Elex Abilities question

Some of the abilities definitely need to be tweaked, and I hope PB does so. A few of them are really under/over powered.

For example, the 'Good Eater' skill is ridiculously overpowered. It triples the amount of hit points you get from food. I'd be fine with maybe a 50% increase, but 300%?? Who needs healing potions when you have that?

On the other hand, the 'Experienced Hunter' skill was a huge disappointment for me, although I suspect it might be bugged in my game. I've read that you're supposed to get 5% more XP from kills, but I'm only getting 1 additional XP per kill. In other words, that Skex that was giving me 125 XP is now giving me 126. Wtf?

Also, the combat, survival, etc, perks in the personality tree seem redundant to me. They trivialize the skill checks in dialogue.

On the other hand, the 'Experienced Hunter' skill was a huge disappointment for me, although I suspect it might be bugged in my game. I've read that you're supposed to get 5% more XP from kills, but I'm only getting 1 additional XP per kill. In other words, that Skex that was giving me 125 XP is now giving me 126. Wtf?
Isn't the baseline of a Skex 120XP? 5% of 120 = 6, so 126 makes sense. Try to let a companion get the killing blow and you'll get the baseline XP. Pretty sure it's 120, and that the skill works as intended.

Isn't the baseline of a Skex 120XP? 5% of 120 = 6, so 126 makes sense. Try to let a companion get the killing blow and you'll get the baseline XP. Pretty sure it's 120, and that the skill works as intended.

I'll check again right now, but I'm pretty sure the base XP for a Skex is 125.

I'll check again right now, but I'm pretty sure the base XP for a Skex is 125.

Would surprise me quite a bit. I used that skill a lot, and it worked as intended. If there's a bug, it's Skex related.

No, you were correct. The baseline for a Skex is 120. Not sure why I was thinking 125.

I still think that skill is underpowered though considering the requirements. I think a 10% boost would have been more appropriate.

As it is now, you might get 1, or 2 at the most, extra levels out of it. That makes it a wasted skill point for most people.

No, you were correct. The baseline for a Skex is 120. Not sure why I was thinking 125.

I still think that skill is underpowered though considering the requirements. I think a 10% boost would have been more appropriate.

As it is now, you might get 1, or 2 at the most, extra levels out of it. That makes it a wasted skill point for most people.

Pretty much. Levels in general aren't overly relevant past level 25 anyway (required for certain ranks), as the easiest way of getting a considerable amount of attribute or skill points later on is via chemistry, though it will make you slightly colder.

Pretty much. Levels in general aren't overly relevant past level 25 anyway (required for certain ranks), as the easiest way of getting a considerable amount of attribute or skill points later on is via chemistry, though it will make you slightly colder.

From what I understand, the ELEX potions are OP because they have very few negatives to them. Even as a Berserker, you have no issue using them even though they completely disavow ELEX.

I think that probably needs changing. Also, is there any element of actually getting addicted ? I thought that's the whole point.

From what I understand, the ELEX potions are OP because they have very few negatives to them. Even as a Berserker, you have no issue using them even though they completely disavow ELEX.

I think that probably needs changing. Also, is there any element of actually getting addicted ? I thought that's the whole point.

It's not that the Elex potions are overpowered, it's that Elex is WAY too plentiful and easy to obtain. It should not be something that vendors restock on a regular basis.

I'm hoping PB changes that in a future patch or else I might look into using a mod.

It's not that the Elex potions are overpowered, it's that Elex is WAY too plentiful and easy to obtain. It should not be something that vendors restock on a regular basis.

I'm hoping PB changes that in a future patch or else I might look into using a mod.
I guess the question is what are the side effects of the potions?
According to the lore they should make you addicted...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I would hope PB has added decent consequences for using it, other than slightly getting colder. It does remind of me of Moon Sugar/Skooma from TES, though. For some reason developers seem hesitant to code that sort of challenge into the game, i.e. an addiction or permanent nasty side effect of using certain items. Shame because there is a lot of potential for interesting features there IMO.

I love ELEX but after playing more I do wish some features were more hardcore, or at least they would give you an option to make it harder if you want. Things like:

Stiffer penalty for using technology around Berserkers (other than just them shouting at you.)

More of a penalty for consuming ELEX.

Wish the game had the Gothic 3 system where if you stole enough items from a town the guards would start questioning you. You could use a skill to try and talk your way out of it. Would be neat if there were just more consequences for theft in ELEX all around.

And stuff like that. I know that stuff might be too challenging for a lot of gamers but if they gave us the option at the start of the game to turn that stuff on, it might be the best RPG I've ever played. It's already somewhat close to that the way it is.

Oh, and maybe go with the original idea of powering the jetpack with Elexit, heheheh. And finally, a Consequences Mode that removed saving and re-loading to choose different options. I.e. if you got caught stealing, or made a choice in dialogue, you had to live with it and couldn't reload if it didn't go how you wanted it to. Again, it would be an option you could turn on at the beginning of the game and it would have to be balanced towards that type of experience with a careful hand, but it could be cool, bros… :)

I guess the question is what are the side effects of the potions?
According to the lore they should make you addicted…

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Slight increase to cold value. That's it. If you want to be as human/emotional as possible, you shouldn't use them.

As I actually have almost all achievements, including the ones for maxing out skills (except Outlaw, as I haven't played the game as Outlaw yet), I have probably used several hundred of them. Yeah, that many. To get all the skills you need 85-90 of all attributes, and they cost 5 per point after 61. The game is definitely balanced around using potions, as getting a single attribute to 90 requires:
10-31 = 21 points
32-61 = 60 points
61-90 = 145 points
Total: 226 points

That's 23 levels to get a single attribute to 90.

Well, I'm spending too much time reading about this stuff, but here is another issue found in the comments section of Moriendor's reddit link.

Just Fyi haggler is way useful than it seems, because things round down when buying, so your ammo will cost 1 elexit instead of 2 and probably has similar effect with trophies you sell.
permalinkembedreport

Yeah, but it turns out that this has another effect - it makes all 1 cost items disappear from vendors. Notably including flamethrower fuel. You probably don't want to take the skill considering that effect.

For me I just don't use them. My character does not want to risk getting addicted again or going back to being an Alb. He also respects the wishes of the faction he is in ... although that is a little less important considering how strict the laws actually are depends on the Warlord and who is interpreting them.

It is one of the reasons I restarted (among others) as I realized my version of Jaz would want to limit how much Elex got into his system. Whether this will gimp me in the game I don't know. If it does I would consider it a poor game design since one shouldn't have to major in chemistry and Elex potions to make it through the game (anymore than one should have to steal). Not that I see many alternatives to points but will see how it goes.

Slight increase to cold value. That's it. If you want to be as human/emotional as possible, you shouldn't use them.

As I actually have almost all achievements, including the ones for maxing out skills (except Outlaw, as I haven't played the game as Outlaw yet), I have probably used several hundred of them. Yeah, that many. To get all the skills you need 85-90 of all attributes, and they cost 5 per point after 61. The game is definitely balanced around using potions, as getting a single attribute to 90 requires:
10-31 = 21 points
32-61 = 60 points
61-90 = 145 points
Total: 226 points

That's 23 levels to get a single attribute to 90.

Ouch. Well maybe I won't finish this game after all. I don't want to be forced into drinking potions just to make it through the game.

Relax, wolfie. I doubt that you have to chug potions to finish the game. At the very worst you can always turn the difficulty down…

But I don't see PB balancing the game in that way. Of course, using ELEX potions via the lore *does* make you much stronger, so it is cool that that is actually in the game. Not using them *should* gimp you a bit against the strongest enemies, but then that is the tradeoff of not taking the stuff. :)

Ouch. Well maybe I won't finish this game after all. I don't want to be forced into drinking potions just to make it through the game.

Oh, no, there's no need for that. Sorry if I wasn't being clear. It's just if you want the achievements for unlocking all skills.

There is genuinely no point in getting 90 of anything unless you're unlocking some specific skill.

Ah thats a relief. I don't mind slow leveling but was concerned maybe you had to guzzle potions. I am trying to stick to some RP I have for Jax in my head.

Well, I'm spending too much time reading about this stuff, but here is another issue found in the comments section of Moriendor's reddit link.

Wasn't this fixed from the recent patch? Patch notes for version 1.0.2846.0 under "Game":

Fix for haggler perk. You can buy every item now.

Unless that's not what they're referring to.

I'm pretty sure that's been fixed, but it's not like Haggler is a very useful skill anyways.

Haggler is an extremely useful late game skill. You save 10% at level 2 on anything you buy. I must have bought about 100k worth of items, if I didnt have haggler, I would have spent 50k on gear and another 50k on materials for elex potions and health and mana potions and another 10k on weapon upgrades. So I ended up saving 10k because of haggler. So if you have the attributes to get haggler, I recommend getting it, imo it is well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom