Bethesda Softworks - Allege Stolen Code

Ok, sounds like a pretty weird premise for a video game to me, but I suppose it might appeal to someone. I was hoping it was something like Fallout Tactics, which is a gem that I initially missed out on when it first came out, only to find it later in between mmo's and loving it.

Stolen code, shared bugs. Maybe they just wanted an authentic Westworld experience for it's users? I'll see myself out.

If they are indeed going after WB as well as the developer, I hope WB makes the schmucks at Zenimax reconsider their idiotic litigation over everything under the sun. Up until now, they've had free rein as the big morons on the block with deep pockets.

edit: that sounded harsh, but I'm obviously no fan of corporate lawyers with multi-million dollar slush funds.

Last edited:
Considering previous behaviour, nomatter how morally questionable, I'd wager that Zenimax lawyers quite know what they are doing and would probably be in the right.

The timing is a bit curious - Warner had a change of overlords with I'm assuming, quite deep pockets.

Well if they knowingly stole the code directly or indirectly they deserve to be prosecuted.
-
The only time I would say something like what you said is if the code base has only 10 lines of similar code and 200K of unsimilar lines and they are found guilty (which has happened in the past).

If they are indeed going after WB as well as the developer, I hope WB makes the schmucks at Zenimax reconsider their idiotic litigation over everything under the sun. Up until now, they've had free rein as the big morons on the block with deep pockets.

edit: that sounded harsh, but I'm obviously no fan of corporate lawyers with multi-million dollar slush funds.

Well if they knowingly stole the code directly or indirectly they deserve to be prosecuted.
-
The only time I would say something like what you said is if the code base has only 10 lines of similar code and 200K of unsimilar lines and they are found guilty (which has happened in the past).

I was arguing in the other thread what @flabbyjack; was saying that this goes on all the time. And its the old argument of what is copyright, the code or the look and feel.

@Polyster was arguing against "look and feel" citing a case, and although Apple and Lotus and held up their competitors for decades litigating on it, they eventually lost their respective cases. In the case of Lotus, they stole their Look and Feel from Visicalc in the first place. However, I dare anyone publish a game with Mickey Mouse's face on it or Coca Cola and see how far they get.

As for code, what it really comes down to, is how are they going to prove it. For one, the course would force the developer to provide the source code and they would need experts to compare.

OK, so they've got some common library code that they wrote themselves - possibly even before working with Zenimax? Yeah, that makes it more complex.

It all depends on the contract. If it says all the code for the game belongs to Zenimax then they're screwed. They wouldn't even be able to use things like public domain code to zip/unzip files under something like that, though, so I hope that isn't what it says.

One thing is for sure: you HAVE to read the contracts in detail! And by 'you' I mean a well paid contract lawyer that knows your business.

Being so litigious, will anyone else want to contract to them again?

Can.
Can I also pay2win?
If you want to but I have not played this game yet. :p

Anyway just look at both games for a comparison to see Westworld is a copy/clone.

I'm not actually arguing that the two games in question (probably, haven't played them) look and feel the same.

I'm saying there must be more to the lawsuit than that. Or at least Bethsoft/Zenimax think so, particularly since someone mentioned they poached the most of the team behind Fallout Shelter to a new studio and work for them? Even more so if they fixed those bugs the lawsuit is over after said move.

Couple of years ago there was quite a bit of cases on the matter and the general outcome was that look and feel are not subject to copyright, as far as I remember. If that was enough to merit a lawsuit, US courts would be doing nothing else altogether, given the number of clone games on the storefronts.

Don't count on it. These are the same idiots that went after Notch for a card game named Scrolls, as well as the Shadow of the Collossus spiritual successor, Prey for the Gods.

And they are the same guys that won against Occulus Rift and got awarded half a billion, nomatter how questionable I find the whole ordeal. At the very least, Zenimax seem to have quite capable lawyers.

Besides, those two were trademark disputes - and as far as I understand it, being no lawyer and all that, they kinda have to file those kind of lawsuits, or potentially risk losing their own trademarks, even if it seems frivolous from the side.

Back
Top Bottom