Windows 11 - Page 6 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Windows 11

Default Windows 11

September 1st, 2021, 10:05
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Do you know if Win 10 users get free upgrades ?
There will be a free upgrade path for Windows 10 users. The only requirement will be moderately up to date hardware.
AFAIK, the upgrade is supposed to work from Intel 7th gen on up, i.e. you will need a CPU like an i7-7700K as min spec, although the verdict on that is not final yet. Motherboard makers are currently rolling out BIOS updates for older boards since a TPM and SecureBoot is a requirement for Windows 11.

What Couch did not mention is that October 5th is the official release date for Windows 11 on new PCs/laptops only. The rollout for existing Win 10 users as a free upgrade will happen in waves, as with the Windows 10 upgrade, in the first half of 2022.

Your Windows Update service on Windows 10 will not regularly offer you the upgrade until some time next year.

As always, you will certainly be able to skip the line and download Windows 11 installers (like the current beta) before you are officially eligible for the upgrade.

I will probably patiently wait for my turn. The features that matter for us gamers the most are DirectStorage (no supported games on the horizon so far) and Auto HDR if you have a HDR capable screen.
Windows 11 might also be interesting for people who buy a new Intel Alder Lake CPU later this year as Windows 11 has a new task scheduler with optimizations for big.LITTLE designs (Alder Lake i9-12900K has eight big cores and eight smaller ones).

Other than that, it is probably best to just wait with Win 11 until next year when the first few updates will hopefully have fixed the most glaring issues.

Moriendor

Grumpy Cat

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

September 1st, 2021, 10:37
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
You should as long as your key is legit and has no errors.

Link - https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-a…ee-update-now/

All non WIN 10 users will have to pay or find another-way.

I 'm looking at you Win 7 users.
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
There will be a free upgrade path for Windows 10 users. The only requirement will be moderately up to date hardware.
AFAIK, the upgrade is supposed to work from Intel 7th gen on up, i.e. you will need a CPU like an i7-7700K as min spec, although the verdict on that is not final yet. Motherboard makers are currently rolling out BIOS updates for older boards since a TPM and SecureBoot is a requirement for Windows 11.

What Couch did not mention is that October 5th is the official release date for Windows 11 on new PCs/laptops only. The rollout for existing Win 10 users as a free upgrade will happen in waves, as with the Windows 10 upgrade, in the first half of 2022.

Your Windows Update service on Windows 10 will not regularly offer you the upgrade until some time next year.

As always, you will certainly be able to skip the line and download Windows 11 installers (like the current beta) before you are officially eligible for the upgrade.

I will probably patiently wait for my turn. The features that matter for us gamers the most are DirectStorage (no supported games on the horizon so far) and Auto HDR if you have a HDR capable screen.
Windows 11 might also be interesting for people who buy a new Intel Alder Lake CPU later this year as Windows 11 has a new task scheduler with optimizations for big.LITTLE designs (Alder Lake i9-12900K has eight big cores and eight smaller ones).

Other than that, it is probably best to just wait with Win 11 until next year when the first few updates will hopefully have fixed the most glaring issues.
Thanks both.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
+1:

September 1st, 2021, 10:45
I'm in no hurry to upgrade to win11. I think I'll wait to see all the negative changes they plan on bringing over. Plus that'll also give me a more stable experience.

It will be annoying to upgrade to 11 in the future, on new hardware. I currently have a win10 retail copy. Will I have to constantly go through win10 to get to 11, and future iterations? Or will my win10 key work on win11 copies?

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

September 1st, 2021, 16:47
It was already painful enough to leave Win7 for Win10, I'll probably get Win11 as late as possible (if I don't switch entirely to Linux by then).

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

September 1st, 2021, 19:05
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
It will be annoying to upgrade to 11 in the future, on new hardware. I currently have a win10 retail copy. Will I have to constantly go through win10 to get to 11, and future iterations? Or will my win10 key work on win11 copies?
Your Windows 10 key should work, I guess, but as far as I know, Microsoft will make a Microsoft account mandatory for Windows 11. At least for the Home version.

Your copy of Windows 11 will then be bound to your Microsoft account so if you want to reinstall then you just need to log in to your MS account and -voila- your copy is activated.

It is already like that for Windows 10 if you want to. You can bind your Windows credentials to your MS account. I have Windows 10 Pro, which I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate so the last and only key I have for Windows is a Windows 7 Ultimate key.

When I clean installed my Windows 10, I logged into my MS account to establish a link between my copy of Windows 10 and my MS account.

After Windows 10 setup was completed, I returned to a local account for login so that I do not always have to use my MS account. I hope that we'll be able to do the same with Windows 11. I do not want to have to use my MS account permanently but five minutes during setup just for authentication would be tolerable.

Moriendor

Grumpy Cat

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

September 1st, 2021, 19:24
Directstorage will be coming to win10.

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

September 2nd, 2021, 07:11
My relatively new touchscreen laptop still hasn't displayed any significant bugs, so I decided to install it on my main machine. That's a dual boot Arch Linux machine, but I wasn't expecting any issues because the Windows drive is untouched; all the custom boot stuff is handled by functionality on the separate Linux drive. Just remove the Linux drive and set it to boot from the Windows one, and you have a standard Windows box.

Alas, the upgrade process kept on coming up with arcane errors and failing. One of the errors was something about not being able to determine if I had enough storage space. This was weird, because I had oodles of storage space, even on the hidden partitions that Windows likes.

Eventually I worked out that something was wrong with the recovery partition, but only because when going into recovery mode there weren't as many entries as there should have been. Anyway, fixed that via the command line and then it installed without a hitch.
If only they put something meaningful in their errors.

Now I get an error where the taskbar doesn't show up properly sometimes. Logging out and back in usually fixes it. It's being reported by quite a few guinea pigs users at the moment, so I imagine that there will be a fix for that pretty soon. Weird how my much more niche laptop is the one without issues.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Windows 11