Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Access Review @ PC Gamer - Page 4 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Access Review @ PC Gamer

Default Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Access Review @ PC Gamer

October 13th, 2020, 08:43
Originally Posted by Andrew23 View Post
Good to hear so positive feedback. And there is still how much development time ahead?
Yes, this will almost certainly become a great game (if you liked the previous Larian games and Dragon Age games, that is). I am still very impressed by the EA build and will do another playthrough before Cyberpunk hits us. The EA build was *very* enjoyable. Don't expect the game before 2022, though. They say the development may take from a year to years. I haven't seen a studio that is quicker than they initially estimate…

largh

Watchdog

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

October 13th, 2020, 08:56
No offense but I see that question asked on almost every thread on this forum. Larian posted an answer on the Early Access FAQ. Don't know were people are getting 2022.
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“Though Act 1 (the content for Early Access) is defined, Act’s 2 and 3 are work in progress. It’s therefore difficult to predict when 1.0 will launch. We anticipate Baldur’s Gate 3 being in Early Access for at least one year but we’ll have to see how it goes. It’ll be ready when it’s ready.”
So there you have it one year at least maybe more. This isn't a small indie developer milking Early Access. It's a large multi-studio developer with 100's of employees.

Want my guess? Well I'll say late 2021 or mid 2022. Don't quote me on it though.
--
"My news thread updated weekly for anyone interested in more news." - Couchpotato

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)

October 13th, 2020, 10:34
2022 is based on simple maths from the statement you quoted, I think Your approach is more scientific, but you really believe they'll manage to get it ready in 2021? Time will show. I would be surprised if it came in 2021. Wouldn't be surprised if it was 2023 or even later.

largh

Watchdog

October 13th, 2020, 18:36
Again can't agree with you because past Larian Early Access games took a year, maybe a year and a half. I don't care if the game is larger my answer is based on stats.

Also remember most systems are done. They need to focus on content. Don't believe me look at Cyberpunk 2077's development this year. Went from alpha to complete in a year.
--
"My news thread updated weekly for anyone interested in more news." - Couchpotato

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

October 13th, 2020, 20:10
I don't think they'll stay longer in EA than 2 years. That would be quite damaging to their reputation. My guess is a release in early/mid 2022.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

October 13th, 2020, 20:28
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Again can't agree with you because past Larian Early Access games took a year, maybe a year and a half. I don't care if the game is larger my answer is based on stats.

Also remember most systems are done. They need to focus on content. Don't believe me look at Cyberpunk 2077's development this year. Went from alpha to complete in a year.
Not a great example. Cyberpunk was content complete for all or most of 2020. Working on content means being earlier in the process. Though I don't think optimization will take nearly as long for BG3 as it did for CP2077.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

October 13th, 2020, 20:33
Yeah see I choose Cyberpunk 2077 based on a few developer interviews this year. The games tech & systems take the bulk of development time. Content is the easy part.

Then it's followed by optimizing for it's final release. Hence the crunch right now. Still yeah not a good example as that game was in development for 7+ years already.

Let me put it an easier way. Alpha usually means tech & systems are almost complete and in place. You just need to finish the content/gameplay & optimizing next.

Baldurs's Gate III Act 1 is the alpha version.
--

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

October 14th, 2020, 00:27
Big patch notes for today. The post was very amusing and well written. Enjoy reading them. Also the data on who dies a lot and where was fun.

Probably a link somewhere but here is a cut and paste from the steam page - minus the images:

Spoiler
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

October 14th, 2020, 01:03
I find it very interesteing that more posts are made about this betatest than about what''s supposed to be a full release: Wasteland mmo.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)

October 14th, 2020, 01:30
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
I find it very interesteing that more posts are made about this betatest than about what''s supposed to be a full release: Wasteland mmo.
Baldur's Gate 3 is playable co-op. Why is it not an "MMO"?

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
+1:

October 14th, 2020, 08:25
@joxer, did you try either of these "MMO"s? Which one would you prefer if you had to choose ("neither" isn't a valid answer )

largh

Watchdog

+1:

October 14th, 2020, 08:39
Was just looking at the system requirements. 150 GB install? Is that correct?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)

October 14th, 2020, 08:44
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Was just looking at the system requirements. 150 GB install? Is that correct?
No as it's only 80 GB but my guess is the final release will be 150 GB+.
Larian director of publishing Michael Douse stated on Twitter that the install size of Baldur's Gate 3 is actually around 80GB, but having 150GB free is "good for u."
Link - https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate…access-launch/
--

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

+1:

October 15th, 2020, 01:08
Originally Posted by largh View Post
@joxer, did you try either of these "MMO"s? Which one would you prefer if you had to choose ("neither" isn't a valid answer )
Of course I did. And not only that, I'm playing extensively a fresh mmo.
You probably missed me saying, after I wasted too many hours on it, that Genshin Impact, which is mmo, deserves 0/10.

Which one I prefer is an easy answer. LoL aka League of Legends. You go in when you want, play when you want, you don't lose anything for not playing it daily, there are no time limitations nor similar mmo bullshit. It's free and has no scams.
You can pay, sure - for skins. Which are cosmetics only. You can't buy yourself a win.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

October 15th, 2020, 04:09
joxer spends far more time playing MMOs than anyone else I know who hates MMOs.
Last edited by JDR13; October 15th, 2020 at 04:22.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

October 15th, 2020, 18:11
I never played any of the old BG games or any of the newer divinity games (well installed all them and tried for less than a hour) so I am coming into this "fresh" and after about 8 hours, I have to say I am in love so much so that that I have stopped playing it!

This games reminds of all the good things I loved about old RPG like NWN, NWN2, KOTOR etc.

I stopped playing it since I don't want to ruin the experience of playing the fully finished game. Story is important to me and don't like to spoils it and since I hard replay games, its very unlikely I will play the game again if I played the EA version of it.

lostforever

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

October 15th, 2020, 19:29
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I never played any of the old BG games or any of the newer divinity games (well installed all them and tried for less than a hour) so I am coming into this "fresh" and after about 8 hours, I have to say I am in love so much so that that I have stopped playing it!

This games reminds of all the good things I loved about old RPG like NWN, NWN2, KOTOR etc.

I stopped playing it since I don't want to ruin the experience of playing the fully finished game. Story is important to me and don't like to spoils it and since I hard replay games, its very unlikely I will play the game again if I played the EA version of it.
Since you've never played them, you should do yourself a favor and play BG 1&2 before BG 3 releases. You'll thank me later.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 15th, 2020, 19:44
No. PST comes first. Also, skip Pool of Radiance, it has less story than Skyrim and Skyrim has none.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

October 15th, 2020, 20:25
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Since you've never played them, you should do yourself a favor and play BG 1&2 before BG 3 releases. You'll thank me later.
!!!!!
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

October 15th, 2020, 23:21
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post

Really glad to hear an enthusiastic, positive take. I am staying miles away for now, and I have to say was feeling super pessimistic based on the early 'takes' coming out of the early access. You made my day

bizorker

Watchdog
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Access Review @ PC Gamer