Jumping the Shark

even though i've only watched about 10 hours total of mash over the years it was firstmost a drama (of which there are very few these days) not a comedy or situation comedy, etc. dramas actually attempt to deal with real issues that face society even if they take place in fictional settings (star trek the next generation for example). and are you all aware that mash was a movie first which was known for its 'war is bad' themes.

i would state that 'jumping the shark' is a pretty useless term to use now as most shows whether they achieve it or not are trying to alot more than jump the shark on a regular basis. it is relevent then as trying to mark when that behaviour started and to what levels it has grown to.

and are you all aware that mash was a movie first which was known for its 'war is bad' themes.

actually it was a book first

http://www.amazon.com/Mash-Novel-Ab..._bbs_sr_1/102-6383721-0954534?ie=UTF8&s=books

from what I understand it autobiographical with the names changed. there is a "real" hawkeye pierce and trapper john.

---

When did Law & Order jump? After 16 years there's been a lot of cast changes. Margie Harmon, and Chris Noth. When the old guy left (the DA..everyone else is just an assistant) the show wasn't quite the same. That's around the same time CSI suddenly became popular and both shows started doing spinoffs.

I thought MNF went downhill after HC departed, but now it's down for the count!! Dr Z got it right giving them a 0 rating!! Actually, I think he was being generous!!

Red Dwarf after season 6, though the real dip came with the return of Kochanski.

I've actually got Red Dwarf thru Netflix. I have to agree about Kochanski. I dislike series that introduce characters so late in the series because it throws off the chemistry the actors had already built up.

For example Michael Dorn was terrible in DS9.

Red Dwarf was old anyway by this point. Chrichton was a great edition but with Lister pining away for so long for her it just threw things off. However, if they brought back Yvonne McGrouder instead that could have really made things interesting.

SCTV when John Candy left. Bazaar when John Byner actually managed to grab the curtain finally.

On the Moonlighting factor, its absolutely right: too many series depend on the sexual tension and the second its resolved there goes the series. The public tends to lose interest. Most famously Cheers managed to drag on the Sam and Diane thing for ages then repalced it with Kirsty Alley.

Every 40's movie seem to end with the characters being married even though it wasn't realistic for them to even be single at their ages. The only exception to this were the Thin Man films.

Corwin, I can't make out AWYS!

MNF? Monday Night Football? Did you even get that down there? Must be weird having two ABC's.

I thought MNF went downhill after HC departed

HC as in Howard Cosell? Reminds me ...

Lane Myer: Two brothers... One speaks no English, the other learned English from watch "The Wide World of Sports." So you tell me... Which is better, speaking no English at all, or speaking Howard Cosell?

race03.sm.jpg

Red Dwarf after season 6, though the real dip came with the return of Kochanski.

I used to love Red Dwarf! That's almost worth a boxed set buy, great show.

There was another weird BBC one I used to watch along that same era, called "The Young Ones". Wasnt nearly as good, but it was entertaining at times.

Back
Top Bottom