Starpoint Gemini Warlords - Review @ Geeksnack

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame spotted a Starpoint Gemini Warlords review at Geeksnack:

Starpoint Gemini Warlords Review – From Lowly Freelancer to Galactic Emperor

Space: the final frontier. Also, a great setting if you’re looking to create an in-depth sim that combines several vastly different genres into one coherent package. Not an easy thing to do, mind you, but it can certainly be done and Starpoint Gemini Warlords is the perfect example of this. Improving upon the formula established in their previous titles, developer Little Green Men Games and publisher Iceberg Interactive took fan feedback to heart and crafted an intricate space sim that borrows aspects from some of the best titles in the genre while still maintaining a rather unique feel. It’s not the most original concept out there but it works, and in a day and age when good space sims are few and far between, Starpoint Gemini Warlords is a breath of fresh air for fans of the genre.

[...]

All these different elements tie in surprisingly well with each other whether it’s scavenging derelicts for resources to be used towards base building, taking your fleet into hostile territory to capture structures that can later be incorporated into your ever-growing empire or investing resources into research that will make your troops more efficient at capturing enemy ships. It’s quite surprising that Starpoint Gemini Warlords manages to blend together so many genres in such a seamless way. The drawback here is that some of the systems aren’t as complex as they would have been if this was a traditional space sim. As a result, Starpoint Gemini Warlords can sometimes feel like a jack of all trades, master of none type of game, though not in a bad way. By combining all these different things and getting most of them right, the developers managed to create a fairly unique experience with this game.

It may not be the best space sim, RPG or 4X game, but it’s certainly one of the best titles to combines all these different genres into one cohesive product. Starpoint Gemini Warlords is greater than the sum of its parts and makes for a very compelling and immersive experience when everything is said and done. It’s also worth noting that the game only recently got out of Early Access and, if similar titles are anything to go by, Starpoint Gemini Warlords is just beginning its journey and is likely to get bigger and more polished as time moves on. Even at this stage, though, Starpoint Gemini Warlords is a must-play for fans of the series and anyone who enjoys a good space game.
More information.

This game is not very good. It tries to be too many things at the same time and fails miserably. The progression system sucks, there's too much grinding involved and the activities are not enjoyable.
The galaxy doesn't feel lived in and enemy scaling is ridiculous. Every time you want to take on a mission you have to go back to your HQ, which sucks. Interaction with NPCs is very limited. The missions themselves feel like a chore.
The controls suck, camera control is a joke. All the ships you can buy feel the same. AI is very bad too, your control over your wingmates is extremely rudimentary. Empire building is so shallow, you just build stuff so you can get more passive income.
The classes you can choose don't have any meat to them, the skill trees are abysmal and make no sense.
Sound and visual design are atrocious.
I'm a huge fan of space simulation games and I can tell you that this is isn't worthy of your attention, even at a sale.

Pretty positive reviews but I'll wait on this one. Both the previous games needed some time before they were really ready so I'm not in a big rush. I do expect to buy it, though. (Probably while giving all the other great RPGs coming out this year time to get their own bugs fixed.)

P.S. Two Steam reviewers called it Mount & Blade in space.

Thanks for the impressions. I do have my eye on Everspace also - though I'm not certain I like the sound of its rogue-like implementation (it sounds too grindy to me).

The galaxy doesn't feel lived in and enemy scaling is ridiculous.

I could try it in spite of the rest, but this? No thanks. (Yay, I gained a level! Guess what, so did everything else...)

I could try it in spite of the rest, but this? No thanks. (Yay, I gained a level! Guess what, so did everything else…)

Exactly. As soon as you upgrade your ship tier the whole galaxy gets it too. Extremely offputting.

Back
Top Bottom