Genshin Impact - Review @ NeverKnowsBest

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
NeverKnowsBest checked out Genshin Impact:

A serious critique of Genshin Impact

A serious review and critique of Genshin Impact, the gacha genre, and maybe a few other things along the way.
More information.

TL; DR version:

It's a great game if you don't have a gambling/collecting addiction and you are ready to spend a lot of time in the game.

He made that analysis mainly because it was one of the first games he tried in the scope of his video on Chinese indie games 2 months ago. Normally not his genre.

Not mine either, even if there wasn't the whole gacha issue, I never liked this style.

I've watched a bit of the beginning, only because it was very interesting to see the impact of those monetization-based games on some people, especially the guy who had spend more than 70000$ (yes, seventy thousands) on one game and sheepishly admits he'd rather not think about it. And it's not even considering the time spent on the game.

Scary, like many other addictions.

Yeah, transactions like those are what got me quite sick and tired of Everquest maybe seven years ago, now. Once you introduce something like that, you can forget game balance and fairness, that all goes right out the window, and quality/integrity of the entire game right along with it.

Oh god not another Genshin Impact thread were it derails into gacha addition once again. Please I don't need Hidden X or Joxer defending the game for the 100th time.:p

I'm not defending the game, but I'll continue to post newsbits about it, because it is the most successful single player RPG right now.
And I'll will continue to play it myself with very low money spending.

There are only 6 other game series in which I spent more than 1000 hours for an equally amount of money:

Left 4 Dead
Gothic
Jagged Alliance
Elder Scrolls / ESO
Far Cry
Wizardry

I keep meaning to give this a try simply to see what it's all about. I can assure you that the microtransaction monster will not slay me! I figure I'll know pretty quickly if it's for me or not.

I'll only pay for a game once; when I buy it. If any game asks for money afterward to play any further portion, buy equipment or perks, it's a no-go for me. That's total B.S.

If anyone falls for games that ask for or offer junk for further money, they are saps and suckers.

This being most succesfull (financially I assume) contemporary RPG is damn scary.
Means we can expect more games designed this way in near future. Thanks god for
niche developers as Im sure as hell not gonna touch those with 20 foot pole.

I had to watch more, to understand.

The monetization system isn't bad, after all, provided the player is aware of what they're getting in return and whether it's worth it for them. We're used to pay upfront so gacha or even subscription seems wrong (I still hate it MS makes 365 a service now). And there is a risk to pay by habit and being inefficient about it, vendors are probably counting on it. But I understand why some people prefer that system rather than paying an expensive game before even being able to play it (I liked the reference to CP2077 by the way).

So I suppose if one is smart about it, it's a good deal. It almost seems like taking profit of a system meant to take profit of many other unaware players ;) But aren't all profitable investments like that... There really should be safeguards though. Something else to add to kids' education.

Even if I don't like the style - and once again it's personal, I see that's a very nicely created world, and apparently a huge one, which must be fun and relaxing to explore.

I'm not defending the game, but I'll continue to post newsbits about it, because it is the most successful single player RPG right now.
And I'll will continue to play it myself with very low money spending.
Look bro no one is saying you can't post these news-bits. My sarcastic reply was each time you do the comments are always the same. From skeptics, and game loyalists.

I'm happy when these news-bits get no comments, but I'm not that lucky.:p

Be the change you want to see. :)
Should I send a reminder to HiddenX.:p

My not commenting changes nothing as the thread had replies already.:devilish:

I have not played this game, but this felt like a nicely balanced review, NeverKnowsBest really makes excellent videos. If I wasn't invested in other games right now, I might even go try it out.

Back
Top Bottom