Battle for Wesnoth - 1.16 Release

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new version (1.16) of Battle for Wesnoth has been released.

October 2021. The development team is proud to present version 1.16 of The Battle for Wesnoth!

This release features a variety of improvements to many areas of the game including many improved campaigns, a fully re-balanced Dunefolk faction, new portraits and units, upgrades to the AI, a variety of new features for add-on authors, many many bugs fixed, and much more besides. Try the new features for yourself, or take a look below for more details.

For Players

Players will be automatically upgraded to a new stable series for the first time since Wesnoth was released due to our use of more modern distribution platforms such as Steam, itch.io, Flathub, and others. To support this, an option will be shown the first time 1.16.0 is started after being upgraded from 1.14.17. This will provide the option to migrate settings as well as download the 1.16 version of any add-ons that are installed, if they have been updated to work with 1.16. To go along with that, Wesnoth is now able to select save files from previous versions from within the game itself.

Addressing a long-standing pain point, especially for players with low download speeds and/or data limits, updating add-ons will no longer result in the entire add-on being re-downloaded -- instead only the files that have actually changed will be downloaded, which will significantly reduce both the time it takes to update add-ons as well as how much data is used when updating. Additionally, any version of an add-on that has been recently uploaded by the author can be selected for download, thus allowing for downgrading an add-on if needed for any reason.

Many aspects of the AI have seen improvements as well, with much of the experimental AI having been merged into the default AI. This allows it to better handle healers, poison, retreating, and other behaviour.

Finally, the entire Dunefolk faction has been reworked and re-balanced, including a re-imagining of the unit lines, new unit descriptions and sprites, and reworking of the liminal alignment. They should now be much closer to the factions in the Default era in terms of overall strength as well as be more interesting to play.

[...]
More information.

Wow
This game is stl being updated?

I played this game in 2008.

Loads of fun and I heartily recommend the game.

Same with me, played more than decade ago and had fun. :)
Although I do not know when I will find time to play this new version.

I had no idea anyone was still working on this.

OMG ? This game still exists ?

Great, I have fond memories of it ! :)

Ahhh yes, this is a fond game of mine, one that I've not replayed in some time. Nice to see that it's still getting updates, take my word on it, this game is worthy and well worth playing.

Wesnoth has been a great game for ages with a huge amount of content - and is so much better than overhyped games like Wargroove. It kind of cracks me up when people are paying for and debating inferior games while Wesnoth is sitting there free all along.

I was actually revisting Wesnoth some myself recently for this very reason - I'm like, why am I screwing with some weak FF tactics wannabe of the moment when Wesnoth is better than all these feeble attempts.

I really enjoyed it, but it is such a time sink!! I don't have the time for that these days!

Yeah, and like, the great Fire Emblem offerings. It's really good, simply give it a shot and find out for yourself, you'll be astonished at how much fun you'll have.

A great game indeed and runs on Linux too. I found it on Ubuntu Software Center over 10 years ago. Enjoyed the elf campaign (Heir to the Throne?) a lot despite it being full of clichés.

If you have not played it and enjoy a board game strategy with RPG elements, give it a go. It will cost you only time.

Honestly I never heard of this game, but it looks like something I would enjoy.

So thanks for posting this news-bit.:thumbsup:

What happened to your avatar?

How will I tell its you?

I thought you were someone new.
It's to mock JDR and a few other members. As they claim all I do is shit-post on threads and ruin the thread for them. Anyway it's just a giant potato head glaring at you.:lol:

Hm, as between this (free) and Dark Deity (not) could anyone recommend one or the other? I'm leaning towards Wesnoth.

Hm, as between this (free) and Dark Deity (not) could anyone recommend one or the other? I'm leaning towards Wesnoth.

Well, you've got nothing to lose by trying Wesnoth first. I don't know anything about Dark Deity, but Wesnoth is fun if a bit simplistic. At least that's my impression from the first mission.

I have not tried Dark Deity but they do seem like different kinds of games. Wesnoth is a Warhammer (etc. tabletop/physical) inspired strategy game. You move your units, make more of them, attack enemies, gather XP to level your units, and in the campaigns finally reach the objective. Then there is a new level with different objectives. Usually, some of your units are carried over to the next one meaning that you can keep on leveling them. The campaigns have a story and a few choices you can make. I think the outcomes based on your choices are relatively limited.

It's a no-brainer, really. Try Wesnoth since it's free. If you do not like it, uninstall and try the other one.

Back
Top Bottom