Fallout 4 - Official Announcement

Sadly I think Ripper is correct, we will see this from day one for FO4. After all they need to make the money they lost on ESO.

They didn't lost money on ESO, it's one of the most popular MMO in NA/EU and they always planned to turn it B2P for the console crowd, they just saw an opportunity to fleece the PC one first.

And I doubt FO4 is releasing with monetized mods. It would have if Skyrim's plan had not backfire so royally, but not anymore.

Still early.

I'd say Fallout 4 is at least a year away. People are forgetful enough for the modding fiasco (or at least its stigma) to be a distant memory by then. Combine the fact that modding tools aren't released until a month or two go by, and you could see an "Exciting and New!" newsbit when the Workshop Exclusive modding suite of tools releases.

Still early.

I'd say Fallout 4 is at least a year away.

The Bethesda store had the release to TBA 2015 yesterday (they removed the 2015 after some people inquired about it) and EB Games is sending marketing emails with "Coming 2015" for the game.

They didn't lost money on ESO, it's one of the most popular MMO in NA/EU and they always planned to turn it B2P for the console crowd, they just saw an opportunity to fleece the PC one first.

^ full agree with this but…

And I doubt FO4 is releasing with monetized mods. It would have if Skyrim's plan had not backfire so royally, but not anymore.
… the chances of monetized mods are very high IMHO, especially now that we can see that they seem to be using the same ol' Creation engine. Creating a mod kit with the relative ease of use of the Creation Kit is extremely complex and it is mountains of work to bring all these complex underlying systems to an abstraction level that you can allow people the level of interaction and modification that the Skyrim Creation Kit allows.

So a major part of the reason they went with the old engine is probably the modding scene. In their ideal world they would be earning money from Skyrim mods right now and modders would be used to the Skyrim Creation Kit and be able to begin digging into FO4 mods from day one without much of a learning process.
I don't believe that they are going to kiss their ideal world good-bye that easily. It's bad enough for them they had to part with 50% of their dream already (no Skyrim monetized mods). They won't just throw it all away. I'm 90%+ sure there will be monetized FO4 mods. They are going to want to have some extra payoff for sticking with the old engine.

Still early.

I'd say Fallout 4 is at least a year away.

Why would they wait seven years since FO3 to announce FO4 now if it is still a year away? That wouldn't make much sense. I'm betting on a holiday 2015 release. There aren't all that many other heavyweights coming out at the end of this year so FO4 would have a good chance of standing out as the major release that Bethesda wants it to be.

£50 on steam in the UK, Game has it for £40 boxed and £50 download, not sure why d/l is a tenner more, probably Game being incompetent.

Day 1 purchase for me, I'll comfortably get 100 hours + out of the base game so VFM!!

In Germany the physical and the retail version are both at 60€ though.
Well…maybe there is a collector's edition at some point. Rather pay 80€ for a CE than 60€ for the normal box/digital game.

You're trying to do what, exactly?

At least you don't sound really invested in hating a game because of a dog with AI problems :)

Get over it?
I don't understand what you are talking about, but I guess I accidentally touched a sore spot or something because your comment seems awfully personal. Just to be clear, I haven't read a single post from you in this thread and I don't care what you think. My post was a general statement about the ridiculous amount of irrational excitement over meaningless things in the trailer (the dog is just an example, it is a PC Gamer thing).

Get over it.

I don't understand what you are talking about, but I guess I accidentally touched a sore spot or something because your comment seems awfully personal. Just to be clear, I haven't read a single post from you in this thread and I don't care what you think. My post was a general statement about the ridiculous amount of irrational excitement over meaningless things in the trailer (the dog is just an example, it is a PC Gamer thing).

Get over it.

Talk about sore spots ;)

Talk about sore spots ;)
I think you are trying too hard to make this personal. I'll try my best not to do the same, even though I almost fell for it.
If you have anything to say that somehow may undermine my judgment about this level of excitement, say it. Otherwise...

Last edited:
I think you are trying too hard to make this personal. I'll try my best not to do the same, even though I almost fell for it.
If you have anything to say that somehow may undermine my judgment about this level of excitement, say it. Otherwise…

It's personal in that I'm talking to you as a person.

As for what I say or don't say, that's not something I can recommend trying to control, as it would be a waste of effort.

The fact that you're trying to take away some perceived excitement about something you don't personally appreciate, suggests you have a very unhealthy investment in this - and that you're incapable of tolerating how people differ from yourself.

That's why I suggested you get over it.

You're free to pretend it's a personal attack, if that's your thing.

It's personal in that I'm talking to you as a person.

As for what I say or don't say, that's not something I can recommend trying to control, as it would be a waste of effort.

The fact that you're trying to take away some perceived excitement about something you don't personally appreciate, suggests you have a very unhealthy investment in this - and that you're incapable of tolerating how people differ from yourself.

That's why I suggested you get over it.

You're free to pretend it's a personal attack, if that's your thing.

I think you and I both know what personal is, so playing with words is not going to help.
Every time someone post something even slightly critical of Bethsoft games (such as Skyrim/Fallout3/4) some people (you, for example) tend to take it personally, as if they have been offended, and turn a simple, general criticism into an all out personal fight. Now that is what I call a very unhealthy investment.
My comment was a general statement about the mass hysteria that has followed the release of a teaser about a game that has not even been properly introduced.
No one offended you, so take it easy.

You are of course free to criticize my point of view, but you are in no place to suggest or recommend what I say or don't.
And this:
I think you should listen to yourself more. The same exactly goes for every single person other than you, so I recommend the same. Stop trying to control whatever other people say (including me). Trying otherwise would mean you are either a hypocrite or a fool, and I don't perceive you as the latter.

I think Bethsoft's hype machine is strong here, and no matter how hard I try, some people will get excited. If there was no Dogmeat in the trailer, I'm sure people would get excited over a bridge, or a ruined building, on an armor set, or even a pebble.

See...I don;t usually agree with dart...but man, that line there is why people are laughing at you and taking anything you have to say about the game with a grain of salt. Perhaps also why they question your personal investment in hate.

I think you and I both know what personal is, so playing with words is not going to help.
Every time someone post something even slightly critical of Bethsoft games (such as Skyrim/Fallout3/4) some people (you, for example) tend to take it personally, as if they have been offended, and turn a simple, general criticism into an all out personal fight. Now that is what I call a very unhealthy investment.
My comment was a general statement about the mass hysteria that has followed the release of a teaser about a game that has not even been properly introduced.
No one offended you, so take it easy.

I know what I think personal is - and this isn't it.

As for your fantasy about mass hysteria and how you can't point out flaws in obviously flawed games without someone like myself taking it personally, I can't really recognise the reality part of it.

Sure, some people are emotionally invested in games like Skyrim - but I think most of us around here know it's flawed.

Sounds like you're imagining things.

You are of course free to criticize my point of view, but you are in no place to suggest or recommend what I say or don't.

I can say and recommend anything I want - just as you can.

I'm simply recommending that you take a road closer to the real world, but if you don't want to do that - it's fine.

I think you should listen to yourself more. The same exactly goes for every single person other than you, so I recommend the same. Stop trying to control whatever other people say (including me). Trying otherwise would mean you are either a hypocrite or a fool, and I don't perceive you as the latter.

I'm not trying to control anything. Not just because I don't care to control strangers - but also because I know it's all but impossible to do online.

Sure, some people are emotionally invested in games like Skyrim - but I think most of us around here know it's flawed.

Sounds like you're imagining things.
Really? Then it will be judged the next time someone posts something even slightly critical of Skyrim, and you remain calm and don't 'Dart' out at him/her.
Then again, if you are incapable of seeing the ridiculous waves of reaction to that trailer, (people posting videos of themselves shouting and crying, or some very stupid posts that we have seen so far) then there's something wrong with you; because that is blind consumerism at its worst.

I can say and recommend anything I want - just as you can.
I am not sure you are capable of seeing the irony here, as your defective doctrine is obviously paradoxical.

When I suggest people stop acting like ad bots for a game that we don't have any information about yet, I am trying to control them? But you can suggest anything you want and that's OK? I think you should take a single stance here, either this or that, but your double standards are laughable at best.

I'm simply recommending that you take a road closer to the real world, but if you don't want to do that - it's fine.
And that reality is what you say and think is right and true, yes? You are the person who defines what is real and what is not? You sound suspiciously like dictators and fanatics.

P.S. This is a very personal conversation, even if you are incapable of seeing that. If you insist on continuning it, I recommend we take it to the PMs or profile messages. The conversation has gone awfully off-topic.

Only a 5 more days…before Bethesda spend ~40 minutes talking about the next DOOM game and ~10 minutes talking about Fallout 4.

I think I'm much more interested in DXMD gameplay stuff (Square conference on the 16th) and if EA will reveal ME4 or not.

Really? Then it will be judged the next time someone posts something even slightly critical of Skyrim, and you remain calm and don't 'Dart' out at him/her.

Do you realise how you sound? Talking about "judging" and trying to stop people from being excited.

Then again, if you are incapable of seeing the ridiculous waves of reaction to that trailer, (people posting videos of themselves shouting and crying, or some very stupid posts that we have seen so far) then there's something wrong with you; because that is blind consumerism at its worst.

I thought we were talking about the Watch?

These games have a huge following - and you'll always find people desperate to get attention or be stupid in public.

Hardly a representation of the norm, much less the Watch.

When I suggest people stop acting like ad bots for a game that we don't have any information about yet, I am trying to control them? But you can suggest anything you want and that's OK? I think you should take a single stance here, either this or that, but your double standards are laughable at best.

Nah, I think it would be even better if you didn't invent things that I've said.

You were the one talking about trying hard and yet have people that are still excited. That suggests you're trying to control the response. It does NOT sound like a suggestion.

But why would you even suggest that they shouldn't be excited? Apparently, they love the game.

Why take that away?

And that reality is what you say and think is right and true, yes? You are the person who defines what is real and what is not? You sound suspiciously like dictators and fanatics.

I don't really know. Objective truth is a theory.

But I do think that arguing things rationally is all we have - and you don't seem capable of doing that.

P.S. This is a very personal conversation, even if you are incapable of seeing that. If you insist on continuning it, I recommend we take it to the PMs or profile messages. The conversation has gone awfully off-topic.

I have no interest in exchanging with you at all. This is a public forum - and when I respond to you, it's not necessarily because I want to talk to you.

It's because I want to promote rationality and I like to be inclusive. Exchanging with you alone would seem to be a complete waste of my time.

At least where this topic is concerned.

Did Bethesda eat blackcanopus(sy)'s baby? He/she/it seems to have a personal vendetta against them. I love Bethesda. They can do no wrong :D Ok, not really, but just for this thread.

The tech looks old, but if it is like Fallout 3 I'll play it several hundred hours and get way more than my money's worth. I assume Bethesda hasn't found a way to keep their modding community (which they now wish to make money off of) and still upgrade to something new as far as engines go. That's why I truly hope they do not profit from the monetization of mods. I hope people just say no and use the nexus.

They will have to offer something significantly new for me to get excited. Not really interested in doing the same thing over and over again.

I thought we were talking about the Watch?
I vividly remember I wrote 'PC Gamer'. Obviously you were not thinking at all.

You were the one talking about trying hard and yet have people that are still excited. That suggests you're trying to control the response. It does NOT sound like a suggestion.

But why would you even suggest that they shouldn't be excited? Apparently, they love the game.

Why take that away?
Did I say people should not be excited at all? Or that I want to 'take away their excitement'? I was excited about the reveal myself, but that doesn't mean I close my eyes to the fact that it was a mediocre trailer, or the fact that many people were hysterical about it. A dog is not worth that kind of excitement - and we are not talking about one or two posters, I am talking hundreds of people. When I suggest take it easy, I am not trying to control you. That's that: take it easy.

I have no interest in exchanging with you at all.
I was not recommending an exchange (whatever that is). I was subtly suggesting stop making a scene (something that you love).

My exchange ;) with you has come to an end. I won't continue this pointless discussion, and I recommend you do the same.

I vividly remember I wrote 'PC Gamer'. Obviously you were not thinking at all.

How's that relevant at all?

Did I say people should not be excited at all? Or that I want to 'take away their excitement'? I was excited about the reveal myself, but that doesn't mean I close my eyes to the fact that it was a mediocre trailer, or the fact that many people were hysterical about it. A dog is not worth that kind of excitement - and we are not talking about one or two posters, I am talking hundreds of people. When I suggest take it easy, I am not trying to control you. That's that: take it easy.

Please point these hundreds of people out to me.

I was not recommending an exchange (whatever that is). I was subtly suggesting stop making a scene (something that you love).

I can't stop making your scene, that's on you.

My exchange ;) with you has come to an end. I won't continue this pointless discussion, and I recommend you do the same.

That's a relief :)

Back
Top Bottom