Owlcat Games - Dev Stream with Paizo

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Owlcat Games hosted a stream to celebrate the 3rd anniversary of Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and discuss various topics on the Pathfinder theme - including the possibility of a third game by Owlcat Games. Paizo guests are James Jacob (Creative Director) and Mark Moreland (Director of Brand Strategy), and Owlcat Games is represented by Alex, Yuliya and Lisa.

Dev Stream with Paizo

Special stream for Kingmaker Anniversary and Wrath of the Righteous release! Our Guests: James Jacobs (Creative Director) and Mark Moreland (Director of Brand Strategy) from Paizo.
(stream starts at 4:22)

Thanks @purpleblob1! :)

More information.

More details about the discussion on what's next. Keep in mind it's a speculative discussion, as the people participating to the stream, no decision has been made yet.

They also mention that right now, the whole team is very busy working on bugs, so nothing is being made at the moment.

Apparently, its around 1:26:45 mark.

Paizo even asked audience what they'd like to see and top 3 votes were Skull & Shackles, Iron Gods and Rise of the Runelords.

Apparently, they also discussed what other APs were considered before Owlcats decided on WotR - which were Mummy's Mask, Ironfang Invasion and Jade Regent?

Wotr is really great. Bugs aside, its best game I played since Kingmaker. Of course, Im biased as this is my favorite genre and similarity to D&D is also big plus.

Regarding to future games or additional content, Im open minded towards any background, with one exception. Please, dont do pirates.

Nothing against Owlcat but I lost all respect for Paizo after the recent scandals came to light on how they pay and treat factory workers. I'm glad they finally unionized.:(

Tabletop RPG Workers Say Their Jobs Are No Fantasy - Wired
Last week, Paizo employees announced they had formed a union with the Communication Workers of America—the first of its kind for the TTRPG industry. “Paizo’s workers are underpaid for their labor, required to live in one of the most expensive cities in the United States, and subjected to untenable crunch conditions on a regular basis,” union representatives said in a statement. A group of 40 Paizo freelancers are also refusing to accept Paizo contracts. The actions come after a wave of allegations against the company made by former employees last month on Twitter, involving below-living-wage pay, overwork, and abuse.

I have no idea what happened at Paizo but workers forming unions is always good news.

Wotr is really great. Bugs aside, its best game I played since Kingmaker. Of course, Im biased as this is my favorite genre and similarity to D&D is also big plus.

Regarding to future games or additional content, Im open minded towards any background, with one exception. Please, dont do pirates.

I'm not keen on pirates either but excited about their next AP regardless :)

I think the last "pirates" game I played was Pillars of Eternity 2. It was OK but I agree I'm not all into the maritime environments. I view the sea like Lovecraft did; best left alone due to the unknown horrors contained within its depths.

My bet would be that they're going to Numeria or at least have the new content evolve around Technology. They've already done a bit of it in WotR in the
Blackwater
dungeon, so they already have some assets. Plus it would be something new to the series.
I'm not a big fan of it though, so I hope do be wrong.

Believe we had three threads on the forum about this discussion already.:p

Link - https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47159

It's either a new IP game called Starfinder which is the future of Pathfinder.
Starfinder is based on Paizo's previous game, Pathfinder, and like its predecessor uses the d20 system created by Wizards of the Coast for Dungeons & Dragons. Starfinder shares its setting with Pathfinder, set in its far future after Golarion, the planet that Pathfinder was set on, had mysteriously disappeared in an event called "The Gap".

The history of the planet during the disappearance is lost to all races, preventing players from returning and interfering with previous events in the Pathfinder timeline, while also acting as the foundation of Starfinder's own timeline. Because Starfinder shares its past with Pathfinder, races and monsters of the Pathfinder setting persist in the Starfinder universe alongside new alien races from other worlds. Magic remains a part of the game's mechanics, often intertwined with high-level technology.

In the time since the Gap, allied races formed an alliance called the Pact Worlds for diplomacy, trade, and technological sharing, with Absalom Station as their focal point for these activities. An organization called the Starfinder Society, based on Absalom Station and other planets, was established to seek out pre-Gap technology and any information that may have explained what happened prior to that event.
Or it's another Pathfinder game set in the region called Numeria.

Link - https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Numeria,_Land_of_Fallen_Stars
Thousands of years ago, a massive spaceship from a distant world broke apart in the atmosphere above Golarion, showering down alien debris and technological wonders, an event known as the "Rain of Stars" �onto the plains of Numeria. Largely kept within this land by the barbarian natives' superstition and hostility as well as the greed and jealousy of the magical cabal known as the Technic League, the technology from this advanced culture has defined Numeria over the centuries. Now, nomadic warriors and metal men clash in radioactive badlands, and treasure-seekers from across the Inner Sea flock to the strange metal dungeons that pepper the landscape. What mysteries of super-science await you in this magical land?
I have no idea what happened at Paizo but workers forming unions is always good news.
Pasizo treated the workers like crap. Minimal pay, long working hours, hardly any benefits, and of course sexual abuse & mismanagement. The link has all the info.

Still go on and support them and buy their products.:biggrin:

Last edited:
My bet would be that they're going to Numeria or at least have the new content evolve around Technology. They've already done a bit of it in WotR in the
Blackwater
dungeon, so they already have some assets. Plus it would be something new to the series.
I'm not a big fan of it though, so I hope do be wrong.

Yes, I'd say Iron Gods is very strong candidate :)

I wasn't too keen on Iron Gods earlier, but the more I hear about it on discord the more I like it :)

I had a quick browse through the list of existing Pathfinder APs and I really like Jade Regent and War for the Crown - I hope Owlcats will work on these one day :)

The "spaceship" section of WotR was the single lamest and most immersion-breaking area of the game to my own tastes, besides being generally badly designed and feeling off both in pace and difficulty balance, so I hope they stick to fantasy and cut out the shenanigans.

In the bright side, being a full sci-fi setting would be better than chucking crashed futuristic spaceships in the fantasy setting.

Last edited:

In the bright side, being a full sci-fi setting would be better than chucking crashed futuristic spaceships in the fantasy setting.

Please hide the "..."ed part within spoiler tags. Many of us are waiting for the game to be patched before we pick it up and would like to avoid spoilers.

Please hide the "…"ed part within spoiler tags. Many of us are waiting for the game to be patched before we pick it up and would like to avoid spoilers.

My bad! I'll fix it now.

I didn't think of it, WotR being so far behind in the past for me at this point.

I'm sorry you had to read that, genuinely didn't mean to spoil it for anyone.

Don't feel bad I still get called out for spoiling 10 year old RPGs.:biggrin:

Well, I play it since release and after 145 hours Im hardly somewhere in the middle. So I would say its still pretty actual game for some of us :)

TB combat must be main reason why it takes me so long. But its not getting tedious, at least to me. Im having lost of fun with it. Wish I had more time for gaming in my life :)

495 hours in early access + 150 hours so far post release and I'm no where near bored ;)

I love this game :D

Back
Top Bottom