Deus Ex - The Best Game Ever? @ RPS

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
John Walker of RPS published a new article with his opinion on whether Deus Ex is still The the best game ever. The first part talks about memories, and hardware renderers.

When asked, “What is the best game ever?” I always give one reply. “Deus Ex.” Back in the days when my passport still allowed me into PC Gamer Top 100 meetings, I would furiously argue that it should be no. 1, and indeed become furious whenever it did not. While I may pick another name if asked for my favourite game, when it comes to “best”, I always say Looking Glass/Ion Storm’s greatest moment. But what if I’m wrong?
More information.

Bah.

The best game ever is Daikatana.
And it's supposed to be dethroned by just about to be released Grimoire.

I have not. Looking it up now.

It seems to just be online multiplayer. I did that on Kali (sp) long ago for MW2 but the I prefer single player.

Grimoire beats it hands down, but I guess technically since it's not officially out yet it doesn't count?

I still need to play this. Bought the GOTY and put in the New Vision mod but only loaded it up and started the first few scenes. For whatever reason I got distracted with other games.

Eventually ...

Just checked out the status of the Revision Mod and they had this on the page just posted yesterday.

http://www.dx-revision.com/website/

Production Complete

by John French

We’ve finished primary production on Revision 1.0, and have now started our final pre-release playtest. We will be using feedback from this playtest to polish up the gameplay experience and catch any remaining technical issues.

Looks like I will wait just a bit more until I play DX.

Just checked out the status of the Revision Mod and they had this on the page just posted yesterday.

http://www.dx-revision.com/website/

Looks like I will wait just a bit more until I play DX.

Keep in mind that the Revision mode changes map layouts, the music and other stuff. It's not so much DX as "how a bunch of a people believe the game should be".

All this talk about the original Deus Ex, and Mankind Divided, plus an unexpected want to replay Human Revolution makes me want to try the original Deus Ex once more. Last time I tried it I was let down, mainly because of how immersion-breaking I found the fact that enemies don't see you when you're in front of them, at a certain distance. But I'd like to try to get past that, and try again. I think I'll want to play both the original and Human Revolution before Mankind Divided is released.

Another highly subjective topic...
But yes. It is the best game ever.

No, it's not :biggrin:

I noticed that also and was disappointed in it.

True. The game generally did not age very well. I tried to replay it some time ago, also with the New Vision mod. However, in spite of the mod, the world just doesn't feel like a world anymore as it did back in the day. Nowadays everything just seems so... empty, barren, low detail, untextured. It's pretty horrible and since (one of) the game's main selling points was atmosphere and immersion, well, that's all but gone. I just couldn't get back into it.
The gameplay did not make up for these shortcomings either since what many of us were probably impressed by back in the day has either become standard or been repeated in many games since.
It was a great game at its time when the shooter genre, except Half-Life, was almost 100% braindead run'n'gun Doom, Quake & Unreal. Story-driven shooters or shooters with more varied gameplay were a novelty back then. That's probably why the game really stood out in the year 2000 but nowadays it just doesn't cut it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom