Kingsway - RPG management sim

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@PCGamesN Kingsway is a unique rpg offering from Adult Swim Games that mixes an operating system with traditional gameplay.

Mixing standard RPG mechanics with a ‘90s era operating system, Kingsway is a game that likens dungeon crawling to office work. With monster encounters appearing as pop-ups and new quests coming in the form of emails, this perplexing RPG is what Windows 98 would look like if it was designed by Gary Gygax.

All the elements of a '90s era PC GUI have been given an RPG twist in Kingsway, with your Internet browser acting as your world map, your backpack being hidden within your computer's file folders and fetch quests coming up as spam emails in your "Quests" program. You'll have to juggle your inventory and health between multiple windows, with players being able to set out their desktop in any way they like to help aid their daily questing.
[…]
More information.

Haha, they do get an A for originality. I don't know of I'll ever actually try it (probably not), but the video made me smile.

Last edited:
This is a bit different (more "meta") but reminds me of the old Castle of the Winds game on Win3.1 - one of the first RPGs to offer a Windows-based GUI. Now, how many of you young whipper-snappers are old enough to remember *that* one?? (wink!)

This is a bit different (more "meta") but reminds me of the old Castle of the Winds game on Win3.1 - one of the first RPGs to offer a Windows-based GUI. Now, how many of you young whipper-snappers are old enough to remember *that* one?? (wink!)

What do you mean... I still remember when it came out as a new windows game in a pc world void of crpg's and 8 bit machine graphics where better..

Remember it ? I played it ! I wasted so much time on Castle of the Winds

Kingsway looks neat - I'd give it a shot for sure !

Glad I'm not the only old fogey on here ;)

I remember it, not on Windows 3.1, though. It was still available on freeware sites in the early 2000s when I first got internet access.

Wow I'm a little taken aback by this concept. Awesome!

No joking, this looks really interesting to me. Going to follow it at least.

Looks like gimmickry rather than originality, IMO.

Sure it's gimmicky, but that's not mutually exclusive with originality.

True, but things don't need to be mutually exclusive to simply have one without the other.

I'm just not seeing much of interest in this one.

True, but things don't need to be mutually exclusive to simply have one without the other.

I'm just not seeing much of interest in this one.

Nah, like I wrote earlier I don't actually think I will ever play it either.

Well it's an adult swim game. They tend to focus on style and gimmicks first, but they are usually fun as well, although not always very deep.

Back
Top Bottom