KoA: Reckoning - How Will Re-Reckoning Improve the Gameplay?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Click4Gameplay shares his thoughts on how Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning will improve the gameplay.

Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning is coming in August. We know that this version of the game will have improved visuals and the refined gameplay. But what does "refined gameplay" actually means?
More information.

I usually like this guys videos but i feel like this one is a bit of clickbait. It’s not how re-reckoning will improve gameplay it’s his wishlist for how they should improve gameplay.

I do agree with him about difficulty and level locking of areas. When i played the game i ruined it by running off and exploring Skyrim style. I effectively locked several areas at the lowest level and never ran into any challenge and grew bored with the game rather quickly. If they fix that I would buy re-reckoning. Assuming they actually fix it and don’t just hike up every enemies hit points and lower damage dealt across the board. Which results in combat that is still easy but requires you to hack away at enemies with enormous heath bars.

Judging by other THQ Nordic published remasters, this is just going to be a minor visual upgrade, nothing more.

How Will Re-Reckoning Improve the Gameplay?

Easy. By eliminating fps Stu-Stutter.

I heard they put quite a lot of effort into saints row 3 remaster. Nothing mechanical sure, but I'd be hard pressed to fault them if they did the same here.

I found that the game got top easy after you played for awhile, balance wasn't there.

I heard they put quite a lot of effort into saints row 3 remaster. Nothing mechanical sure, but I'd be hard pressed to fault them if they did the same here.
Saints Row 3 was just an Engine port. Nothing was added or changed except graphics.

That's Deep Silver though, not THQ Nordic

That's Deep Silver though, not THQ Nordic
Are you sure? Anyway it feels like THQ Nordic is behind every new re-master lately. It's their manifesto to profit off others work, and it's very profitable for them.

Can't find a list of all the Ip's and failed developers they have gobbled up.
" and Volition have announced Saints Row: The Third Remastered, an upcoming re-release of the popular open-world title."

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news...lasts-onto-consoles-and-pc-next-month-4021937

???
Correct Volition is owned by the parent corporation of THQ Nordic.
Volition was acquired by THQ in August 2000, and when THQ filed for bankruptcy and had its assets sold off, Volition changed hands to Deep Silver in January 2013. Volition is best known for its Red Faction and Saints Row series of games.
Side fact THQ Nordic also owns Deep Silver now.

Link - https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/14/1...-deep-silver-saints-row-homefront-dead-island

Last edited:
Not being much of an Action RPG fan, I never played the original. I might check this out. Nevermind the gameplay, how's the story?

Not being much of an Action RPG fan, I never played the original. I might check this out. Nevermind the gameplay, how's the story?

I liked it, it had some interesting stuff to it....funny thing is, all I can remember is I liked it and not much details hehehe

The gameplay got in the way of the story for me.

You can get as invested in the lore as you want, there is plenty of it. Since it was created as an MMO first sometimes it felt a bit broken and clunky. "Why is this group upset at this group? We live a stones throw away from this whole other culture but we've never made contact? The richest nation in history can't repair their front gates or stop 3 bandits from raiding them?"

I cannot imagine being desperate enough to give this one another try. I'll at least read reviews and such when it's released, and go from there, who knows.

I cannot imagine being desperate enough to give this one another try. I'll at least read reviews and such when it's released, and go from there, who knows.

I've tried so many times to get back into it but always stop around the same place...

The gameplay got in the way of the story for me.

You can get as invested in the lore as you want, there is plenty of it. Since it was created as an MMO first sometimes it felt a bit broken and clunky. "Why is this group upset at this group? We live a stones throw away from this whole other culture but we've never made contact? The richest nation in history can't repair their front gates or stop 3 bandits from raiding them?"

Yeah I had issues with the story as well for similar reasons. Id say that the game has a lot of interesting backstory and lore, but not much story. You'll start a quest and there might be a really interesting lore reason for why your killing 5 wolves or collecting a McGuffin from the spider lair. But the game play doesn't support the lore and it doesn't play any differently from any other generic fetch/kill quest.

The other issue I had was that the main story starts interesting, but then it just takes a back seat to wandering the world and doing side quests.

I did think the game had a lot of promise though and I could see it being a much better game with improvements. I'm not sure that this is going to go far enough though.

It felt exactly like an MMO with a bunch of fantasy background story added to it. It really felt like they hired a main writer/writing department and kept them separate from the design of the game. The lore and story was not well integrated into the world or the characters. BUT: there was a LOT of lore and story.

I don't remember any details about the game other than those observations. It also felt like they coached the writers to make the story "different" from other MMOs and stuff at the time. Now, that's an admirable thing to aim for. But the result felt like loads of High-Fantasy gobbledegook that all had its own "spin."

Maybe I'm not getting my point across well. But it was like the story/writing/characters/lore was Different because they just wanted it to be Different.

Forgettable game in every way.

I agree with him. Biggest problem of KoA was its lack of difficulty. I actually installed cheat engine to the system in order to make the game more challenging back in the day. Another problem was the lack of variety in monster types. In games that huge this can be a big trouble. I hope these will be addressed with this new version but I don't hold my breath.

Back
Top Bottom