Is there no game like Gothic 1 and 2 in this world?

Razz

Watcher
I am currently playing Gothic 1 and have mastered the combat system but still its challenging.I find it really sad there are only few RPGs where you have a decent combat system and you can actually feel the tension of fighting the enemy.I have just started playing this game yesterday and this was far more better than Skyrim and other RPGs despite of medicore graphics.The atmosphere , factions , NPCs , story , characters development in Gothic feels like you are immersed in the game and can't stop the addiction of playing it.

I will soon download the Gothic 2 and play that as well but after completing these 2 games , which game should i try?I heard there is no game which adds the same feeling and combat like Gothic 1 and 2? I have heard about Ultima IX but hearing its review make me not to buy the game.If you guys have come across any similar games like Gothic ,please share it here.

Here are some Gothic mind blowing atmosphere

gothic-gameplay1.jpg

The Two Worlds series, Nehrim, Enderal (upcoming), Elder Scrolls series ...

Have you not played Dark Souls 3? It has amazing combat (LOT better than Gothic), atmosphere and characters development. Its has far better story than Gothic but its not handed to you. You really have to work at it to get to the story.

Have you not played Dark Souls 3? It has amazing combat (LOT better than Gothic), atmosphere and characters development. Its has far better story than Gothic but its not handed to you. You really have to work at it to get to the story.

I doubt that's what he's looking for. The DS games are good in their own way, but they're very different from Gothic. They don't offer the same degree of exploration and freedom.

I don't know if my computer can handle Dark Soul 3

Here are my specs -

Inter(R) Core (TM) i3-2370M CPU @ 2.40 ghz
Intel hd 3000 graphics card
4 gb ram
Windows 7 64 bit

I don't know if my computer can handle Dark Soul 3

Here are my specs -

Inter(R) Core (TM) i3-2370M CPU @ 2.40 ghz
Intel hd 3000 graphics card
4 gb ram
Windows 7 64 bit

You can't play Dark Souls 3 on that but I think you can play Dark Souls 1. I have not played that one yet but its very old game and everyone says it the best souls game :)

I'd recommand Risen 1. It has the best combat system pbs have designed so far imo and its very similar to gothic series in every way.

What if i add a Nvidia graphic card to my acer laptop will it then run dark soul 3?

You need min
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti / ATI Radeon HD 7950

Recommended
VIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / ATI Radeon R9 series

But they are desktop cards...

Anyway I don't know of many laptops that allow you to upgrade the graphics card since its built into the motherboard. Are you sure, that your laptop allows you to upgrade?

I think there was a way to connect your graphic card to your laptop via thunderbolt usb and then play the game but i am not sure of it.

ANd i have already played Risen 1 though 2 and 3 sucks but i am looking for a RPG game where

- NPC that really talks, instead of text only.
- Large worlds with different areas.
- A very good atmosphere
- Not only hack and slash.
- Making you feel that your really that person you play.
- different quests/tasks
- The feeling not to be on your self only
and so many more things. I hope you know what i mean.

You'll find that most RPGs are somewhat unique and difficult to find something similar to play, it's one of the traits of the genre.

To an outside observer they likely all look the same but, for anyone enthralled by one particular game, there's usually precious little that compares to it beyond basic framework. Even sequels can be vastly different.

Two Worlds and Witcher III are the closest it gets. No coincidence of all being european. But they have their own ticks, so it's no guaranteed.
Aside from that, Assassin's Creed(s) is your best shot, perhaps even better.

Kidding, kidding!

No there is nothing like the Gothic series. However, there is hope if you only played 1 and 2. Play Gothic 3 with the latest patches and yes, the Risen series is very good as well. Made by the same people.

Makes me want to load Gothic 1 back up. Look out Mudd!

You'll find the Gothic series to be quite the favourite of many posters on the 'Watch (mine included) and so you've certainly found the right place to talk about it. :)

Whilst I can't personally recommend it, Arcania (the previously unfortunately titled Gothic 4) might be worth your time if you want to find out how not to make a Gothic game. :)

I also think that the Witcher II altered its combat system from the first game to something more closely resembling a Gothic influence, which might be of interest.
This is another excellent series which should tick a few of your RPG requirements.

The total overhaul mod for The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Nehrim, is in many ways like the Gothic games. Not in combat, but more in world-building and some design choices. Very high quality, great and sort of a mixture of Elder Scrolls with Gothic.

Also, Risen 1 & 2 are similar to Gothic. Risen 1 probably more-so, but Risen 2 is still good. :)

Last edited:
Do you own the latest three Elder Scrolls games (Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim)? If so, then you should check out the this awesome total conversion series which as the creates said was "created in the vein of Gothic." In order they are Arktwend, Nehrim, and Enderal. You might have heard of the last one, as it's currently being worked on for Skyrim. Both Arktwend and Nehrim however have been released for Morrowind and Oblivion respectively, so check them out.

The problem with playing Gothic, especially if you really like it, is that it's hard to find a game that tops it. There's some that have similarities. If you're looking for something outside of the Gothic 1/2/3 and Risen series, you might want to start looking at heavily modded Elder Scroll games or total conversions to scratch your itch.

Back
Top Bottom