Skyrim - Price Inflated Prior to Sale

I played Skyrim enthusiastically until I climbed the mountain and got my DragonBall-Z powers from Beardie Elder Man Guru Guy…then I utterly lost all interest in continuing. It's still on my hard drive with the last save just waiting to be picked up from where I last stopped from 3-4 years ago or so. I think I'll give it another go when the HD pack comes out, just to show off the eye candy with my new Geforce 1070 if for no other reason. There might be some decent mods for it by now too, so…

Funny, this is about where I stopped playing as well. Followed shortly thereafter with my very easy defeat of a dragon. Whole mystique was lost at that point.

Dragon battles should be epic. (Side note: I really liked how Dragon Age: Inquisition handled it.)

I think they deserve a knee jerk reaction. THe legendary version was frequently 15$ on sale and it included all the dlc and base game. Now the cheapest you can get the dlc is $20. So that is raising the price on a very old game. I have the base game but never acquired the dlc because they were mostly said to be bleh and quite frankly even the base game is a bit weak esp compare to some of the better rpg released the last few years. So yea I say screw the company - this is almsot as bad as the crappy bioware points and dlc crap with mass effect 3. I much rather spend my money on companies that treat the customers well (xile, larian, cdprojek) than one that try to milk you (bioware/ea, bethesda, ubi, …)

I disagree a little. There are some titles that rarely are on sale and now they are.
For instance, the IMO overprized japanese ports to pc from Square Enix, NIS, or Idea Factory are sold now at 25% - 75%.
Also, I have a dozen games on my wishlist and now all of them have a doiscount between 20% and 80%.

Guess I got a bad draw, then. I usually don't bite until it's at least 30%, but would take 50%+ for older games, and I'm finding far fewer deals like that this year. Lots of 10-30%, but I can get that year-round, off and on. So I wait.

Funny, this is about where I stopped playing as well. Followed shortly thereafter with my very easy defeat of a dragon. Whole mystique was lost at that point.

Dragon battles should be epic. (Side note: I really liked how Dragon Age: Inquisition handled it.)

Dragon battles with some mods are crazy now...look up deadly dragons, it really makes it interesting.

I honestly couldn't care less what they do with a game that I'll likely never replay. If Bethesda ever goes the route of Ubi and Origin and launches their own platform they'll become a non-entity to me anyways, so maybe this is just in preparation for that day.

Well they are adding value to the game with the new engine update so that does create new demand for the game. Maybe it's not a tasteful move but it's their product and they should have the right to price it as they wish. We should of course also be free to contest and protest about it as does this article. If they make good money from this maybe they'll give Morrowind a modern engine update to 64bit+dx12 or something and I'm certain the community would love that to happen.

Yes, we should feel sorry that they aren't offering a big discount for those that fence sit? Why do they "owe" you that?

Silly.

They don't owe me anything and I don't owe them anything either. So they do what they want and I don't buy their games, we will both survive and remain happy. I don't see where is the sillyness except perhaps in understanding from my comment that I'm claiming they owe me anything.

If you're fine with this way of advertising big misleaing discounts good for you, enjoy it.

They don't owe me anything and I don't owe them anything either. So they do what they want and I don't buy their games, we will both survive and remain happy. I don't see where is the sillyness except perhaps in understanding from my comment that I'm claiming they owe me anything.

If you're fine with this way of advertising big misleaing discounts good for you, enjoy it.

What? They didn't raise the price they just took off some sales. What misleading discounts? Like another poster said you can get it for cheap still. Mountain out of a molehill.

What? They didn't raise the price they just took off some sales. What misleading discounts? Like another poster said you can get it for cheap still. Mountain out of a molehill.

It's just that vocal minority in the gaming community that enjoys complaining. "How dare that game not have the feature that I personally want but no one else does. How dare this game have a couple bugs that was missed but is getting fixed in tomorrow's patch. How dare this game not run properly on my $500 gaming system comprised of parts that less than .001% of people have." Or in this case, "how dare they change their pricing scheme on game that people have had a chance for 5 YEARS to buy at a discount, only to find out I can't buy the game for pocket lint as well as get the upgrade for free. Even though it only costs 2 pieces of pocket lint now. "

These are are the same spoiled brats that swear at their parents when they don't get pizza and burgers for dinner every night.

This is exactly what I expected when I heard the remastered editon would be free for those already having the DLC. Sadly...

This is exactly what I expected when I heard the remastered editon would be free for those already having the DLC. Sadly…

They aren't selling it for full price....it's still half the price(at least) of a new game with all the expansions....under 10 if you don't want the expansions....

This is not a very logical comment….if you already owned the versions of the game then yes it is free, them trying to get a bit more cash from those that sat on the fence doesn't really bug me at all.

The upgrade affects all of the products. People are required to have all of them to get the socalled free update.

The legendary edition is said to be priced $15. Which is the same as the two main DLcs each.

The legendary edition purchase was the solution for people who had an incomplete version, missing one or two dlcs.

As to logics, implying that people make money off a product supposed to come for free is indeed the kind of logics that can be read quite a lot on this site.

If indeed, it was that free, they would not have bothered to force people to complete their product in order to benefit from the free product.

I have Skyrim on Steam but no DLC and to upgrade via the new Legendary package would only cost me $16 US on the steam sale right now.

I don't see that as being a particularly great deal. Three DLC that are 4-5 years old should only cost about that much anyways.

Meh not surprised by anything Bethesda does anymore. They saw a way to make more money off gamers who wanted a way to cheaply upgrade to the Legendary edition.

What amazes me instead is how Skyrim still sells like hotcakes five years after it's initial release, and it even manages to make Steam's Bestseller list all year round.:thinking:

The claimed to be free updated Pc version appears not to be that free.
In the end, there will be flash sales on the remastered version.

It was announced to be free to everyone that owned the game and all of the DLC. So nothing has changed in that respect.

Simple economics… This is called the law of supply and demand.
There are simply not enough copies of Skyrim LE on Steam to meet demand. :p

In what appears to be a blatant effort to take advantage of people looking for a cheap version of Skyrim: Legendary Edition on PC (and qualifying for a ‘free' upgrade to the Special Edition), Bethesda inflated the price ahead of the Steam sale.
If you raise the price of a product just before offering a discount in the Steam sale of nearly 60% if I'm not mistaken, then that discount is bullshit and misleading advertising for me.

And? It's still business.

Understand that they need millions of $ to cover for their "megapopular" ESO. Why not from singleplayer games fans, everyone already does it. Well, not everyone but still.

That's why I don't use % discount to decide when to buy something. I use the site isthereanydeal and set a threshold price for each game I want (it can automatically import your Steam's wishlist), and it'll send me an email when any game goes below the price I set, so if I want Witcher 3 at $9, it won't matter if they set the price to $100 and say they're discounting it 80%, it will only send me an email when it's below $9.

People are whining because they're being cheap waiting for a sale so as to take advantage of getting something free in a few months?

Cry me a river.

Back
Top Bottom