Phoenix Point - Epic Games Store Announcement

It's really not that big of a deal, but as usual, people are going to make it into something more.

There's nothing wrong with Epic. I'm currently using it to play Metro Exodus, and it launches faster than Steam and is just as hassle-free. People might as well get it now because it isn't going anywhere.

Not the problem.

I do not enjoy having that many 'shops' on my PC, all of them trying to launch with Windows, or install stuff when you are not looking, changing the rules on their own, updating this or this or not. You get Steam, GOG, Origins, the ones for Ubisoft and Bethesda and now Epic, without forgetting the huge failure of the Windows Marketplace which is running in the background.. Good for you if you do not mind.

Metro will be on Steam, fully patched, and maybe at a price in a few months, and this one will be the same.

It is not as if we were out of stock of games to play.

It's really not that big of a deal, but as usual, people are going to make it into something more.
Nah I'll get it another way were I wont have to use the Epic Store.

This time I wont feel regret either so refund submitted.:ahoy:

They must pay a dreadful price for their lack of fealty. All hail Valve.

They must pay a dreadful price for their lack of fealty. All hail Valve.
Nope maybe if developers learn not to use bait and switch on crowdfunded games. Now if he communicated on fig it would be an Epic exclusive I would have no problem.

Look at Rebel Galaxy Outlaw no Steam or GOG releases announced just the Epic store. They even gave a lengthy reasonable update why they chose Epic over Steam and GOG.

Let that sink in no bait and switch as Epic was the target not other platforms first. My problem is not the Epic store just dishonest developers, and publishers with PR excuses.

Not the problem.

I do not enjoy having that many 'shops' on my PC, all of them trying to launch with Windows, or install stuff when you are not looking, changing the rules on their own, updating this or this or not. You get Steam, GOG, Origins, the ones for Ubisoft and Bethesda and now Epic, without forgetting the huge failure of the Windows Marketplace which is running in the background.. Good for you if you do not mind.

Metro will be on Steam, fully patched, and maybe at a price in a few months, and this one will be the same.

Yes, it's a small inconvenience. My point is that that's all it is. Epic doesn't do anything to your system that Steam doesn't already do.

And no, Metro Exodus will not be on Steam in a few months and neither will any other game that's part of the exclusivity agreement.

It is not as if we were out of stock of games to play.

Cool, but most people don't want to wait another year to play something they've already been waiting for. You go ahead and wait though. That'll show em! ;)

I think the fact they're offering full refunds to anyone unhappy pretty much covers any charge of a bait and switch.

I think the fact they're offering full refunds to anyone unhappy pretty much covers any charge of a bait and switch.
Nope it's still bait and switch no excuses please. This isn't kindergarten.:biggrin:

Rag'n'Bone Man - Human (Official Video)

"He's only human, after all, don't put your blame on him…" :p

Yes, it's a small inconvenience. My point is that that's all it is. Epic doesn't do anything to your system that Steam doesn't already do.

And no, Metro Exodus will not be on Steam in a few months and neither will any other game that's part of the exclusivity agreement.

Cool, but most people don't want to wait another year to play something they've already been waiting for. You go ahead and wait though. That'll show em! ;)

I have no intention of showing anything to anyone. I am in no war with no one. It is just than I do not want to have ten shops on my PC. I did not buy Fallout 76, I did not buy Anthem, I will not buy those 2 and I still have enough game choice.
You are maybe right about those 2 remaining exclusives and in the end who cares? I do not miss Fallout 76 and Anthem either.

I am in no war with no one. It is just than I do not want to have ten shops on my PC.

How about ten cent? :D

Yeah, I know, bad joke, bad joke... :p :p :p

It seems to me there are just too many games out there these days to limit your sales like this. I hope he enjoys his extra 10%, or whatever it is. I don't have the ability to look at real numbers, of course, but my gut feeling is a move like this just isn't worth it, especially if you're an indy just starting out. You need as many people to see your game as possible.
Obviously the people making Phoenix Point have run the numbers and decided that this will, in fact, be worth it. And I would have to assume that they're far more likely to be right than you are, due to having much more information that you don't have access to. Such as, for example, knowledge of whatever sweet deal Epic set them up with.

You can still (legally) play this game without Epic's client anyway, you just have to wait a year. Which is about the amount of time you should wait before playing any newly-released game these days anyway. It's not a big deal at all even if you're anti-Epic.

Nope it's still bait and switch no excuses please. This isn't kindergarten.:biggrin:

Kindergarten? Probably a good place to look for someone who thinks this is how a bait and switch works. :p

I'm so glad I didn't back this!! I'll have plenty of time to see what friends and others think of this product before it arrives at great old games or steam.

Kindergarten? Probably a good place to look for someone who thinks this is how a bait and switch works. :p
Well lets see.:D

1. Backers paid money on FIG for Steam and GOG.
2. Developer announces two years later its an Epic Store Exclusive.
3. Now you can only get a Steam and GOG one year after release.

Bait and Switch!!!!!!

Refunds offered does not change the facts. Anyway I can't convince everyone.:)

Update: So I'm done gave my personal opinion so Au revoir everyone.

Last edited:
Except that to be a bait and switch, they'd have needed to deliberately attempt to bait people with promises of Steam, then forcing them to take the Epic Store, before they even knew it existed. And, if you have the offer of full refunds, it ain't much of a scam. More a bait and switch and switch back to having your money again.

I think they took what they thought was the best deal for their company, and went out of their way to try to be fair to their backers.

The Fig campaign rewards for the different tiers were just listed as "Digital downloadable edition of Phoenix Point", no particular platform specified. It's only in the FAQ that Steam and GoG are ever even mentioned, eg:
Q: Will the game be on Steam?
A: Yes, Phoenix Point will be on Steam and we will provide Steam keys to backers who want to receive their game this way.
Technically, that's all still true, people who want Steam keys will still receive them, it'll just be 1 year after they get their Epic key. I assume because of the 1 year delay, they're offering refunds for people who want them.

Most people backed a game, not a digital distribution platform. Most won't/don't care about this.

Back
Top Bottom