The TV Series discussion thread

I binged season 2 of A Discovery of Witches. Was even better than season 1. Can't wait for season 3!!

I've started watching the second series of Counterpart, which I've not seen before. I'm a huge fan of series one, this one seems a bit slower but maybe things will pick up, I'm only three episodes in so far. I also have tried out Doom Patrol, and so far it's pretty fun and super bonkers!!

I might be done with Expanse. I'd never read past book three so the telly show got into territory I'm not familiar with, and wow did this show go in a direction that I truly detest. I might stick it out till the end just to see how it all resolves, but highly unlikely that I'll ever re-watch the series, now.

For some reason I felt like watching a more lighthearted tv series (It's more of a mini series of 6 episodes). So I watched The Undoing, with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant. It was pretty decent and the acting was good. But for some reason Hugh Grant always seems like he's smiling, even in dramatic moments. But Kidman was pretty great, as always.

The ending though, was kind of underwhelming. And the main antagonist makes some stupid decisions.

I've started watching the second series of Counterpart, which I've not seen before. I'm a huge fan of series one, this one seems a bit slower but maybe things will pick up, I'm only three episodes in so far. I also have tried out Doom Patrol, and so far it's pretty fun and super bonkers!

Counterpart was really good. The second season is good, stick with it. One of the more disappointing cancellations in recent years. I was hoping somebody would pick it up (like with the Expanse) but sadly it didn't happen.

I loved the first season of Doom Patrol. Comparatively, I didn't like the second as much, but it still has its positives and there's nothing really like it.

Oh yeah, I'm not giving up on Counterpart. I expected business might pick up, and it surely did, there was an entire episode devoted to explaining just how and when the....incident happened. At first glance it struck me as unnecessary, but as I realized how tied into this series the explanation is, it all made sense. I was a huge fan of the first series, but dreaded watching the second because I knew that would be it, no matter how good it was, it'd already been axed. I'm not saying the second is as good as the first, as I've still not seen all the episodes, but it's certainly worth watching and far superior to most other telly.

Counterpart
Neverheard…
Doom Patrol, and so far it's pretty fun and super bonkers!!
After friends said it's not as fun as Umbrella Academy, not interested.
I might be done with Expanse. I'd never read past book three so the telly show got into territory I'm not familiar with, and wow did this show go in a direction that I truly detest.
It's opposite for me. I panicked it'll turn into Stargate:SG1 or the last season of The100 and thankfully it did not.
Can't wait for the final season of the current arc!

Is there anyone, who is an anime lover or freak, like me :p
We have a separate thread dedicated to anime:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29745

I've started watching the second series of Counterpart, which I've not seen before.

Counterpart was really good. The second season is good, stick with it. One of the more disappointing cancellations in recent years. I was hoping somebody would pick it up (like with the Expanse) but sadly it didn't happen.
Yes, that was surprising and very disappointing. They had a few very good ideas, I really like the inevitable comparison between the mirror characters, and how they changed with time.

Another bad surprise was Colony. I hadn't even checked before starting the series, then realized they cancelled it after the third season. The main characters did a good job to show their ambivalence and the difficulty to keep their integrity under all circumstances. Also, it didn't fall for the easy bad & good manicheism, far from it, even for the opponents.

But I think it's still worth watching.

I watched Colony, I thought it was ok but not in the same league as, say, Counterpart is. I'd rank Counterpart almost as good as shows like Deadwood, the Wire, and Better Call Saul. It's really good, if you're after an interesting story.

"Are you cruisin' for a bruisin'?"

:lol:

I don't know if any of you people who live in foreign countries have ever heard about this slang phrase, but I believe it was popular in America in the 1950s. Whether it lasted through the 1960s I don't know.

But I was recently watching a tv series, "Austraila's next Top Model" and the show immediately charmed me, when one of the models (young women, from age ranges 18 to 22) was in a "cat fight" with another girl, and she actually used that old slang phrase. It was hilarious. I know things in Australia are supposed to resemble American culture 50 years ago, but this was something else, lol.

Anyway, highly recommended if you like eye candy (pretty scenery in Sydney and environs, pretty young women) and aren't offended over pg-rated nudity. (some skimpy outfits in certain photo shoots the models compete in (yes, they still do swimsuit competitions) and a few breasts exposed briefly in changing rooms)

The first season has actually good drama as well, if you like drama. As you might imagine with a house full of young women and the factions and rivalries and so on that develop. This season actually has interesting personalities as well, clashing together and human psychology and group psychology interesting stuff going on, like who becomes leaders and followers, etc. (many times in these shows the models have no personalities, while there a few like that, in this show/season, its made up by the ones with strong personalities)

I re-watched the last series of Better Call Saul over the past three weeks, just to have a really good telly show to count on every second or third day. I figured this would finally be the year that Rhea gets nominated, she's just so damn good in the show, she and Bob have this amazing chemistry, but nope, no joy. For me Better Call Saul simply leaves Breaking Bad in the dust story and character-wise, it's truly one of the best series that I've ever viewed.

I re-watched the last series of Better Call Saul over the past three weeks, just to have a really good telly show to count on every second or third day. I figured this would finally be the year that Rhea gets nominated, she's just so damn good in the show, she and Bob have this amazing chemistry, but nope, no joy. For me Better Call Saul simply leaves Breaking Bad in the dust story and character-wise, it's truly one of the best series that I've ever viewed.

I can hardly wait for the final season to be released. I've only seen the first season of Breaking Bad.

I stopped watching it after a while, perhaps I should try again.

Do we ever see Breaking Bad's main character in Better Call Saul, as a mirror to the first series?

No, and thank goodness. Since Breaking Bad ended with him getting what he truly deserved, I sincerely hope he never shows up on Better Call Saul. In my mind it's hard to imagine a more dreadful character, and I know it's make-believe but damn, White was one hell of a sick, evil bastard. I mean he made Anthony Soprano look like a nerd living in a basement by comparison.

I do have an idea of how Better Call Saul might end, and in my head it's a good finish. But I'm sure the writers don't need my help, they've entirely nailed the show so far and I suspect the ending will be good.

No, and thank goodness. Since Breaking Bad ended with him getting what he truly deserved, I sincerely hope he never shows up on Better Call Saul. In my mind it's hard to imagine a more dreadful character, and I know it's make-believe but damn, White was one hell of a sick, evil bastard. I mean he made Anthony Soprano look like a nerd living in a basement by comparison.

I couldn't disagree more, but to each his own.

Anyone watching Resident Alien? Like The Watch it's a weird, but fascinating show. Give it a try.

Anyone watching Resident Alien? Like The Watch it's a weird, but fascinating show. Give it a try.
There is almost zero chance I'm gonna touch any new show before the whole season is available to binge.
I got spoiled by Netflix and viki.

I tried the pilot of Resident Alien and, while I simply love the lead guy from Firefly in it, some his behavior and that of other characters grates on me in ways that I cannot even explain. Real people simply don't behave like this, lol. Not sure if I can stomach another episode, tbh. BTW, had he actually executed that screaming child, I might have stuck around for at least one more shot!

Not sure I agree either, but I have a love/hate feeling toward the series (Breaking Bad) so I'm mixed.

The first time, I watched the first two episodes, and I gave up. Since everyone seemed to like it, I forced myself past my initial prejudice and watched again a few episodes, and it went better, I started to appreciate it for what it was. It doesn't fly very high but I found deliciously off the trolley and somewhat refreshing with the play on Walter and Jessie opposing characters.

Not sure it deserves the high scores of IMDb or Metacritic, but those scores are just raw data and not always relevant for everyone.

So all I'm saying is, I understand one may not like it.

Back
Top Bottom