Let's Play "The Realm" FRUA Designs - The Southlands Campaign!

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor
hey folks. for those who don't know, The Realm is a series of designs for FRUA made by Ray Dyer, and there are 3 paths u can choose to take to the ultimate peak of the campaign - Eastlands, Westlands and Southlands. I did Southlands because it features classic designs like Temple of Elemental Evil and Sinister Secret of Satlmarsh, etc.. The Realm is a large campaign world as well, culminating in the Northlands with epic adventures beyond level 10. All in patched 1.3 FRUA.

So, the first video explaining more about The Realm and showing off the campaign a bit is here. U can also stick with this playlist to see the introduction design and then move thru each playlist up to where I'm currently at, FRUA Designs #5 Temple of Elemental Evil.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkYV_DP3AWhXOszu5Axx84Au1DYc5QC8V

Feel free to join me on my adventures! See u there. :party:

I'm now (poorly) mapping (by hand) the temple of elemental evil and i have to say, this being my first time drawing actual maps for an rpg is a TON of fun! It is so satisfying to draw the map and leisurely explore this dangerous and tough place. To top it off, magical loot is *very* rare, so when u actually find an upgrade, how sweet it is! Really having a lot of fun, so if anyone wants to watch feel free to pick up on the last few episodes (been exploring the temple for several episodes now.) Cheers! :party:

and PS. why didn't u guys tell me FRUA and gold box style CRPGs were *this* good! :D I feel like I've unlocked a totally new and fun genre for myself, the gold box style rpg. :)

I've been tellling you about Goldbox games for years, Fluent. About time you took the plunge. :)

I still have the original maps that I did for games like Wizardry, Bard's Tale, Ultima, and many gold box games that I played in the eighties. Those maps and notations add to the replay value by so many factors that I cannot even put it into words, there have been times that I've enjoyed some of those revisits far more than a new game that I'd been looking forward for a year or more. I think I've harped on this site for years just how great these games are, and if you consider yourself a true computer role playing fan and have yet to play them, you are really missing out!

I still have the original maps that I did for games like Wizardry, Bard's Tale, Ultima, and many gold box games that I played in the eighties. Those maps and notations add to the replay value by so many factors that I cannot even put it into words, there have been times that I've enjoyed some of those revisits far more than a new game that I'd been looking forward for a year or more. I think I've harped on this site for years just how great these games are, and if you consider yourself a true computer role playing fan and have yet to play them, you are really missing out!

I've been tellling you about Goldbox games for years, Fluent. About time you took the plunge. :)

You guys are right, you both sing the praises of these games but I just didn't listen at the time. So glad that now I can have these rich RPG experiences as a complete newbie to the genre! Onwards to the Temple. :)

Anyone checking out my Temple Of Elemental Evil vids? WOW, this place is wicked! Not just wicked evil but wicked tricky to map! The author did a heck of a job building this devious place and it's been challenging to map and succeed in, but we're doing it. Just picked up some of our first magical items there (they are ultra rare in these modules) and it was very satisfying. :) Loving it. Would love for some of u to check it out and let me know what u think. :party:

So, this is by far the most accurate (almost every encounter from the pen and paper version is in the FRUA version) and most jam-packed and interesting take on Temple Of Elemental Evil I've played yet. There are just a *ton* of encounters, interesting places to explore, magical items to find, unique enemies to fight, corridors and secret doors to map, etc. etc.. Just fantastic. I highly recommend anyone who is interested in the Temple to check out this design! It's just really, really good.

Back
Top Bottom