Low end laptop game ideas

bizorker

Sentinel
Original Sin 2 Donor
I've got a lot of travel coming in Jan and I will only have my laptop. Intel i7, 8 gb memory, and basic intel display adapter. Thought "The Watch" might have some recommendations for me to download before I head out on the road. Here are games I've played on this PC already as reference...

Darkest Dungeon
Age of Decadence
BG I and II, IWD, Planescape - Beamdog versions
All the Shadowrun games
Arcanum

Was thinking maybe one of the Avernum games? Haven't played any of those.

iOS suggestions also welcome.

Thanks!

What i7 would that be exactly? Is it some low power U version or overpowered HQ? :)

Nothing comes to mind. Perhaps MassEffect1, lowest setting.

The Avernum games are great - definitely recommended.

Are you only looking for more recent games? There are plenty of old school D&D games on GOG you could run, but if you want modern sensibilities they might try your patience.

Otherwise, possibly Lords of Xulima might work? That's one of my favourite games of recent years - isometric exploration and first person combat. I spent 75 hrs on one playthrough. Neverwinter Nights might be pushing your system, but if you can get it working there are 100s of hours of great content.

Also, check out Underrail - a great fallout type game from a few years back.

Recent games, Banner Saga might not tax a system too much. And as others have mentioned, probably half of great old games library wouldn't stress a current laptop these days.

Why is this in general rpg?

As a low end laptop it is clearly a low power part; but the real issue that will constrain you is the is the GPU. I presume you have integrated GPU but your not providing much details. Having said that the avernum games should run fine as they are not graphic intensive.

Well...I guess most of the 2d games will just run fine. Just avoid any games using a 3D engine, being released in the last 5-10 years or so.

Shadowrun games, Baldur’s gate games and XCOM all are on iOS but would probably also run on a low end laptop so I’d play them on that vs iPad personally.

I’d guess any 2d isometric view party based rpgs would run. GOG would be a great place for that. Gold box games, infinity engine games, maybe even newer ones like POE, atom or tyranny. Maybe also original sin games.

There’s really lots of choices. Maybe look up benchmarks for your IGP and that will give you an idea of what you can run.

Shadowrun games, Baldur’s gate games and XCOM all are on iOS but would probably also run on a low end laptop so I’d play them on that vs iPad personally.

I’d guess any 2d isometric view party based rpgs would run. GOG would be a great place for that. Gold box games, infinity engine games, maybe even newer ones like POE, atom or tyranny. Maybe also original sin games.

There’s really lots of choices. Maybe look up benchmarks for your IGP and that will give you an idea of what you can run.

Original Sin 2 might already be problematic. The first one might run fine though.

Original Sin 2 might already be problematic. The first one might run fine though.

True, hard to tell with out specific hardware listed.

I was able to play it on my surface pro. I5, intel uhd 620 graphics. Had to lower resolution to 1280x720 but it didn’t look terrible and worked in a pinch when I was on vacation.

Not a given - depends on the specific engine. Amazingly them mobile processors have faster gpu than intel igp.

Next year intel processors will see a significant improvement in the igp; but not sure how they will compare to high end mobile processors.

Ya mobile processors have much better GPUs (The Switch is basically an Android phone, running Skyrim SE).

I'm going to assume anything that will run well on an Intel 4xxx series will be good. Here's a few to try:

- Gothic 1/2 (maybe 3? haven't tried)
- Eschalon Book 1/2/3
- Ultima 7
- Torchlight 1/2
- Pillars of Eternity
- Diablo 2
- FTL
- Darkest Dungeon
- Portal 1/2 (if you're looking for something different)
- Stardew Valley
- Civilization V
- Undertale
- West of Loathing
- Vampire the Masquerade
- Morrowind/Oblivion
- Diablo 3 / Fallout 3/NV Skyrim(depending on settings)
- Warcraft 3
- Fallout 1/2/3
- KOTOR/KOTOR2

For iOS:

- Legend of Grimrock
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- XCOM
- The Quest (HD)
- Infinity Blade 1/2/3
- Minecraft

Kenshi maybe? Just set it to low everything, it only uses one CPU core.

Chrono trigger

Not a given - depends on the specific engine. Amazingly them mobile processors have faster gpu than intel igp.

Next year intel processors will see a significant improvement in the igp; but not sure how they will compare to high end mobile processors.

That’s why i said probably and not guaranteed to work.

Besides you don’t need a high end mobile processor to run xcom or shadowrun, they were released more than 5 years ago on mobile and i was playing baldurs gate 20 years ago on a system much slower than a modern day low end laptop.

Anyway as i said no way to be certain without his PC specs.

You're comparing bg 2d engine to xcom 3d engine ? Anyway a few people tried it with hd3000; indicated it was pretty slow but sort of playable. Officially intel graphics were not supported with xcom.

That’s why i said probably and not guaranteed to work.

Besides you don’t need a high end mobile processor to run xcom or shadowrun, they were released more than 5 years ago on mobile and i was playing baldurs gate 20 years ago on a system much slower than a modern day low end laptop.

Anyway as i said no way to be certain without his PC specs.

You're comparing bg 2d engine to xcom 3d engine ? Anyway a few people tried it with hd3000; indicated it was pretty slow but sort of playable. Officially intel graphics were not supported with xcom.

People are playing xcom and even xcom 2 on surface pro on utube. Slowly but playing it none the less.

Anyway I’m not comparing anything but i am wasting my time on this sillyness and filling this thread with OT crap. So you can finish yourself I’m off to play POE.:)

Avernum was fun, it's a bit like the indie version of an open map IWD. I also liked Avadon, though not as much as Avernum, so from that series I'd recommend only 2 and 3, because the tinker class was fun to play and the corruption was an interesting concept. Have yet to finish Geneforge 1 (due to lack of time), but it definitely has the most interesting setting.

Underrail would be another recommendation. It has a fun crafting system and I had a blast playing a scientist in that one.

Avernum was fun, it's a bit like the indie version of an open map IWD. I also liked Avadon, though not as much as Avernum, so from that series I'd recommend only 2 and 3, because the tinker class was fun to play and the corruption was an interesting concept. Have yet to finish Geneforge 1 (due to lack of time), but it definitely has the most interesting setting.

Underrail would be another recommendation. It has a fun crafting system and I had a blast playing a scientist in that one.

Hrm, I'd actually recommend Avadon 1 the most of the Avadon Series as it was the hardest one and the tinkermage broke the balance. ^^

Regarding IWD: I only played that one very, very briefly. But wasn't that more a hack and slash game putting tactical combat / npc interaction secondary?

Back
Top Bottom