RPGWatch - 2009 Game of the Year Voting

Yep, it makes sense. It's a good game, but it's no BG. ;)

It has nothing to do with that. It's just the power of numbers. Of course n-million DA customers have more to complain than 500k Drakensang customers. That's one of the reasons why the best selling games usually also win GOTY polls. Those who have spent money for the game want reassurement. Their vote for this game helps them confirm that their money was spent on the best product.

Interesting thought. I have never thought it this way.

Thanks !

It has nothing to do with that. It's just the power of numbers. Of course n-million DA customers have more to complain than 500k Drakensang customers.

Not completely. It also doesn't help that it was overhyped as a BG successor, but that's business as usual nowadays…

Not completely. It also doesn't help that it was overhyped as a BG successor, but that's business as usual nowadays…
Well for me, DAO is full of little flaws but quite better than BG1, BG2 and ToB. But it's right there's a lot of difference and it's just using an old trademark to make a reference to the old series.

I thought DA was dumbed down quite a bit in comprison to BG 1/2. There were less classes, weapons, party members, monsters, etc. About the only thing that was better was the graphics. I still like the game a lot, but I'll never look at it the same way I look at Baldur's Gate.

I thought DA was dumbed down quite a bit in comprison to BG 1/2. There were less classes, weapons, party members, monsters, etc. About the only thing that was better was the graphics. I still like the game a lot, but I'll never look at it the same way I look at Baldur's Gate.

To me 'dumbed down' has a specific and very negative connotation, and while I think BG2 is better than Dragon Age, I very much disagree with the assessment of it as 'dumbed down' ... if DA is dumbed down, I would hate to think what every other game since Bloodlines would be ...

To me 'dumbed down' has a specific and very negative connotation, and while I think BG2 is better than Dragon Age, I very much disagree with the assessment of it as 'dumbed down' … if DA is dumbed down, I would hate to think what every other game since Bloodlines would be …

There's different ways of being dumbed down, and DA was definitely so in certain aspects.

There's different ways of being dumbed down, and DA was definitely so in certain aspects.

So what was the last non-dumbed down game? Certainly not Risen, definitely not Witcher, or anything from Bioware, god knows nothing from Bethesda ... heck not even Troika ...

So what was the last non-dumbed down game? Certainly not Risen, definitely not Witcher, or anything from Bioware, god knows nothing from Bethesda … heck not even Troika …

I think I can see where this is going, so we'll just agree that we might have different views on that topic.

I think I can safely say that U6P is definitely NOT dumbed down!! :)

I think I can see where this is going, so we'll just agree that we might have different views on that topic.

You cast out Dumbed Down as though it was something factual and understood, but I don't think it is so I'm asking you to provide some actual context and quantifying terms ... or not.

You cast out Dumbed Down as though it was something factual and understood, but I don't think it is so I'm asking you to provide some actual context and quantifying terms … or not.

I can list examples all day, but this has already been done recently in another thread. Since you didn't seem to get my suggestion the first time, I'll say it again..we'll agree to disagree.

I can list examples all day, but this has already been done recently in another thread. Since you didn't seem to get my suggestion the first time, I'll say it again..we'll agree to disagree.

I was actually looking for a link because chances are we DON'T disagree much but are getting bogged down in semantics ... as is more often the case than actual disagreement ;)

Heh . . . my memory of that thread is that you said that DA was a step down from BG in a lot of ways, threw out a lot of areas which were different from BG to DA but never actually substantiated why they made for a superior game and then eventually claimed that you were only ever talking about things that were different not things that were better . . . :p

Anyway, still think (having now played DA all the way to the end) that it's massively superior. BG might have had way more options for min maxing & fiddling with statistics, and I do concede your point from the previous thread that stealth options for rogues / splitting the party to go robbing etc were genuinely handled better in BG, but as an overall experience DA wins absolutely hands down.

I think I can safely say that U6P is definitely NOT dumbed down!! :)

If U6P is not dumbed down, then U6 was not dumbed down.

So by quite unstrictly applying some form of the intermediate value theorem, we can assume /agree upon that sometime between the release of U6 and .. say Oblivion, games started being dumbed down.

Good enough for me. Probably not for the mathematicians among you.

You have a short memory. ;)

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, since:

Heh . . . my memory of that thread is that you said that DA was a step down from BG in a lot of ways, threw out a lot of areas which were different from BG to DA but never actually substantiated why they made for a superior game and then eventually claimed that you were only ever talking about things that were different not things that were better . . . :p.

.... yeah.

Back
Top Bottom