Mount & Blade II - Gameplay @PC Gamer

The messy combat is still a disappointment for me.

messy combat??? M&B:W has one of the best melee combat system - and it looks that M&B2 will follow its example.

So far it looks really great for me and since full release is probably still 1 year away they have loads of time for polish and new features.

I would LOVE to see a single-player RPG, sans massive armies, with M&B's engine.

The messy combat is still a disappointment for me.

Messy is a heavy word here…for an indie title, it has absolutely fantastic combat. But engine limitations really keep it from it's full potential.
If it was developed with better tech with more people working on it, it would completely blow away all japanese action games.
European combat systems are far too underrated, in my opinion.

Give me M&B's combat over Witcher's any day!

In M&B when I get hit or myself hit, it's almost always because my character was doing exactly what my button presses (if not my mind) tell it to do. That's my preferred way of fighting, not Geralt's unpredictable twirling and auto gap-closing or other combat geometry management.

I'm not a M&B fan at all. I own Warband, but I could never get into it. I know one person who has like 2000 hours in it, been playing it for years. This new one, I have on my watchlist, it looks awesome.

In M&B when I get hit or myself hit, it's almost always because my character was doing exactly what my button presses (if not my mind) tell it to do. That's my preferred way of fighting, not Geralt's unpredictable twirling and auto gap-closing or other combat geometry management.

There's lots of games I would take the combat over Witcher. Witcher has never been strong on combat, it's more of a story based game.

It's an entirely different concept of game play...one focused on rhythm and choreography, another on direct input of basic player's actions.
Witcher III is leagues ahead of similar games when it comes of execution of dodge/roll mechanics and controlling combat rhythm.

By looking at that video it seem that combat system stays the same as in Warband. Maybe it have something into it, but for me it felt unrealistic, just look at that sword holding on mounted combat, you cant really hold it that way for that long and animation seems so clunky. Also when you hit someone it never have some backfeed like stagger or knockdown whatever, only health bar moves and that's all. For me its hardly a great combat system.

Looks like improved graphics but gameplay looks the same. Granted I fast forwarded a lot.

I hope sieges are improved and there are more things to do in settlements. And more quests.

Yeah - it's really looking like the same game to me with somewhat better graphics. It's pretty hard to hear what the guy is saying in that noisy room, though.

Hope we get good mods for it though. Give me ten thousand Mongols and I'll conquer the world. :p

Messy is a heavy word here…
You maybe right as I was meaning the melee combat is confusing at times, especially when you are fighting multiple opponents. But it's more correct to say that it has to do with the engine visual limitations. I also play M&B Warband (and played M&B since its early Bêta, many years ago) so yes, it really looks like the combat concepts have been used here almost verbatim. I had higher hopes technically speaking but I'll buy and play this nonetheless and I'm sure I'll have pleasure doing so.

Looks like improved graphics but gameplay looks the same. Granted I fast forwarded a lot.

I hope sieges are improved and there are more things to do in settlements. And more quests.

I agree. So far I feel that the biggest changes are the graphics... and that they seemingly have improved the mod capabilities and made it easier. For those of us who really loved Mount and Blade the mods was the best part and thus I salivate when thinking upon the possibilities.

However I wish there was a co-op mode added as well. Sadly it seems unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom