What games are you playing now?

M&M X is another game I want to play, but I've intentionally avoided purchasing it so far. I don't need more temptation than I already have.

I wasn't impressed by MMX at first sight, but I gave it another chance - and now I've bought it.

It's pretty great for that old-school dungeon crawl :)

I also installed Sleeping Dogs recently, but I have yet to start it.

Hehe, another good GTA type game. AC4 is better for that free-roaming feeling, though. But it's got a nice story and a pretty cool combat system.

I'm finding Blackguards to be better than I expected though, and it's scratching a certain itch I've had lately for strategic combat. I'm also quite enjoying the TDE setting and characters. I might have to finally get around to doing a full playthrough of Drakensang 1&2 in the near future…

I bought Early Access - but I've yet to really play it. It seemed a bit too combat heavy for my tastes - but I do appreciate combat when it's highly tactical.

I'll get around to it eventually :)

I also did early access for Blackguards, and have had some fun with it ... but holding off buying MMX because of the overwhelming backlog (which I am adding to on GoG and also PSN as we speak :) ).

M&M X is another game I want to play, but I've intentionally avoided purchasing it so far. I don't need more temptation than I already have.
… holding off buying MMX because of the overwhelming backlog…

Buy now! It's not a stellar game, the start is very close to annoying but it does grow better. The huge problem is that you'll have to adapt to excessive use of mana potions, but well, every dev has his vision on what's fun and this dev IMO got it wrong.
Btw still playing it, just finished Act 2 unintentionally (didn't know which quest will trigger it) before I've explored everything possible to explore in Act 2, but no matter as the map is still there open to explore more.

I also installed Sleeping Dogs recently, but I have yet to start it.
Never heard of it. What's it about anyway?

I'm finding Blackguards to be better than I expected though, and it's scratching a certain itch I've had lately for strategic combat. I'm also quite enjoying the TDE setting and characters. I might have to finally get around to doing a full playthrough of Drakensang 1&2 in the near future…
O_O >:O
Uninstall EVERYTHING.
Install Drakensang 1&2. Play not now. But yesterday!

playing the Banner Saga right now, liking it so far (on chapter 5 currently).
Also playing Beyond Two Worlds in my PS3, I would have said it's very good if I hadn't played The Last of Us a few weeks ago. Compared to that, BTW is now only 'good'

…and, in terms of overall storytelling, I actually preferred Icewind Dale (1) to both of them.
Would you mind elaborating a bit?

I think I may still have some endurance for IE gameplay and I'd rather pick the game up now that I'm comfortable with it rather than later but I had the impression that the IWD games were really light on the story side and had little depth in areas outside of combat.

My problem too, started playing Disciples III Reincarnation which I bought back in December on a sale and it's really good, everything I was hoping Renaissance was going to be when I bought that a few years back.

Now I made the mistake of buying Blackguards and loving it also, with M&M X staring me in the face, gorging on Turn Based games now. Glad Divinity Original Sin is a little ways off.

Would you mind elaborating a bit?

I think I may still have some endurance for IE gameplay and I'd rather pick the game up now that I'm comfortable with it rather than later but I had the impression that the IWD games were really light on the story side and had little depth in areas outside of combat.

IWD was linear, but still had quite a good story. The individual areas had so much thought put into them and really tied everything together. I'd place it above the two BG games, even with the linearity. You could tell it was made by people who had actually run a D&D game and was used to making up stories to justify their dungeons.

IWD was linear, but still had quite a good story. The individual areas had so much thought put into them and really tied everything together. I'd place it above the two BG games, even with the linearity. You could tell it was made by people who had actually run a D&D game and was used to making up stories to justify their dungeons.

I disagree here. I couldn't continue playing IWD as it was just fight after fight after fight. No towns, very few NPCs, etc. Got bored after a while.

I disagree here. I couldn't continue playing IWD as it was just fight after fight after fight. No towns, very few NPCs, etc. Got bored after a while.

It's a dungeon crawl. You've got your base town with plenty of NPC quest givers, merchants, and set dressing. It's a pretty classic setup for a dungeon crawling RPG campaign. Being combat-heavy doesn't make its story any less relevant, but obviously some people won't care for that style.

Your not alone as I felt the same way. ;)

As Menigal said they are dungeon crawls with story added to move the game along. There is nothing wrong with the games, but I rather play Baldur's Gate instead.^^

IWD was not bad, but I honestly don't remember the story. I remember the music being good, though :)

I disagree as well. BG (both 1 & 2) writing was way better than IWD. It is dungeon crawl as you put it, and there really wasn't much writing/story to it. And most of all, the silence of the party really did kill this game for me. Luckily for me, I'm currently playing this one with Kulyok's IWD NPC mod... it's really fantastic! I'm loving it at the moment. I actually will be finishing it this time around. Currently at chapter 4, about to do HoW + lure master expansion. It really gives BG2 like feel (still more combat than dialogue, but you'd be surprise how much difference it actually makes!) Btw, party members you get from mods are somewhat OP...

I really liked IWD, but I have to disagree with it being better than BG 1 or 2. Its a fantastic dungeon crawler, but not much more than that. It had a fairly generic story, just enough to get you moving along. I do agree that a lot of thought was put into the areas.

All in all, its a great game, but better than BG2? Not by a long shot IMHO.

Meh; I truly don't understand the rapturous love for BG2. Take out David Warner and the incessant NPC chattering, and you're left with a mediocre game. Icewind Dale was far more atmosphere for me (the first one, not the sequel that got hamfisted amongst Josh Sawyer, deadlines, and 3E min-max curves).

I really liked IWD, but I have to disagree with it being better than BG 1 or 2. Its a fantastic dungeon crawler, but not much more than that. It had a fairly generic story, just enough to get you moving along. I do agree that a lot of thought was put into the areas.

All in all, its a great game, but better than BG2? Not by a long shot IMHO.

I love all of the Infinity Engine games, but I agree that the BG's were the best. I do think they're all pretty close in terms of overall quality though, and that a lot of it probably has to do with which setting one prefers. At least it does for me.

After playing half of Avadon 2 I got back to 1, which I never got the chance to finish:) I'm also playing Blackguards and MMX: Legacy in between PS3 gaming sessions of Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Ni No Kuni :)

PS: Got to make room for Castlevania, Eschalon 1, 2 and 3 (soon), Dogs of War (sort of Aarklash online) and SpellForce.

I prefer to create my own party from scratch, rather than pick among companions, so I like the gameplay of IWD and IWD 2 better. But the story and NPCs made the BGs good too. It's a tossup for me.

Meh; I truly don't understand the rapturous love for BG2. Take out David Warner and the incessant NPC chattering, and you're left with a mediocre game. Icewind Dale was far more atmosphere for me (the first one, not the sequel that got hamfisted amongst Josh Sawyer, deadlines, and 3E min-max curves).

But it's Irenicus & NPCs that makes BG2 so awesome. If you take out combat from IWD you are left with nothing as well, you know :p

Back
Top Bottom