RPGWatch Feature - Lost Eidolons Interview

I apologize @Silver; if I misread your post. I guess it hit me the wrong way as it sounded like ... what I wrote already.

I simply feel that for some people it is important to relate to the main character for enjoyment if said main character is set versus being someone you can create (and of course that is also on a spectrum as sometimes even a "set" main character has some flexibility on race, gender, class, to various degrees).

Bit of a touch point with me when people suggest role playing isn't about playing yourself in a different world to various degrees because it is, and your post implied, to me anyhow, that you could only role play a game if you played a role completely different from oneself.

I connected well with Commander Sheperd and hence enjoyed the ME games a lot. I could not connect to Geralt, even though I admire and like him as a character, and consequently was never able to get into any of the witcher games and never finished any of them.

On another small tangent, and not to pick on Silver by any means, but I found this interesting:

Its hard yakka going against the grain on this forum.

Simply because I feel like I go against the grain of this forum a lot and yet Silver might have been saying the I am part of the grain.

So maybe a perception thing.

Two quick examples - I dislike turn based combat and I love relationships in games, especially deep friendships and romances.

Yet speak out against TB combat and sometimes the mob descends on you (think that is why Purple left the first time). As for romance and relationships in games you often find comments about people having no love life and living in basements if they enjoy game romances.

One reason it took me so long to start posting here is I felt was the odd ball going against the grain.

Based on Silver's comment I suspect many posters probably feel that from the perspective if they feel like people disagree with them a lot. We, as humans, probably also tend to remember disagreements more than agreements simply because that tends to create stronger emotional responses, which our brains will remember better.

More on topic whether I enjoy this main game will depend on how much I can connect to the main character and get into his character. I suspect I could based on what I have seen so far but not sold yet.

Hey y'all, thought I'd quip in on this (dev).

Lost Eidolons isn't a $50,000 budget game. It's much higher than that, but the crowdfunding campaign was to put our name out there (which fortunately worked! Our budding game community grew thanks to it), and also fund stretch goal features.

The decision to not allow character customization was set in stone early on in development. Not because we didn't want people to have the choice explicitly, but more so because the written narrative called for a character like Eden, the male protagonist. It's a similar reason as to why there are no major player choices throughout the campaign (though there are a couple that impact the ending), and it's more of carefully crafted linear story with a higher focus on the actual battles and unit growth.

I don't think we'd rule out the possibility of character customization or gender choice in a different title, but it was a pretty specific case for Lost Eidolons that we felt the story we wanted to tell with the game needed a specific character.

Apologies that this stirred up a contentious discussion on the matter. We're all for people being able to embody the role part of the roleplaying game genre, but it certainly is a case where we felt that including it could take a lot of resources and potentially muddle the narrative we wanted to tell for Lost Eidolons.

Our campaign successfully ended, and I'm happy to answer any other questions about the games that anyone may have!

First of all, appreciate you took the criticism graciously. It's not fun to read negative opinions about fundamental aspects of your game. I also tunnel-visioned too hard on the 50k kickstarter assuming that was the whole budget, which turned out to be wrong.

Either way, regarding the topic, it is the developer's choice, so it is what it is. As any artistic representation, the artist exposes their piece, and the viewers decide whether they want to admire the piece of art, or look another way, but the viewers shouldn't ever be the ones deciding how the piece of art should look, and I respect that.

My rambling is mostly vetted by disappointment because Lost Eidolons looks like a game that I would love to play if not for that one thing that will make it difficult for me to enjoy, so I wish you good luck and success to make tons of money out of Lost Eidolons and so that for the next game you'll have excess resources to implement the option for a female protagonist. ;)

Hey y'all, thought I'd quip in on this (dev).

Lost Eidolons isn't a $50,000 budget game. It's much higher than that, but the crowdfunding campaign was to put our name out there (which fortunately worked! Our budding game community grew thanks to it), and also fund stretch goal features.

The decision to not allow character customization was set in stone early on in development. Not because we didn't want people to have the choice explicitly, but more so because the written narrative called for a character like Eden, the male protagonist. It's a similar reason as to why there are no major player choices throughout the campaign (though there are a couple that impact the ending), and it's more of carefully crafted linear story with a higher focus on the actual battles and unit growth.

I don't think we'd rule out the possibility of character customization or gender choice in a different title, but it was a pretty specific case for Lost Eidolons that we felt the story we wanted to tell with the game needed a specific character.

Apologies that this stirred up a contentious discussion on the matter. We're all for people being able to embody the role part of the roleplaying game genre, but it certainly is a case where we felt that including it could take a lot of resources and potentially muddle the narrative we wanted to tell for Lost Eidolons.

Our campaign successfully ended, and I'm happy to answer any other questions about the games that anyone may have!

You really don't need to apologize for stirring things up here, since you didn't do anything. We do a good job of finding things to argue about ourselves. :)

This discussion was mostly about different preferences and the validity of them. And since we argue in written form, the nuances are often lost, leading to people feeling (and sometimes actually being) criticized needlessly.

I'm pretty sure most of us understand, in a non-professional manner, the limitations of adding choice due to both the nature of games and the increased costs it incurs. And most of us are also fine with a developer sticking to their artistic vision. I prefer being able to create my character, but as you say it doesn't fit this game and I'm fine with that. It still looks interesting.

Do your thing, and good luck! :)

Oh, BTW I think it looks very immersive with the fighting videos with several characters fighting and being active when one attacks. It makes it feel more like a battle and not just a board game.

Thanks for joining the discussion, Saintone, we love it when a game creator pops in to join the feedback/thoughts on a project. Your explanation with why you went with what you did as far as gender works for me, story always trumps characters. Keep up the great work and I look forward to playing this sometime in the future!

They will be releasing a short term demo for this tomorrow.

Greetings, tacticians!
The team at Ocean Drive Studio is very excited to share that Lost Eidolons will be available to try out for everyone during the Steam Next Fest demo event starting tomorrow, June 16th at 10:00 AM PST!
It will be available to play until the following week, June 22nd at 10:00 AM PST.
This demo is our first available playable one that our team worked hard to get prepared for this event. We wanted an opportunity for our community and backers to get their hands on the game so they could have an idea of what to expect in the future!
You'll jump right into the fray with Eden and his comrades on their campaign to overtake key enemy strongholds. The demo features the combat portions of episodes 7 and 8 along with the camp outgame section.
You'll also be able to see a few of the cutscenes fully animated, however, note that voice acting has not yet been implemented in this build and the graphical fidelity is also not final. Saving is not yet available so during the course of the demo, a temporary button has been provided that allows you to skip sections of the game. If for example, you want to skip directly to the combat portion of episode 8, you will be able to do that for this demo. Additionally, while additional language options may be available, some text strings are incomplete and may still be in English.
Overall, this is an early look at the game and is not representative of the final build later on!

Units will be provided to the player that the game team has thought would be appropriate for this stage of the game. At this time, only one standard difficulty is provided, which is the game's 'Challenging' difficulty.
Within the camp after each episode, you'll be able to complete a few small sidequests, check out a few shops, see the job advancement tree, train your units, and improve your relationship with a few of the camp's inhabitants. This is an early look at just some of the camp activities that can be done between each episodic battle.
We'll also be streaming on the first day on the Steam store page as well starting at 10:00 AM PST as opening up new sections in the community discussion boards for feedback and bug reports!
We hope to see you all try it out!

Show support and stay involved—let Ocean Drive Studio know you read this update.

That we are!

This is a really, really early look at the game, but we wanted to make this available so that people have a good idea of what to expect from the game, especially from people who backed it.

The demo is available to everyone until June 22nd.

If you guys end up having any feedback, I'll be regularly reading these forums. Questions about anything in particular are also welcome!

The game is very nice looking - I liked how immersed I was at the war camp (which was much larger than expected).

The hardest part is figuring out the controls.

I was reminded of Greedfall a few times while playing. Not sure why. Something about the characters and visuals, graphic wise, made me think of it. Very different story and game of course.

Back
Top Bottom