Dark Souls II - Interviews @ EDGE

Offline only, hey? Just buy it already! :p
If you're insinuating that I haven't bought the game, then I'm offended. I always buy my games.

The unique multiplayer aspects are a huge part of what makes the game so special. The covenants are all about the multiplayer with each adding its own flavour to the mix.
I understand what the developers are trying to do with multiplayer, and it's very interesting, just not to me. Basically they make the game harder and less accessible in order to encourage players to "cheat" by helping each other out. Which is kind of nice.

When you say "no interest in multiplayer" what specifically do you have no interest in? What situations do you want to avoid? I propose that as you're being social on this forum right now, surely there are circumstances where you'd enjoy being social in a game too?
It's about the pace at which I prefer to play. The fact that I'm older and can't cope as well with fast gameplay is only part of it. "Let's move on" is what I really want to avoid. I always find having other people in my game at least somewhat stressful. What I enjoy most is exploration and immersion. Being there. Social aspects breaks immersion time and again. I play games like I read books.

It's a tricky game to balance, really.

Every encounter has to be winnable Singleplayer and offline mode. So, lets the the enemies are all 100% of their efficacy at this point. You summon another player and they're down to 50%. But you can summon TWO people bringing them down around 33%! But its not like the enemy can target and engage 3 players at once, either. The player the enemy is attacking can just block while the others are free to lay in the hits. So the challenge with 3 players is more like 10% of what It originally was. Easy enough?

So, how do you balance this to actually keep the game hard? Do you scale the enemies stats up based on the players in the world? Spawn more enemies based on players in the world? No, neither of these are happening. Changing the AI to accommodate the extra players is the best option I can think of, but I don't think this is happening, either. The monsters will just get their asses kicked by the three of you. All we know at the moment is FromSoftware is messing around with the summoned players being unsummoned after killing a certain amount so they cant carry you all the way, but its all still undecided.

If you take all this into consideration then its obvious you'd never need an "easy" mode because you can just summon people to carry you though the whole game. If you'd never worked this out then it wasn't the combat difficulty that was the problem - it's just that you didn't understand the underlying game mechanics applicable to your success. Making the enemies hit for 1/4 damage wouldn't help you learn to summon people any faster. It's a suggestion only someone who doesn't understand the game would make.

FURTHERMORE, having an "easy" mode would separate players into two groups who couldn't interact with each other, which would make finding people to summon in order to make the fights more easy a harder task. All the "easy" mode noobs would be stuck with only each other to summon when they could have just summoned a pro who'd remove the challenge entirely. I reckon I could win dark souls without ever killing a boss myself just through summoning players!

Okay, hold it there. Save the presumptuous lecturing to someone who's actually complaining. I really don't see how my comment could be interpreted that way, but to make it clear, I'm not complaining, and I'm not the least interested in an easy mode. Merely attempting to contribute something to all the chatter about the difficulty level and the above (ever returning) mention of an easy mode.

Okay, hold it there. Save the presumptuous lecturing to someone who's actually complaining. I really don't see how my comment could be interpreted that way, but to make it clear, I'm not complaining, and I'm not the least interested in an easy mode. Merely attempting to contribute something to all the chatter about the difficulty level and the above (ever returning) mention of an easy mode.

presumptuous lecturing lol

I'm not attacking you; I'm agreeing and adding to what you've said. Launching into a general balance discussion, explaining why easy mode already exists due to optional game mechanics.

What did you think I was saying?

Just as a heads up to players after a silly mistake I made earlier today:

I changed my GWFL gamertag and after quitting and reloading, found that I couldn't get access to any of my saves. I'd also installed Dscfix to help make co-op summonings a little smoother for a friend and I. (That worked well incidentally, but I digress...)

Anyway, after some worrying and then some research, I found that the solution was to simply copy the savegame from the old gamertag to the new tag directory. No big deal really, but perhaps someone else may encounter the problem and want a fix like I did. :)

Also, if you're using Dsfix, always ensure that you've got back up auto enabled within the ini file. Twould definitely save the hassle and potential panic of any worst case scenarios. :)

presumptuous lecturing lol

I'm not attacking you; I'm agreeing and adding to what you've said. Launching into a general balance discussion, explaining why easy mode already exists due to optional game mechanics.

What did you think I was saying?

Oh, is that so. Well, never mind then! I see your point. Would love to pitch in, but I don't have the time now and I'm going to a place with no Internet tomorrow, so will have to save it for another time.

Back
Top Bottom