Skyrim - Script Extender Delayed

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@TechRaptor The script extender (SKSE) for Skyrim Special Edition has been delayed with no new release date mentioned.

Bad news for mod developers wanting to develop for The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Special Edition using the Skyrim Script Extender (or SKSE). According to the mod's developer, time constraints have delayed the release of this widely used plugin, which played an instrumental part in many of the mods available for the original version of Skyrim.

In a forum post on the Nexus Mods forums, SKSE creator Ian Patterson talks about why the SKSE has been indefinitely delayed:

I don't really have any good news. A large amount of the core code (papyrus support, scaleform support, etc) is ready, but the layout of most of the game data classes still needs to be verified as unchanged from the 32-bit version.

I haven't had any time to work on this for the past few months due to work, and I assume the same is true for Stephen. Making time estimates for full-time professional engineering projects is very hard, and this is far from that.

Again, sorry for getting people's hopes up.

Alas, that is the downside of voluntary mod development: it sometimes has the take the backseat when reality comes calling. Other people in the same thread appreciate that Patterson has posted an update, even if the news wasn't what people wanted to hear.
[...]
More information.

Don't even bother without SKSE

And SKSE for SSE is just one of few mods I need to consider switching.

Would it make any sense at all for Bethesda to directly supply SKSE functionality for the modding community?

SSE isn't aimed at PC users and consoles don't use SKSE. So why would Beth bother?

Of course they won't bother.

SKSE represents an attempt by the fans to fix the incredibly sub-standard Skyrim code.

So it's WAY beyond the capabilities of Bethesda's programmers, anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom