly important thing. Especially if there are many, rather long-ish fights it may be nice to speed up the moves a bit.
Yes, that is a good idea to toggle those off. Will definitely go into our to be discussed box. Thank you for this.

We will have the option to speed up animations. This is actually already partially developed and just need to be properly implemented. This will be included when we add in the Options buttons. There will also be other toggles there as well for other features.

Back
Top Bottom