Al-Qadim - Remembering the Setting - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Al-Qadim - Remembering the Setting

Default Al-Qadim - Remembering the Setting

September 5th, 2017, 11:22
Nerds on earth remembers the setting of Al-Qadim.

Nerd Nostalgia: Remembering the D&D Setting of Al-Qadim

Oh, you play D&D? Son, I have twenty sided dice older than you. I also have D&D boxed sets that are so old you may not have even heard of them. I want to introduce you to one: Al-Qadim.

Al-Qadim was filled with scimitars, sultans, and sand. It was designed for nerds who were fans of The Mummy as much as they were fans of Lord of the Rings. Al-Qadim was D&D meets Sinbad, Arabian Nights, Aladdin, Lawrence of Arabia, Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, and Indiana Jones.

During the early 90s, D&D game designers were actively looking across the Earth's cultures, ethnicities, and histories for inspiration. This period brought an Oriental Adventures source book and adventures that was inspired by Asian culture and folklore, as well as the Maztica boxed set that pulled from the rich heritage of the Mayan and Aztec empires.

Then there was the high adventure of Al-Qadim. It mashed up elements from the historical Arabian Empire with that of the oft-inaccurate, but nearly always fun and entertaining Hollywood film catalog. Then slathered over that were the wonderful Arabian legends that featured genies, magicians, and ghuls.

Written by Jeff Grubb, Al-Qadim was able to chronicle a different far-off land of the Forgotten Realms, the popular setting for Dungeons and Dragons. While the traditional fantasy styling of elves and dwarves were centered around the Forgotten Realms's Sword Coast and Moonsea regions, Al-Qadim offered roleplayers an Arabian flavor by giving them an opportunity to visit the imaginary Zakhara, the Land of Fate.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

September 5th, 2017, 11:28
Ahh, that was a good read, thank you! I never P&P'd Al-Qadim but I remember the box sets and the setting well enough (mainly from Dragon articles, I guess?). I'd really like to see a new D&D CRPG that isn't based on the Sword Coast, something that shakes up the formula a bit. Fingers crossed Beamdog are working on something like that rather than another Sword Coast adventure featuring cameos from Drizzt and Elminster etc…

Pongo

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

September 5th, 2017, 11:49
I was a little interested, but then Dark Sun came along…

hairyscotsman2

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

September 5th, 2017, 12:31
For AD&D there was also a setting called Oriental Adventures, that one sadly was never translated to CRPG that I know of.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

September 5th, 2017, 14:33
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
For AD&D there was also a setting called Oriental Adventures, that one sadly was never translated to CRPG that I know of.
On a side note, my friend is playing a Wu jen in our current adventure. That is a mage from Oriental adventures. He is having a great time role playing that mage in a AD&D setting.

The author of this article is talking about early 90's adventures like he is an old timer. Son let me teach you about Greyhawk from the 70's you wet behind the ears punk
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:

September 5th, 2017, 14:41
Land of Fire, by Triple Ace Games, is an even more awsome Arabian nights type setting.
Not D&D , but Savage worlds. Easily converted if you wanted to.
I prefer Savage Worlds though.

MarcHameleers

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 5th, 2017, 14:44
Originally Posted by MarcHameleers View Post
Land of Fire, by Triple Ace Games, is an even more awsome Arabian nights type setting.
Not D&D , but Savage worlds. Easily converted if you wanted to.
I prefer Savage Worlds though.
Nice will have to look that up. Thanks for the info.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

September 5th, 2017, 21:54
I would love a CRPG set in such a locale. Make it single player, 3rd person, real time combat. No tactical, 1st person shooter, strategy, or turn-based.

Anything like that exist? ELEX looks about the closest from a desert-like environment.

Zephyr

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

September 5th, 2017, 22:00
Well… there is the old DOS game, Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse. It is single player and I think real time combat.

Korplem

Shipwreck
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

September 5th, 2017, 23:15
I'd rather have a party-based game with TB or RTwP combat. Give us an IE style game in that setting or a modern Dark Sun game.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
+1:

September 6th, 2017, 00:40
Just give us a revamped NWN and let the community have at it.
--
"You will find your death pleasant, but your fate unbearable." - Hionhurn the Executioner

KaosWarMonk

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

September 6th, 2017, 03:17
Damnit guys, D&D games have to be turn-based. It is literally in the rules.

But I would love a new Dark Sun or Al-Qadim CRPG. I guess those settings aren't even a thing in recent editions of D&D so probably slim to no chance of that happening.

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

September 8th, 2017, 22:43
At least Dark Sun had the virtue of being a novel setting, rather than just a rehash of Arabian Nights. A cRPG where Wizards are considered evil for destroying the ecosystem and climate would seem very topical.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Al-Qadim - Remembering the Setting