The Good Life - A Debt Repayment Life Simulation RPG - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Good Life - A Debt Repayment Life Simulation RPG

Default The Good Life - A Debt Repayment Life Simulation RPG

September 5th, 2017, 01:14
At Fig, you can now pledge for The Good Life, a game that is labeled as a debt repaying life simulation RPG. They are asking for 1.5 Million dollars and are at 11% at the moment.

Play as Naomi, a photographer from New York. After a scandal left her in debt, she took on a job that sent her to 'the happiest town in the world,' a rural English town out in the middle of nowhere.

Photographing evidence of the town's many secrets and sending them back to her client daily will earn her some very nice rewards…

But most of Naomi's comments start with the words "I hate," and she can't stop complaining… Will this city slicker be able to survive out in the British backwoods?

Journey to Rainy Woods… a small town in Northern England surrounded by forests. Nestled in abundant nature, stone houses built in the Middle Ages still stand beside one another. The townspeople look out for each other, love their families, work hard, and enjoy nightly drinks at the local pubs.

All townspeople operate on a 24 hour schedule. Everyone lives a different life.

Each character has a unique personality and lives out a unique life. Even though they live in a game world, they worry, suffer, have fun, love, and hate as much as any real person.

Rainy Woods has a big secret… At night, all the villagers turn into cats.

Villagers aren't the only ones who get to turn into cats. Naomi also gets to turn into a cat at night, of course!
loading…

More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
+1:

September 5th, 2017, 01:14
It sounds kinda boring.

GabrielMP_19

Vault Survivor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

September 5th, 2017, 01:16
Uh… OK, I guess.

axellslade

No Title Please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

September 5th, 2017, 05:01
That video just confused me. So an American girl from New York moves to a rural English Town and the whole video is narrated by a Japanese man and the character herself speaks Japanese. This isn't even getting into everyone becoming cats at night. Again so confused by this.

Gabriel

Watchdog
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

September 5th, 2017, 05:31
Looks great. I'll definitely play this.

Deleted User

Mentioned: Post(s)

September 5th, 2017, 06:47
Not my thing. I think it will struggle to reach its goal but you never know.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

September 5th, 2017, 06:50
They kind of lost me with the turning into cats bit, it just seems so out of flavor with the rest of the vibe of the game.

fadedc

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

September 5th, 2017, 07:09
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Not my thing. I think it will struggle to reach its goal but you never know.
I actually think it would blow up with the right press coverage. It's the kind of weird-yet-catchy thing that is very popular today.

Deleted User

Mentioned: Post(s)

September 5th, 2017, 08:53
Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
That video just confused me. So an American girl from New York moves to a rural English Town and the whole video is narrated by a Japanese man and the character herself speaks Japanese. This isn't even getting into everyone becoming cats at night. Again so confused by this.
Actually now that I know this is a Japanese game, it makes full sense to me. Us Asians in general dont like being in debt and specifically takes steps to avoid debt, This would really be an interesting game for Asians in general as an edutainment game of sorts. That said the cat thing makes it really only for the Japanese.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:

September 5th, 2017, 12:11
Cat people is supposed to be horror.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)

September 5th, 2017, 17:05
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
Actually now that I know this is a Japanese game, it makes full sense to me. Us Asians in general dont like being in debt and specifically takes steps to avoid debt, This would really be an interesting game for Asians in general as an edutainment game of sorts.
That's because debt is really stupid overall. Aside from a mortgage for a house purchase. So much better to live within your paycheck, buy things you can afford when you can afford them, and don't go into crippling debt to keep up with your view of society. Not having to flush money down the drain every month (interest payment) is amazing. You get to keep so much more of your paycheck.

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
+1:

September 6th, 2017, 20:45
RL is a debt repayment life simulation. Why would I want that in a game?

Oh, cats, right.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

September 7th, 2017, 03:44
Well maybe she can become a camgirl. Hear they're making a killing these days.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

September 7th, 2017, 06:58
1.5 Million for this?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)

September 7th, 2017, 07:58
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
1.5 Million for this?
I think they are hoping a Japanese publisher would pick it up when it fails, between the cat thing, Japanese voices, the concept and the asking price, I am convinced of it.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

September 7th, 2017, 18:47
Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
That's because debt is really stupid overall. Aside from a mortgage for a house purchase. So much better to live within your paycheck, buy things you can afford when you can afford them, and don't go into crippling debt to keep up with your view of society. Not having to flush money down the drain every month (interest payment) is amazing. You get to keep so much more of your paycheck.
Depends on things. For example, I had the chance of buying my new home cash, instead I got a mortgage. Why? The interest rates after the housing bubble burst were very low, I think I got it at like 3.9%/year (got even lower than that later), the cash I invested instead and get an average of like 10%/year plus whatever dividends the companies give.

Getting in debt only to buy stuff you don't need, at high interest rate like credit cards, yes that's the road to disaster.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

September 7th, 2017, 19:28
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
Depends on things. For example, I had the chance of buying my new home cash, instead I got a mortgage. Why? The interest rates after the housing bubble burst were very low, I think I got it at like 3.9%/year (got even lower than that later), the cash I invested instead and get an average of like 10%/year plus whatever dividends the companies give.

Getting in debt only to buy stuff you don't need, at high interest rate like credit cards, yes that's the road to disaster.
How did you manage to get that 10% per year? I mean, would you mind my asking? I invest too but 10% per year, depending on which country you're in, is pretty damn impressive!

arthureloi

Visionary Vampire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

September 7th, 2017, 21:20
He probably has something like a 401k from a company with a matching %. My company does this as well. I pay in 5% pre-tax to my 401k and my company matches that dollar for dollar. I also get "free" stock shares for just being a corporate/staff employee.

Ergo, I borrow at 3.9% and then dump 5% into my 401k. My company matches that and I make a total of 10% pre-tax with the money. It offsets the loan easily.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

September 7th, 2017, 22:05
Originally Posted by arthureloi View Post
How did you manage to get that 10% per year? I mean, would you mind my asking? I invest too but 10% per year, depending on which country you're in, is pretty damn impressive!
You just do some research, buy a stock you think is low, sell it when it's over 10% the value you bought it for and if it's 10% under what you paid for it (to protect you from stinkers). At the end of the year, unless economy is in recession, you probably get like 5 right and 2 wrong or so.
Starting with say $10,000
Right: $11,000
Right: $12,100
Wrong: $10,890
Right: $11,979
Wrong: $10,781
Right: $11,859
Right: $13,045

The important thing is not to panic, economy goes up and down so just keep it there. For example, during the deep recession of like 9 years ago, my total stock was worth like 60% the value it used to have, but I kept it there, eventually it caught up and surpassed the previous amounts.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

September 7th, 2017, 22:26
I never pulled anything out in 2008 either. I cried in the darkneas when it tanked but almost everything has recovered or surpassed. The only people that really lost were the ones that panicked and sold at the bottom.
Last edited by Wisdom; September 7th, 2017 at 23:26. Reason: Phone spelling

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Good Life - A Debt Repayment Life Simulation RPG