Phoenix Point - First Impressions

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Game Watcher checked out Phoenix Point:

Hands-On Impressions with the successor to XCOM

We loved both of the Firaxis XCOM games, and will gladly take another, but they certainly lacked a bit of the strategic depth that characterized the earlier X-Com games. Now series creator Julian Gollop, and his team at Snapshot, are attempting to marry the straightforward playability of XCOM: Enemy Unknown with the depth of X-Com: UFO Defense. Can they succeed? Guess we’re going to have to play to find out… so we did just that.
[...]
Put simply, Phoenix Point feels like XCOM: Enemy Unknown… but improved, in every way. All the little annoyances are gone, such as now being able to correct movement and changing weapons no longer costs a turn. The over-simplicity of XCOM has been toned down, so bullet trajectories now matter and Overwatch is more useful but can no longer be spammed thanks to the introduction of Willpower.

But, at the same time, Snapshot have wisely kept the straightforward, easy-to-use control system and gameplay that made XCOM so popular. Anyone can play Phoenix Point and have a good time, as there are no barriers for entry and you can cleanly see and control your entire squad without confusion. Yet there is depth and subtlety to Phoenix Point and its various systems, so we a feeling that it’ll be easy to pick up, but difficult to master – which only the best games are. Phoenix Point’s release date is still far off, but we can’t wait to see more of it.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

It's a good sign if it's feeling that good already and the release is still far off.

It ought to be better than trainwreck XCOM 2, but that doesn't say much at all.

Why trainwreck? Oh wait, somebody told me you call every game a trainwreck.

I am replaying XCom and Xcom 2 at the moment… in the middle of XCom2 longwar… and goodness it is long!!!
TBH I think war of the chosen introduced some good things! To that end, I would rate XCom2/wotc as good as XCom(EW)… I enjoy playing both, and the differences are not large enough for me to choose which is better….

(I do think although long war 2 introduced some great ideas, there is just a bit too much tactical mission grinding! So I would rate it lower than Xcom(EW or EU) and XCom2 (Wotc).... You could make an argument that it is better than no DLC XCom2, but it depends upon how quickly you get sick of tactical missions... I am there and I am a patient person)

But that is just my thoughts

Backed this one so looking forward to it!

This is probably my most anticipated release. This is the big one on the horizon for me. Can't wait for this one, wow !

I like the idea that missiles are actually missiles that can hit other things than what you aim for. It's something I found strange in XCOM. Shoot a a group of bunched up enemies, miss the one you aim for, so it doesn't hit anything.

Didn't missed shots in XCOM 2 hit things as well? I know there were definitely times when I was would destroy a wall behind the enemy when I missed them. But I guess I never hit a target other than the one I was aiming for (except in the case of rockets).

Didn't missed shots in XCOM 2 hit things as well? I know there were definitely times when I was would destroy a wall behind the enemy when I missed them. But I guess I never hit a target other than the one I was aiming for (except in the case of rockets).

Yeah, you could hit some wall or something, but never other enemies.

Back
Top Bottom