What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 261 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

May 22nd, 2020, 20:25
Haven't really watched much since the move, and movie theaters are still closed.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

May 23rd, 2020, 21:45
I enjoyed 1917. I'd say it's slightly overrated, but only slightly. I think it had many excellent elements that didn't quite become more than the sum of their parts. Great cinematography.

For some reason, it made me think about the Alien films. It's a series I always want more of, but at the same time I think it's difficult now we've been on the ghost train. I wondered if taking the same approach - following a hapless hero through an unbroken realtime shot - could be a really effective new approach for a proper Alien movie.
--
"And if I laugh at any mortal thing, 'tis that I may not weep."

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)

May 23rd, 2020, 22:33
Alien movies are sci-fi without forced nonexisting political correctness during WW1.
If there is something that 1917 should remind you on that's Hellsing Ultimate. Another overrated style over substance whatnot.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)

May 29th, 2020, 22:59
Another bit of low-budget sci-fi that I enjoyed.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_vast_of_night
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

May 29th, 2020, 23:09
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I enjoyed 1917. I'd say it's slightly overrated, but only slightly. I think it had many excellent elements that didn't quite become more than the sum of their parts. Great cinematography.

For some reason, it made me think about the Alien films. It's a series I always want more of, but at the same time I think it's difficult now we've been on the ghost train. I wondered if taking the same approach - following a hapless hero through an unbroken realtime shot - could be a really effective new approach for a proper Alien movie.
So you want a similar movie as the first Predator with Arnold then?

It's basically the same idea but not as fast paced as 1917.
Dutch (Arnold Schwarzenegger), a soldier of fortune, is hired by the U.S. government to secretly rescue a group of politicians trapped in Guatemala. But when Dutch and his team, which includes weapons expert Blain (Jesse Ventura) and CIA agent George (Carl Weathers), land in Central America, something is gravely wrong. After finding a string of dead bodies, the crew discovers they are being hunted by a brutal creature with superhuman strength and the ability to disappear into its surroundings.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

May 29th, 2020, 23:19
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post

Yeah, I'm very much in the camp that thinks it's not all about nostalgia - I'd say that some of those films of that era really nailed it, and were just really good examples of their kind.

I kind of think that certain genres thrived in certain decades, and the 80s/early 90s were the era of the action-adventure movie.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

May 29th, 2020, 23:19
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post

I'm quite sure Ripper has seen one of the most epic films humankind has ever produced.

loading…

ps. just watching this clip almost forced me to grab predator dvd from the shelf. It is that good.

Dez

Man with the hat
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

May 29th, 2020, 23:34
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I'm quite sure Ripper has seen one of the most epic films humankind has ever produced.

loading…

ps. just watching this clip almost forced me to grab predator dvd from the shelf. It is that good.
Lol. We went through a phase of greeting each other with, "Dillon! You son of a bitch!"

And also, for some reason, this phrase from Robocop, : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ4OvwPxBZ0
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

May 29th, 2020, 23:42
To bad Predator 2 was not that great. Even Danny Glover whom I love from Lethal weapon could save that movie. Seems the franchise has lost it way over the years.
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I kind of think that certain genres thrived in certain decades, and the 80s/early 90s were the era of the action-adventure movie.
Definitely agree Ripper as that era brought a lot of good cheesy action movies. Unfortunately they don't sell as well as they used to, and are VOD releases.

Whats terrible is nowadays there aren't many replacements for those aging action stars. Thank heavens for the Rock and Jason Statham at least they keep the genre alive.
--
Last edited by Couchpotato; May 30th, 2020 at 09:04.

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

June 2nd, 2020, 16:18
Mr Robot is one of the best series ever.

I concur that the 4th season is the best one. It's full of nail-biting tension and heart-breaking drama. Payoff after payoff, after 3 seasons of build-up. Stellar acting from everyone and truly visionary direction and writing. Sam Esmail did all the episodes. Nobody has ever done anything like the season 4 of Mr. Robot.

Also the ending has so much intellectual and emotional weight that I had tears of sadness and joy in my eyes.

Many people struggle particularly with the first half of Season 2. If you manage to end Season 2, it will be a great trip from then on. At that point the show starts running with full steam, with ever-increasing personal and worldwide stakes.

This is not to say that you have to suffer through 2 seasons of boredom to get to the good stuff. I liked the show from episode 1. But it's a more uneven ride until then, with occasional frustration to how things are progressing. Personally I skipped the sitcom episode from S2 entirely as I found it so annoying (Many people adore it). But that kind of self-aware weirdness never gets so bad after S2.
Last edited by tuukka; June 2nd, 2020 at 16:28.

tuukka

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 2nd, 2020, 20:25
I very much liked season 2. Not sure why some keep saying it's a low point for the series. I've still got S3 and S4 to go through. The only thing I remember not being particularly fond of is the end of S2.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

June 2nd, 2020, 20:38
I don't actually remember what happened at the end, but I don't think it will matter as you continue with S3.

I liked S2 a lot and there are great episodes, but I think some people get frustrated as the main storyline doesn't move forward much in some episodes. It's more about Elliot's internal life, than external conflict that would progress the story. It's been a while since I watched S2, thought. But I know that's where many people give up.

tuukka

Watchdog

June 2nd, 2020, 20:46
Originally Posted by tuukka View Post
I don't actually remember what happened at the end, but I don't think it will matter as you continue with S3.

I liked S2 a lot and there are great episodes, but I think some people get frustrated as the main storyline doesn't move forward much in some episodes. It's more about Elliot's internal life, than external conflict that would progress the story. It's been a while since I watched S2, thought. But I know that's where many people give up.
Yeah, S2 is mostly the internal struggles of Elliot. But I personally found that refreshing. I like that sort of character exploration.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

June 2nd, 2020, 21:26
Originally Posted by tuukka View Post
Mr Robot is one of the best series ever.
Just a note - this is the FILM thread. There is a ‘TV Series’ discussion thread as well, you might want to discuss it there.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

June 3rd, 2020, 16:45
Mr. Robot was discussed on the previous page a lot, which is why I continued.

tuukka

Watchdog

June 5th, 2020, 00:03
An awful lot of mediocre fair, mostly bearable but nothing much to write home about:

Mr Sloane (1970) 3/5, a real curiosity though, would suit someone wanting to see a plot-line they'd never seen before, even if produced somewhat underwhelmingly.

BlacKkKlansman (2018), Spike Lee making a film about black people again, but with a bit more universal appeal than has been his routine of late. Much fun was had but a bit too heavy-handed in places to motivate me to rave about it. 3.75/5

The Life of David Gale (2002), a very boring crime thriller that I realised half-way through I'd seen before, probably in the cinema in 2002. Has some additional relevance today due to it starring Kevin Spacy as a man wrongfully (?) charged with a sex crime. 3/5

The Killing Fields (1984) was a lot more boring and messy than I remembered it being. The biggest crime of this movie is that the lead isn't the lead, the lead is a lesser known Asian actor who gets lesser billing just because he's foreign. A classic example of 'well meaning racism brought about by a desire to maximise attendances'. 3/5

Malcom X (1992) I agree with the general consensus that it's quite an overly and unduly long and fairly boring movie elevated solely by the superb acting, most notably the future legend Denzel Washington, and the obviously sincere nature of the content. 3/5

The Town (2010) a thoroughly forgotten, and rightly so, extremely average Ben Affleck crime drama that doesn't know if it want's to be a romance film or a deep crime drama. 3/5

9th Company (2005) is an ok I suppose war movie about Russians in Afghanistan. Too much 'hard bro man bro' bollocks drags it down from the many decent scenes and it felt very much like a huge wasted potential upon conclusion. Ok ride though. 3/5

The Bridge at Remagen (1969) is an ok American WWII movie. As a fan of Robert Vaughn I was suitably rewarded with lots of Vaughn. The leads are ok as well. Fairly routine stuff, the best bits are the action scenes though, which is always telling. 3/5

The Smallest Show on Earth (1957) is a super-twee English comedy about a couple who inherit a flea-pit cinema and have to pretend to run it in order to coax the multiplex rival into buying them out so they can at least get some cash. Some great moments but, again, squanders a lot of it's potential in a sea of 'where's the punchline' type misses. Notable mostly for it's early Peter Sellers film appearance, he's not even top billing yet. 3/5

Inside Llewyn Davis (2014) is a forgotten Coen Brothers movie, and rightly so mostly. It has it good moments and it's an ok ride with great performances but, again, just fails to really pack any punches of any kind (pun here is relevant to anyone who's seen it). 3/5

High Society (1956) Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly and Frank Sinatra… and yet still mostly boring, even with a sterling appearance of Louis Armstrong. In modern parlance, this was a remake of a movie no-one asked for even at the time. I like Bing Crosby and Louis Armstrong though, so I had at least something to enjoy. 3/5

Maybe my next pile of random movies will elicit a stronger cache of hidden gems.

lackblogger

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

June 15th, 2020, 07:41
Recently saw The Lodge, a quasi-suspense drama. Not since Testament (the 80's film documenting the slow death of a family following nuclear holocaust) have I felt such a sense of oppression while watching a movie.

Objectively, as a film, I would rate it a 6/10. But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone - it is just not enjoyable to watch.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

June 15th, 2020, 11:48
Not enjoyable?
I'm still waiting for everyone's Artemis Fowl impressions. That's a prime example of not enjoyable in my case. And I thought Disney can't go any lower.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)

June 15th, 2020, 21:43
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Recently saw The Lodge, a quasi-suspense drama. Not since Testament (the 80's film documenting the slow death of a family following nuclear holocaust) have I felt such a sense of oppression while watching a movie.

Objectively, as a film, I would rate it a 6/10. But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone - it is just not enjoyable to watch.
(Un)fortunately, that sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the rec.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

June 15th, 2020, 22:37
Watched Fargo again (the movie). Had to search online to find out the purpose of Mike Yanagita sidestory, attention to details…

kazga

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread