The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Last week I was rapidly switching between Au Revoir Simone and the Chromatics, today I'm back to Radiohead and their rerelease of Ok Computer, which is simply awesome. Finally, FINALLY, Lift made it onto an album!!

Rock music, pop music. It has to be in English, right? Well. It's obviously natural for English artists to use English, to some degree also for American and Australian performers. But for non-natives? It may make sense if you want an international audience, but not always. A band like Rammstein performs quite well, despite singing in German. In fact, I find that German fits their music very well and I've got all their albums minus 1. (It has to be said das ich Deutsch verstehen, that may have something to do with it).

Some claim that they find it easier to express themselves in English. Which begs the question: How can you expect to write better lyrics in a language you don't master? More likely, to non-English listeners bad lyrics don't sound as bad as they really are in a foreign language.

Here are a couple of Norwegian rock bands singing in Norwegian (curiously, two of the bands selected an English name :

"Metropolis" by the band "Seigmen" (named after a Norwergian candy)

"Splitter pine" (translated: "totally bonkers") by Dum Dum Boys

"Ompa til du dør" ("oom-pah till you die") by Kaizer's Orchestra.

So, what are your localized favourites? I see the musketeer has already given a few (good) Danish examples.

pibbur who knows Norwegian better than English, but tends to write just as many typos in both languages.

Last edited:
A new discovery for me, care of KCRW Mornings Become Eclectic.

Lo Moon

Sounds like late Talk Talk, Brian Ferry, and lots of echoey shoegazey guitars thrown in. Lush. Lovely. Floaty mixed with Driving. Nice.

Last edited:
Mississippi John Hurt - Richland Woman Blues:

Yosi Horikawa - Bubbles (really nice sound engineering):

Back
Top Bottom