Gothic Had the devs always intended for mages to use runes from the other school?

locutus

Watcher
I haven't played in about 2 years so there's some stuff I forgot. I'm playing as an Old Camp warrior-mage and in chapter 2 I went to the New Camp to see Cronos before going to the Old Mine to do the minecrawler quest. He had Ice Block rune. I thought I wouldn't be able to use it since I'm a fire mage but wanted to make sure. I was surprised that I could use it. In chapter 4, after joining the New Camp, I got a quest log entry that said "I joined the Circle of Water. From now on, I'll be able to use runes from both schools". So I joined the water mages and can now use their runes too. Well, I could always use their runes. Maybe the devs were going to make it so a fire mage can't use water runes until chapter 4 but then one of them said "Hey, what if you start out in the New Camp? A water mage can never join the fire mages so that would mean they can never use the fire runes." Looks like they decided to let all mages use all runes but they forgot to fix the quest log. I haven't played as a new camper in several years but I assume you can use fire runes as soon as you join the water mages?

Last edited:
I suspect you're right. The magic learned in the swamp camp is often referred to as coming "from the Sleeper", and only the Gurus and Templars can use it. There's no indication that a Fire Magician, a follower of Innos, should be able to use it. However, I assume they realized that such limits would make any kind of magic user somewhat limited.

Back
Top Bottom