What games are you playing now? - Page 683 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

March 30th, 2021, 20:14
After defeating Amygdala and starting to explore Yahar'ghul, I decided to end my run through Bloodborne. It's been fantastic, but I realized I started to use guides too much to streamline my playthrough. I would try my best against an area, and if it got too hard or I'd die too much, I'd watch a guide for some hints. And I believe it made the last few dozen hours a lot easier. And I kind of regret that. This game really is made to explore, and not just use a guide that reveals where stuff is hidden. You just lose too much of the experience.

So, I'm gonna hang it up for what I expect is to be a few years at least. I want to pick it back up after I've forgotten a lot of it. I also don't have the time it would require of me to dedicate to it, to play it properly. And I felt I was also kind of rushing the experience with the streamlining of it all.

But I do have a feeling in the back of my mind, that I won't forget many of the locations and experiences. I hope I'll be able to. So, I'm gonna do a media blackout for it.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

March 30th, 2021, 20:41
In the mean time we'll have Eden Ring, and it will be possible to go into that knowing practically nothing if one avoids watching/reading about it. I'm looking forward to that very much.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

March 30th, 2021, 21:21
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
In the mean time we'll have Eden Ring, and it will be possible to go into that knowing practically nothing if one avoids watching/reading about it. I'm looking forward to that very much.
Indeed. Starting with Bloodborne I've become a huge fan of From Software. Sekiro is also in a similar league. Even harder than the Souls/Borne games, but cool in its own right. I'm definetely excited for Elden Ring. I hope they really nail the mythology and lore.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

March 31st, 2021, 12:53
Reached the orc campaign DLC in Sanctus Reach. Yaaay! Best about the orcs is they are warp-touched and - at least in the first story-fight - I couldn't buy troops. Instead any control points taken gives you new troops! WAAAAGGH!!!
--
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

March 31st, 2021, 14:50
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Yesterday I did the first three battle in Fell Seal, and so far it's a lot of joy. Yes, this game is much like FF:T and Ogre Battles, and that's a good thing. I can see that I'll likely pass quite a bit of time figuring out which classes suit me the best, I'll likely knock out a few more battles today.
I am absolutely sure a pure magic party would be best for you
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

March 31st, 2021, 18:51
Perish that thought! I did whip two characters through the wizard class simply to unlock the Fell Blade one, now I'm rocking one archer and five melee types! I'm really liking this game, I hope in the future to see some expansions and other forms of additional content, I know there's one already yet I'm greedy and hoping for more.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)

March 31st, 2021, 19:15
Slowly getting back into Divinity: OS.

I'm also messing around with the original Mafia. It's not as good as I remember. The controls are somewhat clunky compared to modern shooters, and the driving sections in particular are quite frustrating to me. Not sure how long I'll keep with it.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)

April 3rd, 2021, 10:00
I just started playing Disco Elysium for the first time. The start is very promising.

I love the internal dialogue and the plentiful skill checks. It seems like the experience could be quite different with different characters as well.

It seems like an adventure/rpg hybrid, which is fine to me. BTW why are adventure games called adventure games? Seems they are rarely very adventurous compared to many other genres.

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

April 3rd, 2021, 10:39
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Slowly getting back into Divinity: OS.

I'm also messing around with the original Mafia. It's not as good as I remember. The controls are somewhat clunky compared to modern shooters, and the driving sections in particular are quite frustrating to me. Not sure how long I'll keep with it.
I had a good time with it, but it was Mafia II (the original, not the Definitive Edition). I preferred L.A. Noire though.

Redglyph

Keeper of the Watch

April 3rd, 2021, 10:53
Originally Posted by SveNitoR View Post
It seems like an adventure/rpg hybrid, which is fine to me. BTW why are adventure games called adventure games? Seems they are rarely very adventurous compared to many other genres.
Many of the genre names are too generic, and apply to so many things that it's useless to use them. And you end up needing to explain what exactly makes something, something. I kind of have the same problem even with stuff like rpgs, which you'd think should be quite obvious what is and what isn't. But technically, almost every game is a role-playing game. You role-play as something in the game, regardless of the mechanics and implementation of it. When you're playing a plane simulator, you're roleplaying (or could roleplay) as a pilot. That's enough offtopic from me.

As for playing stuff, haven't touched a game in a week, I think. I'm taking a break.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

+1:

April 3rd, 2021, 10:57
Anyone have any beginner's tips for Disco Elysium?

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

April 3rd, 2021, 15:35
I have also just started playing, but I feell ike it's a game you just need to roll with - even bad decisions can open up paths.
So just go with the flow and resist the urge to quicksave/load every conversation.

As a starting character I would suggest at least 2 points in each Endurance and Volition otherwise you can be one-shot killed in the starting scene

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)

April 3rd, 2021, 15:38
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I have also just started playing, but I feell ike it's a game you just need to roll with - even bad decisions can open up paths.

So just go with the flow and resist the urge to quicksave/load every conversation.

As a starting character I would suggest at least 2 points in each Endurance and Volition otherwise you can be one-shot killed in the starting scene
I had no idea I could die in the opening scene. I'm already past it and am supposed to go look at the body. No time to game today (today is family day ), but tomorrow I hope to get a little bit further.

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

April 3rd, 2021, 17:13
I'm still romping around Fell Seal, beefing up my squad and exploring some of the classes that are opening up for me, now. This game is hard and solid, right up my alley, and a pure joy to play every time I start it up!! Really, if a person ever enjoyed games like Ogre Battles or Final Fantasy: Tactics, you should give this one a go. I sponsored it via kick starter some time ago, and as my way is to wait until games are fully done before venturing in, so I'm only now getting around to playing this. It is a masterpiece, although I doubt I'm even close to the conclusion.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)

April 3rd, 2021, 18:17
Later I play lol

gaston

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

April 3rd, 2021, 19:49
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
I had a good time with it, but it was Mafia II (the original, not the Definitive Edition). I preferred L.A. Noire though.
I haven't tried Mafia II yet, but most fans of the series seem to claim Mafia > Mafia II > Mafia III.

I should propbably check out L.A. Noire sometime. I think I dismissed it because it's from Rockstar Games who I'm not a fan of.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

April 3rd, 2021, 19:54
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I should propbably check out L.A. Noire sometime. I think I dismissed it because it's from Rockstar Games who I'm not a fan of.
I think you're safe there. I think I remember that Rockstar only published it. Just checked and indeed, Team Bondi developed it. I only played it for a bit, and found it pretty nice. I found it quite different to the GTA games.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

April 3rd, 2021, 19:59
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I think you're safe there. I think I remember that Rockstar only published it. Just checked and indeed, Team Bondi developed it.
Not sure if that's any better. It seems that's the only game they made before going out of business.

Maybe I'll pick it up the next time it's on sale.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

April 3rd, 2021, 20:44
Just play it the way you like. I strongly recommend against looking for or taking any advice on the 'best" way to handle scenes or anything like that.

I will say that I've heard some people run out of money. I didn't, and I don't think it's that difficult to make sure you have enough, but something to keep in mind.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

April 4th, 2021, 04:12
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Just play it the way you like. I strongly recommend against looking for or taking any advice on the 'best" way to handle scenes or anything like that.

I will say that I've heard some people run out of money. I didn't, and I don't think it's that difficult to make sure you have enough, but something to keep in mind.
Thanks! I doubt I'll run out of money. Well, after I get some money of course. I usually horde it in games, so I'll probably do so in this one as well.

SveNitoR

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?