Tomb Raider

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Anybody else excited for the new upcoming Tomb Raider (release on March 5th)?

Honestly, what I have seen so far has me salivating… And no, not just over the main character, though she looks better than ever. :)
I'm not a big Tomb Raider fan (played nr 2 and 3), but it looks pretty slick and gritty.

I was never a big fan of Tomb Raider.

I did enjoy the very first game - mostly because of the novelty and the exploration.

Can't say I know much about this latest one - but I assume there's a lot of shooting and a lot of empty "RPG" elements with achievements and what not.

To get me excited, it would need to have great exploration with quiet moments.

Then again, I'm the kind of person who'd prefer games do away with shooting almost altogether and focus on the exploration and the story.

Something like Bioshock that wasn't about killing people - but rather about discovering the place. THAT would be more my thing.

Well, I don't really identify the Tom Raider games with shooting, but rather with puzzle-solving and adventure. At least, that is how I remember the 2nd and 3rd game, as I didn't play any of the others (due to not so glowing reviews). But granted, it did not have a whole lot of exploration.

The review I read says it has more of an open world thing going on, and you can choose whether you go the action or the stealth route. It sounds kind of like the recent Far Cry 3, but with less of an obvious shooter-element.

Well, I don't really identify the Tom Raider games with shooting, but rather with puzzle-solving and adventure. At least, that is how I remember the 2nd and 3rd game, as I didn't play any of the others (due to not so glowing reviews). But granted, it did not have a whole lot of exploration.

The review I read says it has more of an open world thing going on, and you can choose whether you go the action or the stealth route. It sounds kind of like the recent Far Cry 3, but with less of an obvious shooter-element.

Well, I seem to remember lots of shooting in all the Tomb Raiders I've played - and the adventure elements boil down to cutscenes and jump-puzzles every 2 seconds. Maybe I'm remembering wrong or being too harsh - but that's my recollection.

If it's open world like Far Cry - then I might be interested, though. I do so love open world free-roaming stuff.

The first game was... Well... Nice boobs.
The next I've played was the one where in Venice the tower clock behaves according to your position over or under the water, that was yuck and I've uninstalled that crap. Never finished it. It was so rediculous puzzle design even boobs couldn't keep me on it...

And I'm not excited about thew new game, in fact I don't care for it. Besides, I can now play boobs in many better games.

I actually preordered it. I didn't like the previous titles in the series but this one actually looks pretty good. It looks like a cross between farcry 3, assassins creed 3 and uncharted.

It doesn't seem like the tomb raider I remember which to me is good. If your thinking its more of the same you should check out some of the videos or reviews.

I've been mildly curious based on what I've heard about it, that it is nothing at all like the old tomb raider gamers, which is a good thing. It's not my type of game, so I doubt I'll get it, but it sounds a lot more promising then I would have originally thought.

Regarding the original tomb raider, there certainly was plenty of shooting, but overall it was a fairly small part of the game. You spent much more of your time doing obnoxious jumping puzzles and things like that.

I actually enjoyed the original TR quite a bit on the PS1. All of the locations were remote, and there was a decent sense of exploration. TR2 took a huge dive in quality, imo, with its city areas and combat against human foes.

I only played the demos for the later titles, but none of them gave me the same feel as the original game.

The first game was real fun. Finished it and loved it.

The second had some good parts here and there but it got old before the game ended. I can't remember if I finished it or not but I didn't bother looking into the game again for a long time.

Legend was pretty good. I finished it. (Played it after Anniversary, actually.)

Anniversary is just the original Tomb Raider done over again with a little bit added. It was very fun but I didn't quite get to the end - platform gaming isn't as fun as it used to be. (Also, I think they took out the save-anywhere feature from the original game. Stupid console traditions.)

Underworld was pretty good as far as I played it. I got distracted by some other game and haven't been back.

This next game coming up, though, looks terrible. PC Gamer did a preview that makes it sound as bad as the new Aliens game. The gameplay video didn't help, either, even though a different writer did that article.

I've invited Cate Archer to hide out at my place from any companies looking to wimp her character down. No response so far. ;)

P.S. The last three games are quite good under 3D Vision.

Never got into the early Tomb Raider games, then I played Legends and found it to be really good. So I naturally played both Anniversary and Underworld that wasn't as good as Legends but still ok. I will probably check the new game out but I would have preferred a sequel actually.

Tomb Raider fanboy since the beginning, I've played them all. For me, it's lots of fun thing coming from many directions - Puzzle solving, action, lots of exploration, gadgets, all kinda fun platforming and crawling along ledges at impossible heights, and as technology has gotten better she's increasingly fun to play with. They are all good, every TR game made has some merit to it. The new one is going back to the beginning, a prequel. How can I not be interested? How can YOU not be interested? How can ANYONE not be interested???

You must have bad taste

check out this video, lots of good gameplay footage w/ no spoilerage

I think I may get the Xbox 360 version, TR games just play a lot better on a console. That said, I think I'm starting to learn my lesson about buying games full price. I'm so tired of seeing them for pennies later on, that I may wait until it at least hits 20.oo or less.

Last edited:
I saw a Youtube commentator play about an hour of the new Tomb Raider, and I have to say, it looked pretty cool. More interesting than I thought it would be.

The first time I played one in the series was Tomb Raider: Anniversary. I was blown away and thought it was fantastic. The atmosphere, sound track, music, exploration, it was just amazing. So then I played the other recent games (at the time), Legend and Underworld. I thought both were good games, but not up to the level of Anniversary.

The newest one has me intrigued, just because I think the character is a very good one and iconic, and I'm interested to see how they reboot the franchise. It will be disappointing to me if they take away much of the exploration or puzzle solving and turn it into another generic shooter type game. I hope they do something much more in the spirit of the past games, while adding new elements.

GameTrailers gave the game a score in the 80's mentioning that Lara seems to be timid in the cutscenes then turns into a gruesome killing machine in the gameplay.

PC Gamer is still waiting for the review version to show up.

Ok, I lasted one whole day. Picked it up on the way home, havent had a chance to pop it in yet. There's no way I can get a good chunk of play in at this time of night, or I'll have to call in sick tomorrow! Wasnt sure whethr to go PS3 or 360 on this one, so I went PS3, hopefully it looks better. Usually one looks better than the other, I'm not privy to the nuances, as I'm a relative PS3 noob of about 3 months

Favorable IGN video review, cant wait to get in Lara's pants tomorrow

Ok, I lasted one whole day. Picked it up on the way home, havent had a chance to pop it in yet. There's no way I can get a good chunk of play in at this time of night, or I'll have to call in sick tomorrow! Wasnt sure whethr to go PS3 or 360 on this one, so I went PS3, hopefully it looks better. Usually one looks better than the other, I'm not privy to the nuances, as I'm a relative PS3 noob of about 3 months

Why not PC? Looks better and is cheaper. Unless you hate Steam.

Contemplating the X360 version, but still waiting for some more reviews. I've read you can breeze through the game in like 10 hours, which is kind of disappointing.

Do share your impressions when you get around to playing, xSamhainx.

Contemplating the X360 version, but still waiting for some more reviews. I've read you can breeze through the game in like 10 hours, which is kind of disappointing.

Do share your impressions when you get around to playing, xSamhainx.

I would recommend reading the RockPaperShotgun review which is very balanced and seem to have described the game very well praising the atmosphere and details, and yet the heavy reliance on scripting/scripted animations and events which take away control from the user.

Back
Top Bottom