Kenshi - Review @NeverKnowsBest

I picked this one up based on the great reviews here but sort of bounced off it.

To start, I was disappointed by the character creation.

I scrolled the view around a bit and decided it ran well. Zoomed out and back in and liked the amount of zoom.

Wandered around town looking for things to loot and nothing nearby seemed to be interactive.

Looted a couple of dead guards corpses and got a sword.

Thought the graphics of the world, especially after playing so much MHW, looked sort of awful and not really worthy of exploring with hopes of eyecandy.

Wandered back into town to a tavern and got a quest or something and a recruit then quit out.

I went to look at a Twitch streamer and see what they were doing and his party were all mining rocks. I probably waited 3 or 4 minutes before I turned that off. Seemed very passive. Not much game going on?

So, what am I missing here? Why is this game good? Inspire me to go back to it!

Mining is a way to start to get you on your feet a bit. You can also go the way of thievery and it helps if you find the Shinobi Thieves and join them for extra stealth perks.

But the game picks up a lot after the start. Eventually you gather a squad together that can at least stay alive against the basic enemies as you explore the world one biome at a time. There are all sorts of things to find, from enemy towers to ancient ruins with loot, lost libraries, new encounters and recruits to find and more. You just have to give it some time so you can survive and grind yourself up in the beginning to afford a companion or two, which helps a lot. Eventually you can build your own outpost but that won't be for a long while, since you need the manpower to protect it. You can research new tech to help build up your squad's strength in various areas, start providing your own food, armor, weapons, whatever you like. The game is very open-ended and you can play any way you want to. I started by looting dead animals when the Hivers (a bug person faction in the game) killed them all for me, animal skins and teeth for days. Sold them to a merchant and made a killing, but beware, the land is very dangerous. It's like exploring a much huger and way more dangerous Vvardenfell from Morrowind. It's a really great game if you stick with it. Really great, GOTY 2018 for me, even over Kingmaker.

Back
Top Bottom