Hero-U - Post-Funding Update #52

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Corey Cole shares some details on the organizational aspects of the development of the game and compares it with the way it was done at Sierra Online, in this update for Hero-U.

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption development is far more challenging than developing our games at Sierra. We didn't start with a multi-million-dollar development environment hand-tuned for making adventure games. We don't have any full-time team members because the budget doesn't allow for them. Communication is sometimes difficult because our team members are located all around the world – Australia, Virginia, Florida, Connecticut, Washington, and several locations in California. How could we all work together effectively?

Sometimes the answer is unfortunately, "We can't." In those cases, we've dropped team members or they've left on their own. And sometimes we have temporary issues because long-distance communication is hard. We decided to use a multi-tiered approach to keeping everyone on the team "on the same page".

The Sierra workshop provided part of the answer – If each team member is highly talented and motivated, we can trust them to do their parts of the job well and to infuse them with their own creativity and talent.

We are also taking advantage of several network technologies that didn't exist in the 1990's. We have two weekly team meetings via Google+ Video Chat. One is mostly for the artists, and one for programmers, but everyone is invited to both meetings. We use Google Drive and Dropbox to share documents, and Trello to track project tasks. Occasionally team members phone us with specific questions. For anything less urgent, we send email either to specific team members or to the entire team.
More information.

I am following this because my girlfriend has interest. But I swear that half his posts have a subtle undercurrent of "don't get your hopes up for a good end product"- a message that I pass along. Anyone else noticed this?

No I don't get that message really. What I do get is that he is not really giving us any progress updates on the game itself, but more on the process and the team. This might either be because he himself is more interested in those things or that there isn't much to show.

Back
Top Bottom