Fallout 76 - E3 Trailer

TomRon. TomRon never changes. No love for level scaling, right? :p

Nope. But I believe it's present in New Vegas too and I liked that one anyway. And I've actually wishlisted FO4 and *might* buy it on sale someday (making my previous post a blatant lie) , it's the damn online elements on most new games that really scare me away.

So the pet peeves would be: Other people in my games > Level scaling > Other nitpicking.

I'm not sure it qualifies as nostalgia when you can fire up the game you played earlier and still have the same amount of fun replaying it, if not more. If so, perhaps nostalgia is often confused with superior taste, and a penchant for calling out crap games when spotted.

I'm not sure it qualifies as nostalgia when you can fire up the game you played earlier and still have the same amount of fun replaying it, if not more. If so, perhaps nostalgia is often confused with superior taste, and a penchant for calling out crap games when spotted.
"Nostalgia" is the insult thrown around by graphics whores to denigrate games that no longer meet their exacting visual requirements.

Is this the long awaited Fallout Online then? FOOL '76 it is then.

Yeah, and we're the FOOLs.

Todd could've avoided all of this hate from Fallout fans if they simply called it Fallout Online from the beginning. Instead, he got fans excited for a prequel with possible co-op only to have our hopes dashed with this MMO with always-on PvP and no human NPCs.

It won't even make the MMO crowd happy… At 4 times the size of FO4, this game world promises to be a veritable wasteland with only a few dozen players.
As you explore this lonely world, you can bet any stranger who isn't openly hostile is only looking to finish a quest… and as soon as you've helped him take down a beast, he'll stab you in the back and steal your loot. No thanks… plenty of other games to play.

"Nostalgia" is the insult thrown around by graphics whores to denigrate games that no longer meet their exacting visual requirements.

I think you're smarter than that, but if you want to make moronic statements, I guess that's your prerogative. There's a lot more to nostalgia than just visuals.

True, but I think the statement has truth for a lot of people. Maybe not you. Anyway, that was really just intended to be a light-hearted response in the same vein as Carnifex's "superior taste" sarcasm. No need to take it seriously.

Here is the second part of the Bethesda Noclip documentary.

Anyone else thinking that this could really open things up for Wasteland 3 to make a splash.
They should release the same day or week of Fallout 76 just to rub it in.:biggrin:

Though in reality that would be a bad decision for sales.

Anyone else thinking that this could really open things up for Wasteland 3 to make a splash.

And that Pillars of Eternity would make isometric crpgs crazy popular? Sorry man, you're crazy optimistic. :)

I think he was talking about Wasteland 3 filling the gap of a SP RPG in a postnuclear setting that in the past years had been filled with the Fallout games.

And that Pillars of Eternity would make isometric crpgs crazy popular? Sorry man, you're crazy optimistic. :)

I'm going on faith :lol:

A little anyways...

I do think Wasteland 3 will get a good initial reception but they need positive word of mouth to truly become popular and for that the game needs to be good.

I hope it is good and with the gap left by Fallout its possible more will check it out. Having said that the isometric perspective will put off many first person Fallout fans from giving it a go so Wasteland 3 needs to pull them in with some new coolness factor (like the vehicle combat). If they want very good sales that is.

InXile are trying to leverage D:OS audience so the gameplay needs to be good and it needs to be a real RPG with N+1 design and the co-op has to work well. I am not sure of InXiles coders ability to execute on a complicated design. I unfortunately expect bugs and some shoddyness as they don't seem able to deliver the level of polish required so far. However, I have seen Brian tweet many times over the last year about the importance of iteration so it is likely a focus.

As for Obsidians Pillars 1...

Pillars 1 damaged the reputation of the RTWP traditional isometric RPG, in my opinion, because it was a poster boy for Kickstarter. People see the appeal as nothing but nostalgia now because of the numbing grind of Pillars 1 and its baffling systems design. They did not want to try Pillars 2 and risk more disappointment (especially at that high price point.)

I am grateful that Larian released D:OS and saved the isometric RPG in general from irrelevancy as far as modern gaming goes because we need the younger ones to be keen if we want to see more such RPGs in future. My hope is on Pathfinder: Kingmaker for a return to infinity engine style RPGs.

My hope is on Pathfinder: Kingmaker for a return to infinity engine style RPGs.
I seriously think that Pathfinder will come closest to being the spiritual successor of BG everybody talks about since 20 years.

In my perfect world, Wasteland three will pop out, people en mass will see this as the way these types of games should be, and completely ignore the new Fallout whenever it rears its ugly head for sales.

This game is dead to me.

Sadly, me too. And I would gladly have bought this for full price day one if it was a 4x bigger-than-previous-Fallouts single player RPG set in Virginia.

At this point I just hope they don't drop the ball with TES6. They better not fuck that up.

Having played POE1 and POE2 completely through twice now and been playing it extensively I find it is far closer to BG then I first though in some ways. I definitely have gotten the same vibe from it in regards to companions, being able to make your own party, deep lore, fun story, and more. It is a different IP of course but while at first it seemed so different .. now that I have mastered a lot of it I find it merging well with my past memories of BG (and I have the BGEE as well so not just past).

Personally I feel POE is closer to BG then Kingmaker will ever be because the overall feel of the graphics and set-up feels closer to BG. Kingmaker is more cartoonish in its art style that really removes that BG sense for me.

That doesn't mean I am not a fan of Kingmaker. I am in the beta and been playing it - and really enjoy it and eagerly await its final release.

But I feel right at home now playing POE and feel a strong connection to past memories of BG on a broader level.

As for FO76. I honestly hope people enjoy it and have fun. It simply isn't my style of game. I have always strongly disliked PVP in any format. Even though they said they will later release updates so people can create their own private servers with friends ... that won't help that the world will be barren and empty to me since it will lack proper NPC's and interactions with a more living world.

I have never enjoyed just logging in with friends to run around killing things with little purpose in mind besides maybe releasing some stress ... which I can do in a more developed world.

People on the Watch calling a game that's not even released yet trash because they have different taste? I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS HAPPEN!

tumblr_li5vnpzC841qeirb0_thumb3.gif

Because trying to front a single player games as fully playable without having to do the online shenanigans has worked so well in the past. I thought hard and thoroughly before grabbing my pitchfork, but this drek has, so far, proven quite worthy of being stabbed. I'll listen to and read what folks have to say on release, but I'd be astounded if my view altered.

Back
Top Bottom