Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Preview @Wccftech - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Preview @Wccftech

Default Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Preview @Wccftech

May 17th, 2021, 11:34
Wccftech have written a preview for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.

Setting out to outdo their previous game, Owlcat Games seems to be on the right track to make Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous not only a better game but also a much more accessible one. Instead of letting the player figure out by themselves the complex mechanics that power the experience, or where to go to complete a quest, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous provides all the help needed to understand what is going on, with contextual tutorials every time a new mechanic is introduced and an intuitive system that lets players learn more not just about the mechanics, but also lore, locations, and characters by simply hovering over a highlighted item. The end result is a game that is enjoyable straight from the get-go.

And there is quite a lot to enjoy from the very beginning of Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, as the new game from Owlcat has upped the ante on pretty much every front. Reaching the Worldwound, where the opening of a rift to the Abyss has unleashed terror across the land, the player will have to lead the Crusade to crush the demon hordes that have invaded the world. The main character can be customized with an extensive character creator that lets you pick between 25 different classes with multiple archetypes all coming with unique traits and skills, 12 different races, and different moral alignments, making for an authentic Pathfinder experience where the player dictates with their choices how the world is shaped right from the start.

[…]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.
Silver is offline

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 8,931
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2021, 13:11
I like those in-game tutorials, Purple gave an example in her preview of WotR. The fact they pop-up right when it happens and that it's tailored to the names, stats and actual rolls makes them very didactic. A good implementation of hands-on teaching I suppose

How do you approach games like this? Are you reading bits of a rulebook before or when you stumble on something new? Or are you just checking the details of a roll with the UI?
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

#2

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 3,293
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 18th, 2021, 14:12
Still 4 months to release, so a lot can change, but it's looking good in general. I like a lot to have detailed tooltips, even if as a toggle option.

Nereida

Guest

#3

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2021, 14:57
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
I like those in-game tutorials, Purple gave an example in her preview of WotR. The fact they pop-up right when it happens and that it's tailored to the names, stats and actual rolls makes them very didactic. A good implementation of hands-on teaching I suppose

How do you approach games like this? Are you reading bits of a rulebook before or when you stumble on something new? Or are you just checking the details of a roll with the UI?
Yup, these were amazingly good (other than a couple of bugged ones when I played).

They provide a great deal of information that is customised to your characters and the on-screen situation.
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#4

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,542
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2021, 16:04
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Yup, these were amazingly good (other than a couple of bugged ones when I played).
Some of them made me smile, especially in the 1st beta

Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

#5

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 3,293
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 18th, 2021, 19:22
Another game to add to my list.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.
rune_74 is offline

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#6

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,630
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

May 18th, 2021, 20:56
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
Still 4 months to release
3 months, 15 days!
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Morrandir is online now

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#7

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2021, 00:24
But who's counting!!
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is offline

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#8

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 12,666
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2021, 01:32
I have been sinking in major hours. I have taken 3 new characters completely through chapter one so far (well the third I will finish tonight). I can't make up my mind … almost too many options.

Lobo - Human Feral Champion Warpriest of Gozeh (sp? the sky and water deity .. and I was so pleased last night when talking to someone I got a chance to "push" my deity by explaining where the wind came from … don't want to spoil so keeping it vague). He fights with claws (natural weapons) which I am finding to be very unique and different from regular weapons in many ways. He is going with Azata Mythic path of good and freedom. Neutral Good.

Wulver - Tiefling Sacred Huntsman (Inquisitor) and Knife Rogue with wolf animal companion. He is chaotic good and will be going the Trickster Mythic Path.

Garouf le Loup - Aasimar Demon Slayer (Ranger sub-class) with Wolf animal companion. He will be going the Angel Mythic Path.

I still have not found anything anywhere online about the Mythic Legend and how you do that. I assume by not taking any mythic path but its vague if something would later disqualify you if you used mythic powers. Ah well will find out eventually.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
wolfgrimdark is offline

wolfgrimdark

wolfgrimdark's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#9

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,238
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2021, 03:08
Sounds like there is plenty of content to unwrap. Can't wait!
Silver is offline

Silver

Silver's Avatar
Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

#10

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 8,931
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2021, 09:26
Originally Posted by wolfgrimdark View Post
Wulver - Tiefling Sacred Huntsman (Inquisitor) and Knife Rogue with wolf animal companion. He is chaotic good and will be going the Trickster Mythic Path.
My current character isn't far from this one of yours: inquisitor / sanctified slayer, that I liked because it gives rogue abilities like sneak attack. To change from eldritch scoundrel or arcane trickster, that's a divine caster class. Chaotic neutral, and I think I'll take the trickster mythic path too.

Not easy to keep chaotic neutral, some of the decisions push me towards CG, some of which I disagree with, they look way more neutral than good.
I still have not found anything anywhere online about the Mythic Legend and how you do that. I assume by not taking any mythic path but its vague if something would later disqualify you if you used mythic powers. Ah well will find out eventually.
It's only coming in the 5th chapter so you won't get that in the beta. You'll have to take some important decisions about your path in that chapter, and this option will come up among others (I don't know whether there are prerequisites for that one). Owlcat said that mechanically, this path was even more unique than most of the other paths, sounds very interesting.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

#11

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 3,293
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2021, 10:02
Originally Posted by wolfgrimdark View Post
I still have not found anything anywhere online about the Mythic Legend and how you do that. I assume by not taking any mythic path but its vague if something would later disqualify you if you used mythic powers. Ah well will find out eventually.
First time I've heard of this. Thanks!
Sounds interesting. I'm not a big fan of the Mystic paths anyways.
If you find out more, I'd like to hear about it.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Morrandir is online now

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#12

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2021, 10:47
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
First time I've heard of this. Thanks!
Sounds interesting. I'm not a big fan of the Mystic paths anyways.
If you find out more, I'd like to hear about it.
The mythic paths are the big feature of Wrath of the Righteous. It's actually very fun because it adds another layer of abilities to your character, and interesting quests.

That's what they say about Legend on the Kickstarter page:
You also have the option to decline all celestial powers and walk the path of the Legend—а human capable of great deeds. The acts of a mortal are sometimes more inspiring than those of any deity. Several gods of Golarion were humans before they ascended to godhood, including the crusade’s patron deity, Iomedae. One need not be a mythic creature, an outsider, or one of the goddesses's chosen to become a hero. This path may be a hard one, full of temptation, but the mortal who treads it rightly earns their title: Mythic Legend.
I'm curious to see how it differs from the others. And there is apparently yet another path option they haven't revealed, they have to keep some surprises for the final release
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

#13

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 3,293
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2021, 12:35
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
The mythic paths are the big feature of Wrath of the Righteous. It's actually very fun because it adds another layer of abilities to your character, and interesting quests.
Yep, I've played the alpha and got an impression.
Two reasons why I'm not a fan:

The first is merely a personal one. I don't ike my characters to become to powerful and "epic" too quickly. In a computer RPG this almost always happens by design anyway. It's desired to give players a feeling of progression, the possibility to play around with builds, and step by step exploration of new mechanics (e.g. spells, feats etc.).
Now with the mystic paths the problem is even bigger. The characters become more powerful even faster.

The second one is that I think it was a strategically wrong decision to include this additional layer in the base game. The pathfinder system already is quite complex by today's RPG standards. Adding another layer even more scares away new players who are not experienced with the Pathfinder ruleset.

In my opinion mystic paths would have been a perfect feature for an expansion or a sequel (with a character import from WotR). By then the players would have experimented with and fully explored the basic system. So the additional layer would really be a exciting feature.
Also the problem of the characters becoming too powerfull too fast would have been scaled down.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Morrandir is online now

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#14

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2021, 13:38
@Morrandir I see what you mean, those are valid points but I have the impression they go against the nature of this new game.

The player is meant to be more powerful to fight off the demons, which have held their territory for a long time and are now threatening to destroy what little is left. It's comparable to those extensions where you reach higher levels. It's completely different than Kingmaker, and very epic in nature. Yet they learned from their mistakes and don't want the game to stretch for 200+ hours, they opted for replay value instead (which is good, there are so many possibilities). So the whole evolution has to happen within a reasonable amount of time.

It's not that fast, IMO, still tens of hours before getting those first glimpse of power. And it's complex, for sure, but there's time to learn, and a very good support from the UI. However, I'm expecting to see new people to the genre commenting about complexity, there's nothing for it. It was the case in Kingmaker, especially since they ported that on consoles (usually a different audience).

In my opinion, they had to add this extra layer, otherwise there wouldn't have been much novelty, it would have felt like a mere DLC. They're growing, but they can't afford to work on several games at the same time yet, so the only way is a more ambitious game.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

#15

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 3,293
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2021, 14:13
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
@Morrandir I see what you mean, those are valid points but I have the impression they go against the nature of this new game.

The player is meant to be more powerful to fight off the demons, which have held their territory for a long time and are now threatening to destroy what little is left. It's comparable to those extensions where you reach higher levels. It's completely different than Kingmaker, and very epic in nature.
Yeah, i see know it fits the game setting, so it comes more natural.

Yet they learned from their mistakes and don't want the game to stretch for 200+ hours, they opted for replay value instead (which is good, there are so many possibilities). So the whole evolution has to happen within a reasonable amount of time.
Well, I don't think the long playtime was a problem in Kingmaker. I liked it. (I had 160 h while doing "everything".)
So the reduced playtime for WotR increases the problem again.

In my opinion, they had to add this extra layer, otherwise there wouldn't have been much novelty, it would have felt like a mere DLC. They're growing, but they can't afford to work on several games at the same time yet, so the only way is a more ambitious game.
I trust that they're creative enough that they could have designed novelty in other areas. There's tons of possibilities for improvement in regards to Kingmaker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for WotR and I'm sure I'll have lots of fun. But the mystic paths aren't what I'm looking forward to.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Morrandir is online now

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#16

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 19th, 2021, 15:00
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
Well, I don't think the long playtime was a problem in Kingmaker. I liked it. (I had 160 h while doing "everything".)
So the reduced playtime for WotR increases the problem again.
160 h is reasonable, you should get about the same in WotR according to the length of the beta, at least as completionist. You'll have to see, hopefully it's not too much power too early for you.
I trust that they're creative enough that they could have designed novelty in other areas. There's tons of possibilities for improvement in regards to Kingmaker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for WotR and I'm sure I'll have lots of fun. But the mystic paths aren't what I'm looking forward to.
Well, that was just my impression and understanding from their communications, it's not as if I had a long experience in building and selling games so I may be wrong They did improve on almost all features.

From what I saw, the mythic paths seem to rely on the pathfinder mechanisms. It's like two classes progressing in parallel, rather than additional rules and new concepts. So it shouldn't be overwhelming in complexity, at least to understand it, it only offers additional abilities and spells. It may be overwhelming in choices - I stared at my screen for quite a while before finally choosing the path and its abilities

I don't entirely disagree on complexity though. I have the feeling I will never been able to do more than scratch the surface of all the possibilities this game offers; the number of classes and archetypes alone is impressive. But I see that in a good way, not as a disadvantage. Was it necessary to add more? Maybe not, but I find it nice to explore, as long as it's not at the expense of the overall quality.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

#17

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 3,293
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 19th, 2021, 16:58
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
160 h is reasonable, you should get about the same in WotR according to the length of the beta, at least as completionist.
Ah, that sounds great. I feared it would be a lot shorter.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Morrandir is online now

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#18

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2021, 17:22
Strange how Owlcat always seems to feel the need to add unnecessary layers on the top of their very good games. Imo, Kingmaker would have been a better game without the kingdom management part. Hopefully, I won't feel the same with the crusade/army management of this new game,
vanedor is offline

vanedor

vanedor's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#19

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Quebec city
Posts: 971
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Default 

May 19th, 2021, 18:05
Originally Posted by vanedor View Post
Strange how Owlcat always seems to feel the need to add unnecessary layers on the top of their very good games. Imo, Kingmaker would have been a better game without the kingdom management part. Hopefully, I won't feel the same with the crusade/army management of this new game,
That depends on what bothered you in the kingdom management. It feels more like a part of the whole story in WotR and less like a disconnected feature, but it's still something else than the regular exploring/fighting/questing, something parallel.

What I played of it felt much lighter than Kingmaker's kingdom management. Sometimes you have to take care of it to access new locations, but it's not comparable to spending hours on Kingmaker's kingdom management before unlocking the next chapter.

They said we could turn it completely off so that it runs in the background but we'll have to see exactly how that's working out.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

#20

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 3,293
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Preview @Wccftech
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:27.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch