Valheim - First Impression - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Valheim - First Impression

Default Valheim - First Impression

July 22nd, 2021, 18:47
Purpleblob gives her first impression of Valheim, a survival single/coop RPG in Early Access:

Impression: Our journey through Valheim - entry #1

Helga woke up to a sound of coals burning from the brazier above her, enjoying the warmth washing over her as the dawn light started to stream into their room.

It was an ordinary day and there were a lots of chores to be done. Helga and Kell quickly split their chores - Kell headed off to the nearby forest to chop down trees to make coals and smelt the ores mined the other day. After tending to boars in the pen, Helga proceeded to harvest turnips and carrots, then made her way to beehive grove to check if the bees are happy.

It was a peaceful day.

…until two trolls showed up with a club in their hand and proceeded on cleaving Kell and Helga's house in half.

Welcome to Valheim.

RIP our training rock, smashed into pieces by stupid trolls *shakes fist* - we still miss you

Our journey began as Hugin, the (un)friendly crow, dropped us - Helga and Kell - onto Valheim, a fearsome land full of our God Odin's enemies. We were destined to survive and defeat these creatures in order to prove our worth to our God.

…unfortunately, I disappointed Odin on my first day in Valheim by getting killed by a group of boars. Oops!

Scared and lost, Kell and I huddled up to a small campfire we had built for the night - unable to sleep without a shelter and a bed.

Next day, we desperately searched for a good place to settle - somewhere relatively flat, with plenty of resources but far away from too much danger. We found a spot in meadows where we could reach forest within a few minutes of stroll and with a beautiful view of a snowy mountain nearby.

Delighted, we quickly threw up a small house, just big enough to place two beds, a workstation and a campfire to keep us warm. By the time we were done with construction of our first home, it was already well into a night. Exhausted, I was eager to hit the bed but something was concerning Kell. I asked in an annoyed tone - "why aren't you coming to bed?" Kell spat out a thick cough in response.

Something was wrong.

[…]
Thanks Redglyph!

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

July 24th, 2021, 13:18
I've been holding off on Valheim, but it's getting harder to not give it a go. I'm not a huge fan of base building but every other part of the game seems like a good time. The sales and reviews are incredible for such a small team.

Nice to see Purpleblob writing about a game since she left this site because of a few clowns.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

July 24th, 2021, 14:38
I picked it up a while back but while I enjoyed the mechanics the graphics I just couldn't get into for whatever reason. It's a neat game though. I may give it a second try at some point, since I decided to keep it (it was cheap) and on rare occasions I find a second try at a different time and mood can change my mind, although its very rare (POE 1 was one of those games I didn't like at first but it grew on me to be a favorite later).
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
+1:

July 24th, 2021, 15:51
It must be fun to play it in coop, building and expanding a little house or village, exploring and defeating big bosses to get upgrades… Many different occupations.

Reminds me of a coop community-made campaign I did with a friend in NWN, of which I've kept fond memories. It was a classic story-oriented campaign though, not survival / exploration. I'm not a big fan of MMOs, too streamlined and just too big, but coop can be very fun.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
+1:

July 24th, 2021, 16:51
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
I've been holding off on Valheim, but it's getting harder to not give it a go. I'm not a huge fan of base building but every other part of the game seems like a good time. The sales and reviews are incredible for such a small team.

Nice to see Purpleblob writing about a game since she left this site because of a few clowns.
Valheim is a fun little game. I bought it even though it was an early access game as theres no forced requirements and even if it never goes past this stage it could be considered 'finished'. Its not as detailed in basebuilding as The Forest but next patch will probably make it equal.

The idea of tracking down the bosses is fun. Getting oneshot by blood mosquito the first time… lol

Clowns = Anyone that did not worship at the feet of Owlcat.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
+1:

July 24th, 2021, 17:58
That's a rather splendid review by Purple, it's not normally the type of game I'd gravitate to, can it be played fine just solo, or is the co-op a necessity?

More Purple in '21 and '22, make it so!!~

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

July 24th, 2021, 18:21
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
That's a rather splendid review by Purple, it's not normally the type of game I'd gravitate to, can it be played fine just solo, or is the co-op a necessity?

More Purple in '21 and '22, make it so!!~
They 100% catered to solo first. Its great coop of course but totally doable soloable. Once I got over the graphics I realized how many things just work well together. Spawn timers, grow timers etc. Very single orientated.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 24th, 2021, 18:31
Not my kind of game, but I appreciate the impressions nonetheless.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)

July 24th, 2021, 21:32
Thanks Wisdom, now I'm even more open to it than I was earlier!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

July 27th, 2021, 01:11
Started playing. 383 hours later…

Since COVID hit and I was stuck at home, I did a few survival games. I had a server up for Wednesday night gaming with the grognards (we were in lockdown). We started with 7 Days to Die, went to Valheim after we burned out on that. I'm over 2,000 hours with 7 Days. What the hell happened to my life?
--
This is a signature.

Wenzil

The Real Sasquatch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

July 27th, 2021, 01:52
Originally Posted by Wenzil View Post
I'm over 2,000 hours with 7 Days to Die
@crpgnut looks like you have some serious competition here.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)

July 27th, 2021, 03:26
He's got me beat. I stopped at 1065
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)

July 27th, 2021, 04:10
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Couldnt you have stopped at 1024?
--

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

July 27th, 2021, 06:03
Wow, I've done less than 200 of 7DTD, across two accounts, and I thought that was lots

I've played a few hours of Valheim. It was decent enoough, but I'm probably going to wait until we can put it into our co-op rota.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

July 27th, 2021, 06:39
You still died 44 times, that's a lot.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

July 27th, 2021, 11:29
I'm not interested in the game, but I just noticed that it's possible to host the game on a dedicated server. This is huge. Would be awesome if that became a trend again.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

July 27th, 2021, 11:54
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
I'm not interested in the game, but I just noticed that it's possible to host the game on a dedicated server. This is huge. Would be awesome if that became a trend again.
I think it's also the case of Divinity: Original Sin 2, Baldur's Gate 3 and other games with a co-op feature. The cost of maintaining servers wouldn't be justified by piracy (being forced to use an official login, which could be enforced independently anyway these days). Maybe as a service to provide constant servers with other people to play with? But it would be more efficient to manage that separately by providing an IP address.

So I don't see another way to do it.

Anyway, it's comforting to know it's possible to setup one's server independently of any provider

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

July 27th, 2021, 15:07
Man, I've died hundreds of times in 7D2D. Their record keeping sucks
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)

July 27th, 2021, 18:50
Man, I've died hundreds of times in 7D2D. Their record keeping sucks
I thought about playing this. Is it mandatory shared server? Can you play it solo?
--

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 27th, 2021, 21:53
Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
I thought about playing this. Is it mandatory shared server? Can you play it solo?
You can play single player/solo/local in 7DTD. You don't have to play on a server.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Valheim - First Impression