DA2 Dragon Age 2 = God of War

Dragon Age 2
but a lot of you started lighting torches and fetched the rope when the Marilyn Manson trailer for DA:O came out

They should have named that trailer "This Is THe NEw Blood" that "THis Is THe NEw Shit". ;)

But - oh, wait, "New Blood" is already used by Peter Gabriel for one of his concert series ... ;)

And it also would sound too much like "New Moon" ... :lol:

Although ... SO MUCH blood like in DRagon Age ... It would easily fit into an Vampire game ... ;)

"Testbed : Vampire Age. Play the most powerful and passionate Vampyre that has ever roamed Ferelden !"

While the video looks absolutly awful what we see is actually a visual presentation of an exaggerated story conserning the main protagonist's prowess told by a third party.
Not that i would put it past Ea's Bioware to completly butcher the game by going the god of war route but there is still a possibility that Da2 plays more or less like its predesessor.

@fatbastard

They chose to market their game, and as such they chose to get a response.

That's what they're getting, and when I see something potentially great - being very obviously changed in a way that I think is looking horrible, I tend to react like this.

I could, of course, pretend that I had no experience with the industry and that I had no opinions about what will be a good change and what will be a bad change, but I leave that to those who prefer to hope against hope.

Part of this site is speaking about games that have yet to be released. Some talk will be positive and some will be negative. It's all part of the concept of sharing thoughts about our interests. If you can't handle people speaking badly about what they see, before a game is actually released, I suggest you simply don't read threads about upcoming games - because 9 out of 10 will have someone with negative things to say. Trying to change that, is like telling people they shouldn't be afraid of standing in the middle of the freeway - because they can't actually know they'll get hit.

Also, the Dragon Age marketing campaign was abysmal in my opinion - and I said so when I witnessed it back then. I also thought it meant the game wouldn't be what I hoped for - and it wasn't. That said, it wasn't a bad game - and I was pleasantly surprised. Here, I'm seeing actual gameplay that is nothing like what came before - and coupled with Bioware statements about what changes they're going for, I feel reasonably informed to speak about what it LOOKS like.

There…

While the video looks absolutly awful what we see is actually a visual presentation of an exaggerated story conserning the main protagonist's prowess told by a third party.
Not that i would put it past Ea's Bioware to completly butcher the game by going the god of war route but there is still a possibility that Da2 plays more or less like its predesessor.

God of War was obviously an exaggeration ;)

Still, it LOOKS pretty much like that based on that video.

I'm thinking it will be something between Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age. But I've already lost all interest in the game, since I've hated everything they've been telling me about it.

Basically, I can ONLY be pleasantly surprised - and my personal estimate without being emotional is that it'll be an OK CRPG, it just won't be a step forward from Dragon Age. I think Dragon Age was a big step back from NWN/BG2 - so it's just a further reduction of the kind of depth/complexity that I personally prefer.

I think, though, that it will be an even bigger hit than Dragon Age. I think this is a marketing driven project - and I think they're coming out with it this soon, so they don't have to invest too much. Basically, a factory product with little or no passion involved - based on the Bioware blueprint we all know so well. They're good at it, and there's no way they'll release a downright BAD game. So, it'll sell like hotcakes - because a mediocre/"good" game dressed in fancy production values is exactly what generates the most revenue.

I wouldn't be too quick to praise NWN actually as it was only HotU and MotB that made it shine. The main campaign in NWN1 and NWN2 had the mechanics, but the campaigns wasn't that great. I sooner praise BG2.

I wouldn't be too quick to praise NWN actually as it was only HotU and MotB that made it shine. The main campaign in NWN1 and NWN2 had the mechanics, but the campaigns wasn't that great. I sooner praise BG2.

Seeing as how I played the hell out of NWN in multiplayer and had the greatest time, I don't really see why I shouldn't praise it ;)

The original campaign was boring and crappy - but the undertaking of the game was immense. I was hugely impressed.

Especially with certain user-created mods, like "Lord of Terror" - which is the best way to experience Diablo. It's basically Diablo in every sense of the word, except with the fantastic D&D character/combat system on top.

NWN is the closest thing to real PnP, that I've experienced on my computer. I think it was a great goal to aim for, and I think it's tremendously sad that they went in the opposite direction for the future. Especially considering the community that was built around NWN1.

NWN2 all but ruined that community, with Obsidian's incompetent handling of the mod-building aspect.

DA:O is just a watered down Baldur's Gate 2 with a good story. DA2 looks to be even more watered down, and the story looks more like a Hollywood blockbuster than something interesting - to me.

I'm perfectly happy with the Bioware move towards cinematic interactive story type gameplay myself, not watched this trailer but given how rubbish the last one was I'm just going to ignore their marketing department and wait for the games themselves.

I'm perfectly happy with the Bioware move towards cinematic interactive story type gameplay myself, not watched this trailer but given how rubbish the last one was I'm just going to ignore their marketing department and wait for the games themselves.

This was actually in-game footage, though.

Yes, that's true.

But - the rest of the story after that part was being told by a third party, as you put it, was playable to some extend at the Games Com, too.

And this was supposed to be the "real" story.

I don't remember the weapons anymore, but there was lots of fighting againt the "horde" again. In a similar fashion. Along some … I tend to call it a ravine. There was a lot of blood involved. But - I thought blood was *always* involved in Dragon Age. (I turned it off, of course, when I was starting playing Dragon Age rcently.

The whole world seemed - the camera allowed a small glimpse of it - like a scorched earth for several miles around the protagonist. Yet he and his famil tried to reach a certain town or so.

At that point I had no idea - no way to compare it to the actual Dragon ge of now. But apart from it being combat-focused, I found not much of a difference.

The difference could come much later, maybe. Remember, that in the very end of the trailer the protgonist has a hand or/and an arm that looked scaled - and he was meddling with fire, too. I wouldn't be surprised if this game turned out like some sort of "Ego Draconis" clone.

If this demo is not meant to represent the game, why in gods name make the demo then?

I am sorry if I usually do not count mods or multiplayer when rating games. In that regard you won't hear me celebrate Oblivion anytime soon despite Nehrim, and you won't hear me celebrate Borderlands without specifically pointing out multiplayer.

I am sorry if I usually do not count mods or multiplayer when rating games. In that regard you won't hear me celebrate Oblivion anytime soon despite Nehrim, and you won't hear me celebrate Borderlands without specifically pointing out multiplayer.

Why be sorry?

We all value different games for different reasons.

NWN was designed from the ground-up to be a multiplayer experience. So, I think it's natural to take the whole feature-set into consideration.

But if you don't value multiplayer and what they did with NWN, then that's just where we differ.

I think the only "right" thing to remember, is how people are different.

Not had the sound on as I'm at work but it looks fine. Stupid editing knocking the different bits of footage together but can't see what the problem is?

Is there a problem?

If you like simplified action-driven combat in your Dragon Age sequel, there shouldn't be a problem for you.

Is there a problem?

If you like simplified action-driven combat in your Dragon Age sequel, there shouldn't be a problem for you.

I'm sure if you picked a gameplay video from say the Gothics it could easily look like simplified action driven stuff (albeit much more basic and less pretty).

I can't tell from the video whether there's any kind of depth or stats driven element to the game, I only skipped through it but didn't really see any interface to get a sense of what it'd actually be like to play.

Anyway, my main enjoyment of bioware games is plot & character, the combat just needs to not be so bad as to ruin the rest of the experience.

NWN was designed from the ground-up to be a multiplayer experience. So, I think it's natural to take the whole feature-set into consideration.
But if you don't value multiplayer and what they did with NWN, then that's just where we differ.

Your line of reasoning begins with a misinterpretion.
Your comment remind me about reviews that reduce the score for a singleplayer game with the comment "do not include multiplayer".

DA:O do not have a multiplayer setting, nor a module maker, so I find it natural that I judge what the two have in common; the singleplayer campaign.

Am I to judge the multiplayer setting, or the modulemaking utility, my conclusion is also very different. I had a blast playing the OC in NWN with my friends. One of the best multiplayer experiences we had. I also led a mod community for a couple of years.

I think the only "right" thing to remember, is how people are different.

Well, no.

A key function in our capacity of social interaction is our ability to not only assume that people are different, you must also give the effort to attempt to grasp someone else's point of view.

This process is threefold;
Step one is an attempt to try to understand someone else's point of view. The more experience you have with people, the more "kinds" of people you will be able to interpret correctly.

Step two is to suspend your judgement in order to evaluate the situation, chances are great that communication might go wrong, especially on the internet. Misinterpreting someone else is a very common and unfortunate reason for hostility between people. Restating someone elses position falsely is called a hayman and is even worse.

Step three is to try to find a common ground. The goal with this challenge is to find things you have in common in order to establish a mutual understanding, friendship, companionship, or at the worst situation, attempt to strike an agreement that you simply have different tastes.

Failure in any of these steps might lead to conflict which might lead to harm, hostility or other bad situations.

Back
Top Bottom