Gloomhaven - Gameplay Overview Video

This is the only game I still play regularly with other actual humans -- am I going to buy the videogame version and never have another face-to-face interaction ever again?

Yes.

This is the only game I still play regularly (…)

Oh, how I envy you for this :) Not because of human interaction (which I do like, btw) but for playing Gloomhaven board game

Regarding Early Acess pricing:

Gloomhaven will be arriving on July 17 (…) at the cost of 24.99€ or $24.99.
Gloomhaven’s Early Access will be cheaper than its full launch, as we offer more features and the campaign for the Full Release. However, the price of the game during Early Access won’t increase due to the additional content added during its development. Any players who purchase Gloomhaven during Early Access will obtain full access to the game and its contents for free at Full Release

Looks interesting. Anyone heard of the developer, Flaming Fowl Studios, before?

Looks like they've helped make a Hearthstone clone called Fable Fortune that has now gone free-to-play since its release in Feb '18. Hopefully, that experience will help them balance Gloomhaven properly.

A little disappointed that they only let you start with a fixed party of four, rather than offering the six starting class options in the tabletop version.

I can understand holding the Mind Thief back as a reward, but I'll be hella peeved if I go to the effort of retiring a character only to learn that what I've unlocked is just the Tinkerer(er).

I play the board game once per week with my wife.

By the looks of this, it's exactly as the board game, the only difference being that you use the solo variant, aka play as the four characters. Am I missing something? Would this be worthwhile for those who are already playing the board game?

Ar first, I would not say so. I see Gloomhaven's charm in its social experience. Soloing it is pretty meh in my opinion.

I sure hope they add co-op to this game, in which case I'll grab a copy for the wife and myself.
They've stated they want to add it (based on community feedback), so I am hopeful.

This is the only game I still play regularly with other actual humans -- am I going to buy the videogame version and never have another face-to-face interaction ever again?

Yes.

Wizards released Magic Arena and I still play Magic IRL. I'm sure you'll still want to play it with "humans" lol

I have never seen this game before. Is it good then? Do you think that this will be a good translation to the video game?

The game is great -- the core mechanic of husbanding an ever-dwindling hand of cards is more interesting by far than most other attempts to recreate D&D in board game form, and really captures the creeping dread of being three floors down in a haunted dungeon with one torch and one healing potion left.

The collaborative aspect of tabletop play is fun, but I'm looking forward to managing a four-person party by myself in the online version. The long-term game I'm in is mostly a two-man group, and the few four-player sessions I've been part of have been a little bit frustrating -- because there's a puzzle-like aspect to the movement and players really need to coordinate with each other or you end up getting in each other's way and wasting scarce resources (what I am saying is STOP RUNNING OUT IN FRONT OF THE TANK, SEAN)

The game is great -- the core mechanic of husbanding an ever-dwindling hand of cards is more interesting by far than most other attempts to recreate D&D in board game form, and really captures the creeping dread of being three floors down in a haunted dungeon with one torch and one healing potion left.

I see… Looks interesting! This mechanic remembered me of the board game Dragon Quest. I loved to play this game in my childhood.

I own this and other dungeon crawl board games...this plays more like a puzzle then really an adventure in the purest sense. Part of what makes this work is you are not supposed to know what the other players are going to do, in this case you will know what each ally will do...so not sure how well that part will translate. I couldn't get involved in the table top as much as I would like, I hope that the digital version will work better for me.

you are not supposed to know what the other players are going to do

It's fine to say "I'll get the big guy, you mop up the little guys" -- you're just not allowed to say "My initiative's 25 and I'm using my 3-power attack."

But yes, choosing your whole party's initiative values will make the fights a lot easier. Which I think is okay -- especially as you have the flexibility to crank up the difficulty setting at will if it turns into a cakewalk.

[For those who haven't played, every adventure has a difficulty level from 0-7, which determines the stats and abilities of monsters as well as gold and XP rewards. The default adventure level is half the average character level rounded up, but you can choose whatever setting you think you can handle. Since the maximum character level is nine, which gives you a default adventure level of five, levels six and seven exist only as an optional challenge.]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom