Blackguards - Review @ Dealspwn

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Dealspwn reviews Blackguards and gives the game a 7/10.

Blackguards is a monstrous slab of ruthlessly tough yet massively rewarding strategy that fans of old-school RPGs will find impossible to resist. The more esoteric and chance-based aspects of its mechanics and presentation will put many players off -- not to mention a difficulty curve that makes The Shard look like The Shire -- but chances are you already know where you stand.
More information.

Immense length brings padding and repetition

Immense length? Last week I saw on youtube one of the developers saying they expected most people to finish in about 40 hours, the first time through. Does that qualify as "immense length", these days?

Edit: Also noticed they gave it an editor's choice award, along with the 7/10 score? What's up with that? Cuz, I wouldn't personally be handing out special awards to products I rated that low. 70% is average. At best.

Author seems to love it for all the right reasons, and deducts a few points based mostly upon those very things he loves!
It can be punishing, and that's awesome!

40 hours isn't realistic. It's more like 60 hours.

The editor's choice was probably given because he loved the game while at the same time he felt the need to give out a lower score to please the site's target audience.

It's definitely a niche product and won't get the recognition it deserves from the mainstream audience.

I thought his overall text was accurate though except for the difficulty, I just can't understand why so many think its so difficult.

I thought his overall text was accurate though except for the difficulty, I just can't understand why so many think its so difficult.

Because they've mostly played EA and only veryfied with the release version.

I missed this game completly.

When i checked it out yesterday and noticed it was the dark eye i had to buy it.

Any patch notes available?

Whatever game patch is coming, Blackguards is polished enough (I've found only one bug so far and not a gamestopper one) that it doesn't need any patch IMO at all.
Unless there is a crash issue on certain hardware or OS…

7/10 is a good score. It does deserve 8/10 since the game is not just polished but also so much fun. However it just can't get 10/10, while the strategy aspect is awsome, the story… Is "meh". :)

Back
Top Bottom