Mass Effect - Reworked HUD @ GameSpot

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Following up on news of the small Mass Effect PC delay, GameSpot spoke to BioWare's Diarmid Clarke who confirmed that reworking the HUD is the cause of the new release date and discussed the changes:
According to Clarke, the new HUD allows for much easier access to biotic powers and weapons by doing away with the radial HUD used in the 360 version. "All of the wheel stuff is now on the screen, you're not flicking between menus," he explained. "It's all just point and click now."
In particular, the new display scheme does away with the 360's inventory-management system, which drew widespread complaints for its lack of ease of use. Now, the guns will all be on the HUD screens ordered in rank of power, with customizable attachments and ammo types selectable via a drag-and-drop interface. Other keys will allow access to menu screens directly via a single key touch.
The new version of Mass Effect also takes advantage of hotkeys to let players more quickly use biotic powers. It will also have hotkeys for individual commands, which will let players issue orders to single non-player characters for improved tactical-squad combat. "It lets you be strategic and still do run-and-gun play," promised Clarke.
They also have some new screens demonstrating the changes.
More information.

This is a much better then the Xbox 360 version and is much easier to use. I couldn't stand any part of the HUD and the dialog system and would have rather had a list where you just go up and down through the options like in most console games.

I don't get how they could have thought that the way they did the HUD and dialog menu was good when it is just annoying to use and I am glad that I just was trying it at Sakuracon rather then buying it.

Other than that I thought the game was alright and I may buy it when it comes to the PC.

Personally I thought that the inventory handling wasn't as horrifying as some people made it out to be. It wasn't optimal, for sure-- maybe playing old Final Fantasy games on SNES has hardened me. :p

The rest of the interface (dialogue and powers wheel) were just fine on Xbox 360 if you ask me. Sounds like the PC version will be an improvement overall, though!

The dialog system was GREAT and you will notice they haven't changed that. The access to powers and such suffered from a lack of things (buttons, whatever) to attach them to on the average controller.

Inventory was a pain but only if you kept a bazillion of everything you found. There was really no reason to keep most of the equipment you found and certainly not the old, outdated stuff from early on in the game. Sorting a bit more would have been better and not resetting some scrolling locations after popping back to them. Using a drag and drop system would be better yet of course.

I'm glad they're reworking it. I liked the mix of pausing and firing on the 360 version, but I was worried that the PC version would end up with too much pausing. While many games translate well to turn-based action, I don't think Mass Effect is one of 'em. :)

Back
Top Bottom