CD Projekt RED - Hit by Cyber Attack

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Kotaku reports that CD Project Red has been hacked:

CD Projekt Red Hit By Cyber Attack, Source Code For Cyberpunk 2077 And Witcher 3 Held For Ransom

CD Projekt Red is the latest game company to be hit by a cyber attack. The company released a statement on Twitter this morning saying an "unidentified actor" has hacked some of its systems, and included a screenshot of the ransom note. Accessed data includes source code for some of the studio's games, alongside internal company data. The company writes that it will not negotiate with the hacker.

"Yesterday," the CD Projekt statement begins, "we discovered that we have become a victim of a targeted cyber attack, due to which some of our internal systems have been compromised." The hacker's note threatens to release source code for Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3 (including an unreleased version), and Gwent, as well as release company documents "relating to accounting, administration, legal, HR, investor relations, and more." The hacker's note gives CD Projekt Red 48 hours to "come to an agreement," after which the hacker threatens to leak or sell the source code and information.

[...]
Thanks Capt. Huggy Face!

More information.

CDProjekt are really having a bad time. I hope they recover, they still make great games, even if CP2077 could have been better.

Sad. Is it really so easy to hack these days that some "EPICAL pwners" manage to do it? I would imagine that game companies would be pretty up-to-date with their cyber security...

Interesting... there's an unreleased version of TW3?

Why would you keep the source code on a system connected to a network? I would have thought something like that would be kept more isolated.

Interesting… there's an unreleased version of TW3?

Why would you keep the source code on a system connected to a network? I would have thought something like that would be kept more isolated.

I wondered that too until I realized that I look at the source code of my old unpublished projects all the time. There are things you remember you once did but can't quite remember how...

Perhaps even more reason then. People are working from home due to Covid and need to access the files they are working on....

Interesting… there's an unreleased version of TW3?

Most people are working remotely and need an access. Separating the source and build system from the outside world is a terrible inconvenience, not only it forces the devs to work in the building, but it means that anyone who needs an external access - typically the support, cannot be directly connected to the devs either, even internally, they need a 2nd computer to do so, and pass any message through disks...

Try also to tell the devs they can't browse the Internet... they'll quickly find another employer.

Some companies used to do that (I've had one as client, it was a nightmare!), but I'd be curious to see how many still do nowadays.

Usually it's done through a VPN, which should be strong enough, but sometimes cracks appear (weak user passwords, ...).

The biggest security threat of a network are the people using it. Even if you have a very secure network, resistant of any attack possible, it still requires users to access it. It is much easier to try to find a weakness there by means of phishing or whatever other means possible and use their account info to access the company network.

Some emo CP2077 haters organized this most likely.
Hahahaha!

Is no one going to point out the irony of the biggest cyberpunk game on the market having its software held for ransom? This is the most cyberpunk crime we have!

So basically they run a LARP in the Cyberpunk 2020 setting and they play the role of evil megacorp being hacked by some netrunners. What's the deal? ;)

Sad. Is it really so easy to hack these days that some "EPICAL pwners" manage to do it?

Anyone can buy ransomware scripts off the Web, if you have enough money. Not sure what they cost, but they've been available for a long time now. No skills needed.

Someone was bored and created their own side quest? Man, I remember these types of attacks used to happen often back in the hay-days of Everquest, you try having an online game down for several hours/days and you'll really see people get riled up. I always kept a book handy, just for instances of some basement dwelling simpleton uncorking their angst against a poor, defenseless game.

Totally not a disgruntled former employee kicking ass..
‘Cyberpunk 2077’ Creative Director Leaves CD Projekt Red to Join Blizzard
Of their games I only played Witcher 1: Enhanced Edition until ~45%. :) Recently tried Witcher 3 and it was.. nah! They did NOT manage to create games that I really enjoyed, although W1 humor was okay and the sexy NPC girls there were okay.
I think from this franchise the most successful entertainment piece was clearly the super-amazing, surprisingly bombastically well done TV series:
The Witcher
I still remember Henry Cavill dragging the large, ugly disgusting monster on his fav horse's Roache's back into the village and nobody wants to buy the bloody thing. Then how Yennefer drags the poor knight "For Queen and Country!" with her. Hahaha!! Masterful product!! Hats off! :worship:
I only respect and thus enjoy artistic creations that were made with way higher skill level than mine!

Last edited:
I agree the TV series was surprisingly good at some places. Hopefully they can keep the quality in the 2nd season.

Back
Top Bottom