Morrowind - Steam Sale

Unfortunately, this version does not come with the Construction set and it's not downloadable from Beth so unless you already have a CD version, it's not as good a deal as it could be. I really can't imagine playing Morrowind with having the ability to tweak it.

And what tweaks haven't already been done and uploaded somewhere?

I need to store that trailer somewhere. The music is SO good!

Anyone know if they ever tweaked the PC animations, even if it was only the walking or running, it makes me cringe?

Even if we consider it was made in 2002 (iirc), so many others had done better PB for example with Gothic 2000, much much much better. :)

Don't think so. Models were improved, but not animations as far as I know. I think the Elder Scrolls were really first person to start with and Bethesda only started to get the hang of third person with Oblivion. Piranha Bytes still haven't got the hang of first person.

Even if we consider it was made in 2002 (iirc), so many others had done better PB for example with Gothic 2000, much much much better. :)

Gothic was also about 1/10 the size of Morrowind. :)

I agree though, animation wasn't Morrowind's strong point, but the graphics were incredible for the time, and it was an explorer's dream.

I grabbed this for ease of access - $5 to re-buy games and not use a CD is an easy choice for me!

Thanks Alistair wasn't sure, last time I tried to play it in early 2009, I couldn't find anything. Max Payne solved the 3rd aiming for ranged action run and gun, then Gothic solved 3rd melee both many years ago.It's pretty hard to go back to First Person unless you need to see your feet.

True. :)

Iirc technically Gothic 2 was released by 2002 in Germany and 6 months later if you got the UK version 2003. :)

Damn, now I am having flash backs, even jumping the thud sound that plays, maybe I will hunt that sound down and replace it with a blank sound file, then I will only have to cringe at the animations of my toon. :p

There have been several animation replacers released for Morrowind and recently a new walking and running animation replacer has been released which you can find pretty easilty on bethsoft's Morrowind mod forums.

I am just going to get back into Morrowind because of all of the graphics enhancing being done with MGE and model and texture replacers. (also one of the German total conversions was fairly recently released in English)

JDR13, oh I was just pointing out that PB had done better animations 2 years before, since I was frustrated with the poor animations in Morrowwind. A game I got, like many others the day it came out, had lots of fun, yet going back to it was hard since the animations suck. ;)

Thanks very much guenthar! :party:

I just didn't think the animations were *that* bad, it's just not Morrowind's strong point. It didn't bother me because there were other areas where it outshined games like Gothic. MW's strength lies in it's visuals, which were head and shoulders above anything else at the time, and it's size and explorability, which were also unmatched in a 3D game. It's background lore, and the amount of in-game reading material, some of which was quite good, was also impressive.

Animations weren't THAT bad - sure, a bit stiff but not really an issue, even today. Facial models were the big problem and they were fixed by mods.

That game is still impressive, even today. Much more than Oblivion which makes a good initial impression and then you realize how generic and characterless everything looks.

And for $5 this is a RIDICULOUS amount of gaming. Hell, for $20 I'd still consider this a steal. Main game is huge enough, but add in both expansion packs and it's truly epic.

Last edited:
You may want to try this if you do plan on playing morrowind with a decent new machine…

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5535

I would stay away from this. I think the fog and limited view gives the game part of its atmosphere. Not that you want to see fog five feet in front of you but you can use Morrowind FPS Optimizer instead to set the view distance far but not maxed.

I think the fog in the distance AND the actual built-in limit put on the view distance is there for a reason: the slow movement speed in Morrowind make the island seem large but with the Graphics Extender you can actually see all the way across the world and it just makes it seem much, MUCH smaller and all the towns too close together. It's jarring. I took it off immediately.

Main game is huge enough, but add in both expansion packs and it's truly epic.

That's an understatement. I logged well over 100 hours in Morrowind, and never even set foot in Mournhold or Solstheim before I got burned out!

I made the mistake of having my usual completist attitude when playing MW. I tried to join every guild, do every quest, and explore every inch of the map. It was just too much in the end.

I'm looking forward to replaying it someday, but I'm definitely going to try to be more focused next time.

I agree though, animation wasn't Morrowind's strong point, but the graphics were incredible for the time, and it was an explorer's dream.
That it was, to be sure. Long before I progressed the main story, I made a life as a pearl diver/ocean explorer spending many many hours exploring the oceans and waterways. I ended up making a spell that healed slowly over time and boosted some other stat so that I could swim, dive, and treasure hunt for hours on end without issue. Much Dreugh wax was collected :)

I found the main quest to be quite boring but I adore the game for the many hours of unadulterated exploration that it gave me.

Back
Top Bottom